Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 12:08 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:27 pm 

I had a problem with my boat a while back blowing one of the main fuses on my Mercury 60 hp motor. I would be running along the water on plane and all of a sudden everything would shut down leaving me stranded on the water in the middle of the lake. I took it to the Dealer where I bought it in Houston, and they "fixed" it while it was still under warranty. They said it was a bad voltage regulator.
The problem resurfaced this week and now not under any kind of warranty. I was running on plane, and everything shut down like it did before. I removed the cowling and found that same 15 amp fuse had blown. I replaced it with a spare fuse and ran idle speed back to the boat ramp.
I then took the boat to Watercraft Services in Huffman and mentioned Weatherman sent me. The real problem was then found. A short in one of the wires was being caused by a long protruding bolt on a bracket on the motor. Vibration from the motor caused the wires to rub against the bolt which blew the fuse. At idle speed, the vibration wasn't enough to short the wire out.
I appreciate the recommendation by Weatherman as I didn't have to wait 3 weeks or more to get my boat repaired.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

I have been wondering where you have been becks. Hope they rerouted the wire so
it wont do that again or changed out that bolt. You have been missing a lot of good
crappie fishing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:11 pm 

I'm glad to hear little brother got you back to fishing my tall friend. We got some catching up to do. Will PM you next week with some info on a new spot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:19 am 

Sticko, he rerouted the wires and replaced the long bolt with a smaller length bolt. I hope to get out on the water this week and run it around to some of my favorite fishing spots. I look forward to getting back to fishing this week.
Weatherman, I'll be looking for that pm next week.