Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:47 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Bass Champs Sam Rayburn
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:31 am 

Well, I fished the Bass Champs first round this weekend on Sam Rayburn. I was boat 288 out 420. I hope the picture posts as you will see all of the boats waiting for take off.

Attachments:
20170114_072014.jpg
20170114_072014.jpg [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 637 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

nice turn out how did you do in round one was it a three day tourney

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:35 pm 

I could write a book about everything that I saw Saturday and no one would believe it. We had 5 fish but didn't feel that we would be in the money so elected to release at the dock and that put us in the 1500 dollar conservation prize drawing. They calculated us to be in somewhere around 57th place and it only paid 30 places. Didn't have a kicker for big bass or we would have weighed in. I will probably retire from the big opens like this at the end of the year as it is getting too big to enjoy now and there are some crazy people out there in some big and too fast boats. I saw one guy run aground and he was a good 15 feet out of the water when he got stopped, don't know what that guy was thinking or maybe he wasn't thinking. Guess by the time he saw where he was, he couldn't back off fast enough.
They have 4 one day tournaments to qualify for the 2 day championship on an unannounced lake in October. We will qualify I am sure but I am also not sure if I want to continue this.
As for the conditions, they were great. No wind, no rain but so many boats running back and forth had the lake choppy all day. It was difficult to stay out on the main lake drop offs and points in the deeper water. It was a battle holding the boat in place. We caught our first fish on a main lake point in about 25 foot of water on the 3rd cast. Then the boats wakes beat us off of there real quick and we started fishing deep creek channels.
All in all it was an experience that's for sure.