Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:53 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: carp bait recipes
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:43 am 
Site Admin

Peanut Butter Ball

1/2 cup of grits
1 cup of peanut butter
1/4 cup of flour
2 slices of white bread

Simply mash it altogether and form a tight ball around your hook. This works wonders for me.

Breakfast Cereal

1 cup of Wheaties – or really any other cereal will work just as well
1 cup of flour
stir in a little honey and a 1/4 cup sugar
mix in a little hot water until you get the desired consistancy

Koolaid Mixture

1 cup of corn puffs
1 cup of flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 package of koolaid – any color works but I like red the best

Mix the ingredients and slowly add in hot water. Once you get a thick dough like texture stop adding water and work the paste. Remember you want it to be firm.

There are hundreds of different carp recipes out there but these ones tend to work the best for me. Some experiences anglers will add salt to the mixture as well as this is supposed to help attract carp. You can very the ingredients, some will work better than others depending on your location. I usually avoid any meat containing mixtures as I don’t think that they are necessary. Other ingredients you can mix in to the above recipes are: oats, nuts, bird seeds, bagels, cheese, cottage cheese, corn, and corn meal. Experiment a little and see what works best.

If you have your own recipe you want to share feel free to do so

Post subject: Re: carp bait recipes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:39 am 

What always worked for me as a kid fishing the Arkansas River in Wichita, Ks was Wheaties, A teaspoon of vanilla, and hot water. Add some strawberry jello powder if you want to. I use the same recipe now, but make it in a food processor to chop it up and make the dough ball. It doesn't take much water.

Attachment:
IMG_1320small.jpg
IMG_1320small.jpg [ 77.31 KiB | Viewed 856 times ]

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

Nice fish Dutch you both have the same smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:58 pm 

Thanks sticko and Dutch! That's an awful nice fish. I've never used anything other than canned sweet corn. I'd buy a few cans at the supermarket and bait the area for a few days before going back with my rod. Then a few kernels on a small hook would do the job.

Just gotta get them accustomed to the bait you're using. Hard to hook a cautious carp.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:14 pm 

I think I may have found a new carp hole only a couple of miles from my house in Clear Lake. It is a large drainage canal for the housing areas that appears to be deep enough, and it always has water in it. Gonna try it tomorrow. Made up a new recipe today. Carp like corn, as Gettin' Jiggy said. Corn has a lot of water in it besides oil and sugar. So I blended up some Wheaties into flour, added some flour and then put a half can of drained corn in the processor and turned it on (no water). Had to add more flour to get it stiff. I am going to try both this and some strawberry jello/wheaties/flour tomorrow if the bank of this place isn't too muddy after today's rain. Will post results.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:50 pm 

Little late, but here are the results. I went out with my carp bait and only got one bite, and it was a cnannel cat. Never caught a cat on corn carp bait before. It was a nice 2 pounder. I thought.... Hm-m-m-m... Maybe this is a catfish hole. The water was a little brackish (connects to Clear lake salt water. Went home and brought some catfish bait (CJs punch bait). Ended up with 4 real nice channels to 20 inches. I'll try again tomorrow.

Attachment:
0412171619 (2).jpg
0412171619 (2).jpg [ 51.34 KiB | Viewed 828 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:32 am 
Site Admin

you's a cat man for sure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:57 pm 

Thanks for the report Dutch!! Yup, that'll do it, brackish water will run those carp off any day of the week.