Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:54 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: A question about boating
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:12 pm 

I've been looking to get a boat for a while but have been on and off about it many times. I was wondering should I get a boat. (i've done lots of research and took a boating class and passed it as well) However, Everywhere I look, most people say if i can't take the boat out at least twice a week, i'm better off buying a jon boat (easier to maintain and cheaper) or go by charter. I'm about an hour away from lake houston and sommerville. (richmond area). I wanted to get a second opinion, should I get a boat if I can't take it out more than at least twice a week? Finally, should I buy new or used. (i've been looking at a carolina skiff for a while to do a little bay fishing and of course taking it out to the lakes but a new one costs an arm and a leg!

Thanks Trung.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:42 pm 

First boat that you dont know if you are going to use or not, go used and small. Not too small where you dont go because the boat is too small. Used boats dont lose value from the time you buy it to when you sell it to upgrade.

Just make sure the boat and motor have a title and the trailer is registered. This is non negotiable.
Motors below a certain size dont need a title but all powerd boats need one.

Next is to find a mechanic to check out the motor for you.

Always take a test ride in the boat befor buying whenever you can. This is common.

Nice thing about aluminum boats is the transom is easy to replace if rotten and is easy to see. In a fiberglass boat, a rotton transom can cost you a couple grand.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:22 am 

You know what boat stands for right, "Break Out Another Thousand." I don't know about twice a week, most people don't have the time for that. You do need to take it out at least once a month, to keep everything working properly. As was said by CousinDan, go used. Jon boats or aluminum will hold their value, just check for cracks, broken welds, and popped rivets. Some time these are easy fixes, but other could mean structural damage. You can also find fairly cheap fiberglass boats. Just make sure you check for rot, if the boat has wood. Usually screws going into the deck, beams in the aft, and the transom will show signs or rot first. As was said get the motor checked out and test drive it. Guys will hook it up to a water hose and it will run fine, but you have to see it in the water. To truly test a motor, it must be under torc and have back pressure on the exhaust. No matter what someone tells you, after purchase, change the water pump impeller and lower unit fluid. People tend to lie about when was the last time they had that done.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:40 pm 

I like that crawdaddct, break out another thousand
If you can go out At least once a month it would be worth it to own a boat.
I have had to fish off of the bank for years and could not wait to purchase a boat, If you
enjoy being on the water then its worth it.
Let us know when you get one.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:02 pm 

I am looking for a boat but more of a utility boat. Most likely i'll probably be by myself. I was looking for something like this. http://www.alumacraft.com/Alumacraft-Boat.php?id=60
It's a 16 ft Utility boat and I will definitely take it out once a month for sure. There is a dealer near my area whom I trust a lot and will most likely purchase a boat from them. Would a utility boat be viable in my situation?

I will probably take it out to salt once in a blue moon as well.

Thanks for the help! I really do appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:40 pm 

Really depends on what kind fishing you like to do. For bass fishing and maybe crappie having a troll motor mounted on the front is advantageous. It will move you from spot to spot and keep you on the spot when the wind is blowing. Those aluminum boats are nice but they sit high in the water vs what is under water much so they are easily blown around in the wind. A easy to access and use troll motor setup will be more than handy.

A v bottom will take heavier waves than a flat bottom boat but a flat boat will usually be wider and more stable to move around in. The also have a mount in front for the troll motor.

Flat boats are bad for rough water though. Pounds the crap out of you.

Both boats are easy to get on and off the trailer by your self but so are most boats once you get used to it.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:24 pm 

I like the modified vee bottom myself shown on the alumacraft link shown, looks and performs
more like a bass boat; option for trolling motor; driver seat console; front casting area.
You can stand up easier in more places without tipping. They have good deals on the
tracker (bass pro shops) boats, and good financing options.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:47 pm 

Buy the 19' pontoon that is listed under boats; looks like a nice one for 8 grand... Works for most lakes.