Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:23 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Smoky Mtn Nat Park
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:39 pm 

I told sticko I would post about my trip to the Smokies, so here goes. (Sticko you can move this to wherever) We got to Townsend TN. today just in time for 2 days of rain and maybe snow. I went to the Little River Outfitters fly shop to buy a couple of $3 flies so I could bribe them for info. I left the shop with a Tenkara graphite rod, basically a pole with no reel, and $30 of Japanese flies. Tie the line on the end and use it like a cane pole. I told them I took their all day fly fishing school a couple years ago and still can't cast. They told me if I can't use a Tenkara maybe take up dominoes. I didn't get much of a hot tip either.
So if the weather clears a little tomorrow, I'll give it a try. Wool sweater, FrogTogs, waders, and rain hat.
Otherwise the redbuds are blooming and the dogwoods are about to, or either just have.
More later....

Post subject: Re: Smoky Mtn Nat Park
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

very interesting i have never done any trout or fly fishing . as you i tried the learn fly casting
as a kid and never could get it down about took my ear off each time the fly went by.
I do have the habit of going into a tackle shop not intending to buy anything just to get
a little local information on what the fish are doing and coming out spending about a
couple hundred on stuff i may never use . The Tenkara is interesting to watch
hope you catch lots of fish . When you get back home you can catch lots of big bream on
the top water flies . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NItUPXb_WY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

thanks upacreek you got my interest up and think that would be a good thing to play
around with on some of the small ponds around here But i could not spend the money
for those rods so saw this and like this mans attitude and something i could do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw1MqfoKf7w

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:06 am 

Sticko my Dad fly fished a good bit. Used a tube float that you sit in and propelled yourself around with scuba diver type fins strapped on your feet. I haven't seen one of those around here in years. He mostly fished Sheldon and Luces with it. Better man than me...I'm not getting in the water with gators and snakes.
I tried fly fishing back in the 1980's. I bought a rod and reel, cheap waders and a pair of high top tennis shoes. Loaded up the cabover truck camper with the wife and baby daughter and headed to Yellowstone. Dad had given me one lesson and I thought I was ready. I parked next to the Yellowstone River in between the Volvo station wagons, suited up and waded in. I was casting about 25 feet and the guy next to me was casting what looked to be 125 feet. I had a 7 foot leader and he had a 17 foot leader. I asked him how he did that, "lots of practice". Pretty soon I noticed my legs felt about frozen. Everybody but me was wearing those new neoprene waders. I left and went to the Firehole River. Caught a few Cutthroats and a moose scared me out of the river.
I decided to try fly fishing again a couple years ago. I have 3 outfits, better waders, and boots. I've fished the Smokies and Mountain Fork River in Beavers Bend State Park Oklahoma. I hope to fish some in Arkansas this fall.
The Tenkara looks to be a lot simpler. Maybe no wind knots, getting hung up in trees, etc. I was thinking the same thing as you about bream and bass.
Well the sun ain't up yet and it's pouring rain. Temps are supposed to drop all day down to 28 degrees tonight. This may be a drive around sight seeing day. We'll see.....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

Air temps are dropping here all day is 51 now with a low of 44 predicted.
brings back memories of my starting days Bass fishing . Had one of those
truck inter tubes with a canvas seat in it with holes for your legs to stick through and
as you said put on the web feet to move along and to turn. back in the late
sixties . Had a couple of hand tied buck tail spinner baits i would cast in a little
creek off of the Colorado river. caught some nice bass doing that. I saw a man and his
daughter wading and fly casting at lake buck horn it has some gators in them also.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:59 pm 

Buckhorn Lake off Hwy 90 and Sheldon Road? We fished it a little when it was open to the public. I think my Dad knew the owners. They were Sonniers I think. From the old country like Dad, Louisiana. LOL.
Not much happening today. I passed on fishing. Went back to the fly shop and got a spare Tenkara line. Overcast, rain, and drizzle. In the 40's most of the day. Drove through the park, saw no bears, but plenty of turkey. Disconnected the water hose to the Rv. Supposed to get 28 tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

might have been your dad i saw out there that day . at Buck horn lake off Garrett RD.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:57 pm 

Snowed last night. Water temp of Little River this morning was 45F, a 10+ degree drop in 24 hours. Water flows jumped 100 CFS over what is considered "high but safe". I went fishing anyway. Went above Elkmont Campground to an area I fished last year. The Tenkara was 'not as easy as falling off a log, but certainly less frustrating than a regular fly outfit. "I've got an 11ft pole and 12ft of line that's all". So I can't get frustrated at not being able to cast 80 feet. I will admit it was hard for a old man to stand knee deep in fast water on slick rocks. Bottom line: I lost a very nice rainbow right at my feet. Wore out from the water and cold, I left for the RV. I was the only fisherman on the river.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

I am sure it was lots of fun to have the fight on the end of the line.
i would think it would be very hard to try to land a nice fish in that
swift water on that long of a pole.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:44 am 

Where's tha pics?

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

Check Out Some Good Crappie Vids Here....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:40 am 

Lets see if this works...

Attachments:
thumbnail_IMG_0881.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0881.jpg [ 163.39 KiB | Viewed 489 times ]
IMG_0883.jpg
IMG_0883.jpg [ 173.33 KiB | Viewed 489 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:53 pm 

Those are wall worthy right there....Thanks for sharing...Crystal clear waters....NICE

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

Check Out Some Good Crappie Vids Here....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:08 pm 

Yeah, so clear you can't tell how deep it is. I fished a spot called Metcalf Bottoms today. I was the only dummy on the river. Used the Tenkara again. No bites. Saw no rises and no insects. I assume the water is too cold and too high. Stopped by the fly shop and discussed leader & line length. I think I will shorten both a foot or so.
Me and the wife are discussing coming later next spring. Weather has been terrible. Overcast, rain, drizzle, and snow. Kinda kicking around coming up by myself before next spring. I can make it up here with one overnight stop in the cabover camper. Wife can't sit that long at a time.
Ok guys, on to the next stop....NASCAR race at Bristol TN., then on to Richmond VA. the next weekend for their race.
Later....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

wow if i knew you were that big i would have talked nicer to you. It is pretty there on that
mountain stream. But the stream looks beautiful and very rugged . I am not sure i would
want to be wading in that swift water and those slick moss covered rocks with out some
help with in shouting distance . One slip could be bad news .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:36 pm 

Big? Me? Naa. I'm a skinny old man with a beer belly!
I'm thinking I need a "wading staff". Fancy for a stick. I about busted my butt several times. I wear wading boots with steel studs in the soles. They make boots with felt soles that grip better, but they are illegal in a lot of states. The felt holds little bits of vegetation that you can spread from one body of water to another. Most of the concern is over Didymo, also known as "rock snot". It's an algae that infests water and covers the rocks.