Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:41 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Re: Upper Trinity bay
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:26 pm 

We went out last Friday and whacked on them pretty good at the spillway. Caught 2 limits of reds (released another limit), 14 specks 18-24", 2 flatties, and a bunch of sheephead which we only kept 3 to boil for poor mans lobster. We also got a bonus white bass and blue cat. I run a 18' Alumacraft bay boat, and ran out of goohole just fine. However getting back in after tide dropped a foot was a challenge. Awful shallow where the river hits the bay. We caught most of ours on live shrimp and seen some folks throwing plastic (rootbeer with lime green tail) doing well on trout.

Sorry I never grabbed them gps points off my depth finder got tied up into all the catching we was doing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:47 pm 

Liqued wrote:
We went out last Friday and whacked on them pretty good at the spillway. Caught 2 limits of reds (released another limit), 14 specks 18-24", 2 flatties, and a bunch of sheephead which we only kept 3 to boil for poor mans lobster. We also got a bonus white bass and blue cat. I run a 18' Alumacraft bay boat, and ran out of goohole just fine. However getting back in after tide dropped a foot was a challenge. Awful shallow where the river hits the bay. We caught most of ours on live shrimp and seen some folks throwing plastic (rootbeer with lime green tail) doing well on trout.

Sorry I never grabbed them gps points off my depth finder got tied up into all the catching we was doing.

nice im thinking on heading out thursday morning -- gotta scrap up some extra cash to do it but will do it somehow -- lol -- had to buy new battery and couple other things wasnt planning on having to get this month, making things tight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:09 pm 

Ehhh...I'm going to make the 2 hour drive to the Louisiana side of Sabine Lake Friday, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:50 pm 

PBR wrote:
Liqued wrote:

nice im thinking on heading out thursday morning -- gotta scrap up some extra cash to do it but will do it somehow -- lol -- had to buy new battery and couple other things wasnt planning on having to get this month, making things tight

Work won’t let me get away tomorrow but we will be there Friday morning.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:52 pm 

Liqued wrote:

Work won’t let me get away tomorrow but we will be there Friday morning.

well didn't slay them but didn't do bad either -- we limited out on reds and got a 1 man limit of specks -- the overcast killed it most of the day i think -- once the sun finally busted through it was on and the reds were killing it ---- right up by the wall, as your pulling in towards left side you will notice some boards missing and can see through to other side -- right there was killing the reds big time (live shrimp / shad / mullet) whatever you threw was producing -- just dropping of the side of the boat

on side note guess the old battery was just not good anymore -- was odd it would read 12 volts and work live well, lights everything but just wouldn't start the motor -- guess under a heavy load it would crap out

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

takes a lot of cranking amps to start an outboard. will drain a battery need to get 1000 cranking amps
or as close as you can when you buy another one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:13 pm 

PBR wrote:
Liqued wrote:
Whats the closest bait shop to goohole? we always launch thompsons but looking at the map goohole is half the run.

not sure around goohole but we have put in at fort anahuac park and there is a bait shop down the road from there between i10 and the park (think is 563) -- also unless things have changed its pretty shallow through there and any kind of real size bay boat might be tough -- again its been a long time for me there but flatbottom or smaller boat was okay

The river channel is treacherous going into the bay from Ft. Anahuac. Try launching at the single ramp on the east side of the parking lot on the "lagoon" side. Get on out into the bay before you turn west.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:34 pm 

friend went to spillway today and loaded up on white bass / stripper

another pic of some folks at thompsons that loaded up on them from spillway also