Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:53 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Lake Naconiche
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:52 am 

Took the yaks up to lake Naconiche this weekend. The lake is about 15 minutes north of Nacogdoches in the piney woods.
The good...lake is set up to be a trophy bass lake. Lake stocks Florida bass and share a lunker offspring. Open in 2012 and has produced 2 fish over 13 and one over 14. Lake has grass and full of standing timber and laydowns galore with nice tea clear water. There are three or four easily findable roadbeds.

The bad...we didnt catch many fish. Wind howling down both arms limited our yak access to sheltered stretches of bank. Not really a problem because everything is fishy structure wise, fish just werent cooperating. Confirmed by just about every bass boater I spoke with.
At this time there is only one boat ramp centrally located between the two arms.

If you want to rent a cabin...Mclains cabins and Lake Naconiche retreat are both on the water.

This is a beautiful bass/crappie lake worth the drive up for the day or an overnight weekend.

Post subject: Re: Lake Naconiche
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 am 

My deer lease is 20 minutes from there , im hitting murvaul in june may have to slide over there for an afternoon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:30 am 

I've heard of some GOOD catches of crappie outta that lake.....

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:00 pm 

Hey morhino, a day on the water is better than a day at the office, sometimes you just gotta work for them!

That lake sounds a lot like Purtis Creek State Park...The park has a 400 acre lake completely controlled by TPWD and managed as a trophy bass lake (which of course makes it a good crappie lake too!) There's a ton of flooded timber in the shallows and TPWD has even sunk and marked brush piles in the south end by the dam for fish habitat. The whole lake is idle speed only and TPWD only allows 50 motorized boats on it at one time, so it's a pretty safe place to get the kayaks out. We've been camping there before and will return again.

Best part for my wife is that it's 15 miles from Canton, so if we plan the trip right, she can run into town and do First Monday while I spend all day on the water.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:30 am 

Oh we worked very hard for them no doubt. Saturday after lunch ran over to Lake Timpson and worked that small lake. I was trying to fish bedding bass but the wind just would not give in. Lost two big ones off beds but the wife managed a 3.5...best fish of the weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:00 am 

I am from Nacogdoches originally....my parents live there now. I spent about 6 weekends on Naconiche last year in my kayak. I caught a bass that went about 4-5 lbs on my 3rd cast on shoreline directly across from boat ramp. I got skunked a couple of times, but usually caught 3 or 4 each trip.
One trip I went down past the bridge about 100yds and started working the creek channel with a Lake Fork Baby Ring Worm, Carolina rigged (chartreuse with pepper) and caught several. I would drift a ways, then go back to same tree and start again. Lost count, but that was a fun day.

I did talk to the park manager on my way out one day. He told me if you head towards the damn, there is a mound (need a depth finder to find it). It was a temporary dam while they were working on the lake. After they built the permanent dam, that one was flooded over. He told me that is a good spot to try for crappie. I did not have a depth finder on my yak last year, but I do now. Going to try my luck up there in a couple of weeks.

That lake looks like there is a big bass behind every stump. Very "fishy"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

I like Murvaul for the big bass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:11 pm 

Ill be on murvaul 1st weekend in june

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:32 am 

I used to work an asset outside of Carthage for one of my old companies...always liked the look of Murvaul. Good luck out there cj.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

take a tiny torpedo past the bridge and just hang on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:39 pm 

Off shore in that lake will produce the bigger fish as they are not hammered as hard as the shoreline fish. The shoreline areas there look as if there is a fish on every tree so it gets hit pretty hard. Get off the shore on the old roadbeds and points and you will do well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:08 pm 

I think Major League Fishing fished there...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:41 am 

WHAT DO YOU ALL KNOW ABOUT MURVUAL LAKE, A BUDDY OF MINE WAS BORNED AND RAISED THERE ON THE WATER BEEN FISHING THAT LAKE FOR TWENTY YEARS OR MORE, HE STILL LIVES THER ON THE BACK END OF IT WILL BE GOING BACK IN THE FALL. THERE IS ALSO LAKE PINKSTON THAT IS ABOUT THIRTY MINUTES FROM THERE THAT HAS EXCILANT BASS IN IT VERRY PRETTY OUT THERE. MURVUAL HAS SOME VERY NICE CRAPPIE IN IT AS WELL,JUST GO UNDER THE BRIDGE IN NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER AND YOU CAN SIT THERE ALL DAY AND CATCH THEM, BETTER BE THERE EARLY. LOVE THE COUNTRY OUT THERE. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:02 am 

okden wrote:
I think Major League Fishing fished there...

Yep, Timmy Horton caught 88+ pounds on the last day of elimination round 2. 109# for two days combined. The others caught em big too!

Need to try that lake during spawn if you can get on it after people see what they did!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:59 am 

Timmy went from worst to first in that segment too..
Broke Erod's record of 80# in one day...