Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:05 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: In-Ground Pool, 101
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:43 am 

Purchased a house with an in-ground pool. Is there a local forum for pool owners??? Being a first time pool owner, not sure where to even begin.

Post subject: Re: In-Ground Pool, 101
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:24 am 
Site Admin

you can find some good stuff on youtube here is some tips

from lowes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDQSSYwhWEM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:12 am 

My best advice , being that i used to install in the ground pools is, hire a pool company to maintain it for u. You will be glad u did after a while i will pick up on things . Is it saltwater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:03 pm 

Fairly easy but takes some getting use to. Keep it chlorinated, shock as needed (do some reading on this, depends on time of year and how much activity it gets), keep it brushed and backwash it frequently to keep the filter in good shape (don't forget to add DE after you back wash). Hopefully your filter has a pressure gauge. If so then note the pressure right after a backwash and when it gets 10 psi above that its time to do it again. You'll need to make an entry in your budget for chemicals and misc stuff because much like golf, retailers assume that if you own a pool then you can afford crazy prices! :)

If you want to get into more complicated stuff you can learn about maintaining your Polaris (if you have one), completely cleaning the filter (taking it apart and hosing it down) and other things like replacing seals and valves.

2 of the biggest things I have seen friends of mine miss:

1. When you backwash you have to put more DE in the filter (if you have a sand filter or something more complicated then definitely hire someone). Backwashing is the act of removing the existing filter material and junk it has caught and flushing it away (usually into the sewer but older pools dump into the street which is bad if it is DE as that stuff is toxic). So if you just backwash and do nothing else then your filter is not going to be effective.

2. Do not forget to clean the Strainer. This is a small basket right in front of the pump. This is different than the Skimmer baskets. Those catch big stuff but little things will get through. The Strainer, much like a pasta strainer has smaller holes and protects the pump. If this gets full your pump will have to work harder and will shorten its life.

By the way, I am just a homeowner. Not a pool professional but I went through the same thing 6 years ago. Now I am pretty proficient at all the things I mentioned. Even repaired several broken parts on the Polaris (saving hundreds at the pool store), repaired my booster pump for the Polaris and many other things I never thought I would be able to do. YouTube helps with the details but a lot of it is just paying attention and putting some time in.

Bonus tip: When shocking, take out the Polaris and the hose as the Shock will eat away at them and shorten their lives as well. After a couple hours of circulation you can put them back in.

Enjoy!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:59 am 

crappiejerk wrote:
My best advice , being that i used to install in the ground pools is, hire a pool company to maintain it for u. You will be glad u did after a while i will pick up on things . Is it saltwater

what he said

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:41 pm 

pool is not saltwater...it is chlorinated.
I did hire a pool company, but I am very dissatisfied with the service. If they actually did what they say they do, everything would be fine. However, If I had a camera...I wouldn't pay them for what they say they do as I would have proof that they don't do it.

It is simply so frustrating that I have to babysit those I'm paying to do a job.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:26 pm 

Fire there ass and hire a new company

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:53 pm 

any recommendation on test kits for a newbie???

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:32 am 

Might try Kingwood.com and see if there is a pool forum???
Or, about 12 yards of dirt and fill it in???
My son just bought a house with a pool; Surprise!!!!
Good luck..