Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:10 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:16 pm 

Well it's that time , to plan our 3rd Guatalupe River Run , Year 1 , was a hoot on Canyon Lake , Mc Queeny and Dunlap where I caught the Lake Record Warmouth Perch that Trip, year 2 was pretty good on Inks Lake and LBJ (hit a wild School of Whites). Now the question is Where to go this Year. I'm not real fond of Rocky Lakes with little Cover, so this year looking for Ideas for out trip where we can camp in a State Park or Corp of Engineers Park , first choices. Anybody have any ideas within the State or a bordering State. We really try To concentrate on Sun Perch and Crappie ,Whites as an Alternative Catch we generally stay Sunday thru Friday. Any Suggestions would be Appreciated if you've fished Somewhere that really Impressed ya! in the Spring late March or April . Thanks in advance OLHIPI .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:51 am 

T-Bend or Big Sam would be the ticket for a good time to load up on bream with the bass and crappie eating in 7-13 fow feeding up before heading back out to there summer homes.

Morning you could fish shallow for bass while looking for bream beds to work later when the bass move out and could still be crappie in 7 - 13 fow feeding up before they return back to thier summer homes.

look for open sandy areas in 3 - 8 fow and look for the lil bowl shapped nesting areas and throw a cricket or lil red worms on em and catch as many bream as you want to clean each day. Or go back as far into the feeder creeks and fish the wood laydowns / stumps, buck brush and grass areas also.

The crappie may still be on secondary points in the arms / feeder creeks. Do a lil strolling / long lineing with 1/16 oz road runner's to cover more water as you look for where they are actively feeding, and the outside edges of grass mats. Once you locate the type cover they are on you should be able to duplicate same type area's to find and catch em. You know the color I'd be using for the road runner, beep beep.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:24 am 
Site Admin

That would be my choice also. They have two state parks one north and one south and cypress
bend park. That time of the year the crappie will be up shallow or just coming off the beds.
fun to stroll over the tops of or along the hydrilla beds for them. or tie up and just cast a jig
to the edges of the grass lines with a road runner and little fishy . white with black or blue back.
Black/truse is the number one color on toledo bend . The state parks are on LA side but Texas fishing
licenses work on that side . Lot of good eating places around if you get tired of cooking out.
tackle and boat and troll motor repair on 2100 just on the la side of the main bridge . laundry
facility if it rains and you need to dry your clothes out. wacky worms work great on bedding bass
along with the red shad traps. worlds best lake for numbers of good size sunfish. might even get
a chain pike. Boat lanes marked good on the la side not so much on the texas side. all of the lake is
good fishing North south or mid way.
not many people know but you can stroll for sunfish just use a lite cricket hook and live cricket
with a tiny split shot on the line let this out behind the boat and move slowly along .lots of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:54 pm 

We've considered old Sam , but I think we've decided to go to Granger Lake I've never been there and go to Lake Travis for Perch, my buddy caught 25 keeper perch there two weeks ago. Thanks Guys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:32 pm 

Take some pics when ya go.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:16 pm 

I know you told me but what was the weight on that warmouth olhipi?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:27 pm 

A whopping .62 lbs I was sure it was a fluke. But nope it was the real deal the record I broke was14 years old. Of .50 lbs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:30 pm 

We've decided on Granger Lake, NW of Austin for 5 days, First week of April.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 940.34 KiB | Viewed 300 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:59 pm 

OLHIPI, I know you just set the lake for this year's trip, but next year take a look at Fort Parker State Park. We just had some friends camp there and the sites are phenomenal. Not sure about the fishing on the main lake, but below the dam holds some decent numbers of whites year round that come up from Lake Limestone.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:38 am 

Good luck and looks like it may fish like lake houston as never been there, but the lake site has this info.

bass poor, crappie best, white bass good, catfish best, and see the water may be off color as little to no grass, = Normal Clarity: Turbid to moderately turbid, so you should be able to use the regular colors you already have got in your tackle boxes.

Give us a update on your fish catches and wish you all fill the boxes with them slabs and slimmers.