Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:55 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Targeting active fish
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:40 am 

While fishing the last few times I’ve gone out, as I moved around I noticed for long times I would only get one fish here
or there, then all of a sudden I’d have double and triple hookups and I couldn’t keep up with the fish. After a few
minutes this would end and I’d go back to waiting long periods for bites. Why was this happening?

When the crappie are staging and schooled up dense like they have been for the last 2 weeks, an easy way to increase
your catches is to target active fish over stationary fish. Crappie will stay schooled up at their holding depth with the
shad above them and as the shad move, active fish will come up to feed and return to the school. They are easy to spot
on sonar once you know what to look for.

In the first image, there is a large school of crappie holding near the bottom of the water column. These fish aren’t moving
much and their sonar returns just look like flat bars going across the screen. These fish are inactive, they are conserving
energy. They will still eat, but only if you put a bait right on their nose and hold it here, “deadsticking”.

Attachment:
inactive.jpg
inactive.jpg [ 32.61 KiB | Viewed 80 times ]

In the second image, you can see several sonar returns that come up and then return to the school. These are fish that
are actively feeding. They are coming up and grabbing shad. These fish will be much more aggressive and come after your bait.

Attachment:
active.jpg
active.jpg [ 33.67 KiB | Viewed 80 times ]

As I noticed this, I started moving a little more often, spending more time over these active fish than others, and I was
able to catch fish at a rate of 2 or 3 to 1 versus the people around me, simply because I was looking for and
targeting the active fish in the school.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:23 am 
Site Admin

I think you answered your own question . when the water gets super cold it drives
the shad deep to try to keep warm and bunches the shad up in these deep holes .
once the water warms a little on the warmer days the shad will leave and the fish
with them. The crappie here has gorged themselves so much on the shad they
are not really in the feeding mode. But you give them a slow easy target they
just can't resist even though they are full they will take it. Then a school of crappie will come along
that are hungry and feeding. in the main channels you will tend to see more active
fish feeding right along the drop or moving up on the ridge to feed on top.
so if you spider with with a couple jigs on top of the channel edge and a couple on the drop
your catch ratio will increase . Ledges and hill tops are good also.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:45 am 

Quality Info right there! thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks hawgtied It is a proven tactic i have used time and again to put crappie
in the boat.