Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:18 pm 

Hi folks !

im rather new here in Houston, i am from Germany where fishing is basically forbidden unless you do months of training and put a lot of money into obtaining a license. So very different than here.

So i really LOVE the USA and Texas in particular after visiting this best country in the world around 10 times during my youth, touring with a mobile home through 42 states and learned to enjoy the beauty of this country and its people.

Anyways, so i started fishing here again, started with salt water at Surfside Beach, then Texas Dyke, sometimes Sylvan Beach, but i l really enjoy small lake / pond fishing. Since i live around Jersey Village, i started off at Bane Park (works OK, not many bites / day), then Theiss Park in Tomball (Blue Gill guarantee! got 6 in 30 minutes today), Sheldon Park Lake (off Garrett road i had a 3.8 Bowfin (also today).

Now I am ready to explore more beauties and since my buddys are not really into angling, i am here to make angler buddies !

I usually go on the weekends, but have time on the evenings too.

Looking forward to hear from yall !

All the best
Jan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:18 pm 

my bowfin today

Attachments:
Bowfin.jpg
Bowfin.jpg [ 34.83 KiB | Viewed 909 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:19 pm 

bluegil, right ?

Attachments:
bluegil.jpg
bluegil.jpg [ 115.8 KiB | Viewed 909 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:47 pm 

Yup, also called bream or brim, or perch. Great eating.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

the bowfin is a prehistoric fish.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:30 pm 

you eat them little bluegils ? the one on the pic is rather small, got some bigger already, but still, cant see how they are worth eating.
what worked well though is cutting one in pieces around thumb size, then use as bait. had some good hits using it, but then the turtles came and they are very good getting it off the hook :)

yes i educated myself on the bowfin. pretty cool fish, been around for some time on this planet. for a fish like this it didn't really put on a fight thought.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:38 pm 

Jan, did you keep that bowfin? They are a voracious predator. Will eat just about anything that moves. As a kid in Minnesota, we used to pitchfork them and throw them to the turtles in the swamp. Then the DNR stocked musky in the lakes and the bowfin disappeared.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:49 pm 

first i did. then googled. worry about the mercury issue. as it can breathe air, it was well alive after 4-6 minutes in the cooler, it swam away quickly just fine.

now, mercury. all fish, especially the big hunters, build up mercury no ? i can see that here in Houston with all the refineries that can be an issue. is it something to be concerned about ? i hope not for fish i catch NWEST in the little lakes. that should be far away from any refinery contamination, i hope !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:28 pm 

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Yep, Mercury will accumulate over time in the fish, and the apex predators will have more of it than others. But the fish a majority of people eat around here (catfish, white bass, crappie) grow rapidly and a good eating sized fish...a 10" crappie, or a 3lb catfish...may only be two or three years old and has not built up a bunch of mercury yet.

If it does concern you, limiting the amount of fish you eat (say, eating a meal once a week instead if 3 times a week) will usually keep you well within safe consumption levels anyway. I've eaten fish about once a week since we moved down here (mostly white bass) and and haven't had a problem in 9 years yet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:40 pm 

thank you, i appreciate sharing your knowledge.
do they test mercury levels on the usual annual bloodtest ? if not, mercury poisoning will take time to develop, but when it hits, it cant get reversed as far as i know.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:03 pm 

Wooo, now we're getting to the end of my knowledge...

Don't think my GP specifically checks for heavy metals in my blood, but I imagine there'd be symptoms show up that she could recognize. I get a clean report card twice a year, so I haven't had a reason to ask any more questions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:54 pm 

well, if you have any of those, get a test :)

muscle weakness, poor coordination, numbness in the hands and feet, skin rashes, memory problems, trouble speaking, trouble hearing, or trouble seeing.

i have at least one of those each weekend night / the day after:)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

are you one of the men that drink once in a while

Once in the morning and awhile in the afternoon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:08 pm 

haha i like that saying. i add it to my English vocabulary !
but sure i drink beer, i am german. how could i resist ? i also love texas for its KOLACHES ! i mean sausages...no German can resist that :)

however i usually dont drink anything when fishing as it involves driving and i dont drink anything when driving. 0.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for your good humor i was just messing with you . No sir you should not

drink and drive you might spill some.