Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:48 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Sloppy seconds
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:51 am 

So I went and fished cold pass this past Sat. Fishing was slow we caught 1 keeper flounder and 1 40" redfish TWICE!!!! :shock: :shock: I caught this fish and decided not to tag this red since it looked as if a shark had gotten after it. It had swallowed my hook so I had to cut the leader leaving the hook in the fish to rust out. About 15 min later my buddies pole doubles over and he is hooked up to a good fish. After a quick fight he lands the same beat up redfish. He wanted SO badly for this redfish to not be the same fish, that he opened the fishes mouth and checked for my hook. He was pretty upset when he realized it in fact was the same fish I had just caught. So I asked him what's the big deal? His response was classic "Now I can't take a picture with the fish I just caught because no one is going to believe that I caught the same fish, they are just going to think I was holding up your fish" "talk about true sloppy seconds". We both caught this redfish on a 1in pin perch the only 2 we had managed to catch in the cast net, she was on the hunt for 1in pin perch :shock: :?

Attachments:
6.14.14 Red fish.jpeg
6.14.14 Red fish.jpeg [ 344.54 KiB | Viewed 3033 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sloppy seconds
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:59 am 

That is a classic red from that area. Great fish story. Thanks for sharing.
I used to wade Cold Pass every weekend many years ago. Did you fish the shell pad in front of the beach house? We used to limit on specks and be back home before noon. Sometimes the jackfish would come through and steal 100 yards of line off of all of our reels. Took the wife down there once and we both hooked big reds at the same time. Hers broke off and was probably bigger than the one I caught. We took mine back to the hotel and ate it. Best fish we ever had. Would love to wade fish that area again but have too many friends that have their vehicles broken into when parking off the highway. That area is also good for flounder gigging.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:16 am 

No I wasn't fishing the shell pad but I probably should have been lol. I haven't heard of a shell pad down there but I have only fished it a few times. I fished near the big pier that runs out into cold pass. I felt safe leaving my vehicle and wading, there was at least 6 cars parked at a kayak loading site so parked along side them and started wading. I even left my 3 surf rods in my truck that could have tempted someone to bust out my window. I will not let the scumbags dictate where and when I deciede to go fishing. Just please for the sake of all parties involved DON'T LET ME CATCH ANYONE DOING IT :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:58 am 

Nice trip & catchn the same fish twice is something special. I often wonder whole catchn throw back crappie if it's one I've caught already.
I've spent countless hours & have caught several meals of trout, Redfish & flounder from that area, I'd always put in christmas bay & fish from there all the way to the pass & back.

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:01 am 

The beach house closest to the KOA has a shell pad out in front of it. Used to be a pier many years ago. All the specks, reds, flounder and sheepshead you can catch. Have to park off the highway and wade into the area.....walking towards Freeport. About a 1/4 mile walk thru the soft muck but worth it when you get there. Don't park there if a real high tide is forecast...wheels will be underwater.