Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 1:06 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Sommerville 12-1-16
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:32 am 

On December 1, I went fishing on Sommerville with Weldon the fishing guide and Ray. Ray and I like to fish with Weldon 3 or 4 times a year as he does a great job of putting us on good fish. At the end of the trip, he cleans all the fish.
It was a cold morning, and I had on my heaviest jacket. We went to one spot near a rocky bank and drop off. We fished with bobbers, but ended up doing away with those as fishing on the bottom with tight lines worked better. We ended up catching 50 very nice size cats in about 16 feet of water. On the way back, Weldon showed us how high the water got during the last flood recently. The water level was 23 feet higher than it is now. Water reached as high as some transformers on telephone poles. Also, on the way back, Weldon showed us some good spots for crappie where people catch a lot starting in February. The picture below is 1 1/2 coolers of fish. Each cooler is the 120 quart size.

Attachments:
sommerville 12-1-16 (225x400).jpg
sommerville 12-1-16 (225x400).jpg [ 78.03 KiB | Viewed 3074 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sommerville 12-1-16
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:55 pm 

Sound like a great catchn trip & informational too.....good crappie SPOTS are hard to come by.....

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:55 pm 

Well done Steve...no pun intended. That's a real nice mess of fish. I know yall always have fun up at Somerville. Look forward to seeing you and Ray out on the lake soon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

you all did good . I was thinking Weldon fished Fayette.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:57 am 

Sticko, Weldon fishes Fayette, Sommerville and Gibbons Creek when he does his guiding. During the floods, he couldn't fish Sommerville for a while as all the boat ramps and parks were completely under water.
SK, Weldon showed us a spot where some people hammered a bunch of poles down in the lake, then threw a bunch of tires on top of them. I probably saw 20 or so of these poles sticking up out of the water all near each other. This is where he said lots of people go to fish for crappie. It is easy to find, but I'll probably never go with my own boat as it is a long trip to fish it and come back the same day.
WM, we'll see you out on the water again real soon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:36 am 
Site Admin

we used to just hammer the crappie and white bass below the dam on summerville

in the winter months. when they are letting water through the dam. It was nothing to

catch 25 crappie in a couple hours and didn't need a boat. Now they have built steps

going down there . back then it was a steep ridge to climb. Have not been there in years

but bet the fishing is still hot behind the dam. Just get out of the current in the backwash

and eddies . crank super slow for crappie medium speed for whites. every now and then you

will hook into a big drum and the fight will be on for an hour less he breaks off.