Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:17 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:29 pm 

I'd like to start a thread with screen shots taken from sidescan/downscan images on electronics to share with everyone. Maybe if this thread gets enough activity it can be pinned so it stays up towards the top (hint, hint)?

I'll start it out with a couple of screen shots from my Lowrance units of submerged trees loaded with crappie. Needless to say, we pulled limits out of these trees!

2007 Skeeter ZX-20 Bay, White/Blue Stripe
Yamaha 150 VMax
HDS-8, 7, 5 with Structure Scan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:20 pm 

I agree with the concept, though I'd appreciate a general location. I have a Lowrance Elite-5 DSI on the bow (only been wet twice thanks to the drought), and I'd like to take it someplace with known structure so I can set the sensitivity.

I'm also planning to purchase a Lowrance HDS-5 Gen2 with the LSS-1 when the Gen2 comes out in January, so I'm more than willing to post screenshots once that is installed on the console in place of my current LMS-520c

2007 Ranger 180VS (Gray/Black)
Yamaha 150 Vmax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:06 pm 

When did you get the screen shots? I see the water temp is about 70. I wouldn't mind posting screen shots from my Humminbird 898cSI, but they won't show the exact GPS coordinates. I have been shown too many good spots by others and I won't give their spots away.

Wight... just go up the bayou and you will find lots of brush and stumps. When you find some, then adjust your sensitivity. I'm going out Wednesday around noon for the express purpose of getting hi definition screen shots and waypoints of cover in 10 to 12 feet of water, for the spring spawn. I'll log deeper ones too for use now.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:38 pm 

Dutch wrote:
Wight... just go up the bayou and you will find lots of brush and stumps. When you find some, then adjust your sensitivity. .

there is so much stuff out there it's really not funny, if you troll luces, the river or most areas of the lake you can't help but see structure. that lake if covered with stumps & lay downs everwhere.

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:23 am 

Dutch wrote:
When did you get the screen shots? I see the water temp is about 70. I wouldn't mind posting screen shots from my Humminbird 898cSI, but they won't show the exact GPS coordinates. I have been shown too many good spots by others and I won't give their spots away.

Dutch- those two shots were last March during the spawn. The fish were on that deeper structure staging to move in and out of beds that were close by. I caught two fish shallower than 10' of water during the spawn last year because I found deeper staging areas and like I've said before, I prefer jiggin deep brush over any other type of crappie fishing, shallow spawning fish included!

Yamaha 150 VMax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:26 am 

Also, I have the gps coordinates inactivated on my units so they don't show up on screenshots.

Yamaha 150 VMax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:00 am 

Here are a couple of shots of white bass stacked up on Lake Livingston this past 4th of July weekend.

The first shot they are on a flat right along a drop-off.

This shot they were on another flat but very close to another drop-off.

Yamaha 150 VMax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:11 pm 

nice looking shots LP! Dutch that stump looks like the one i caught all those crappie on a couple months ago! it almost looks too easy with SS & SI systems on your boat :shock: :lol: !

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

Thats for sure when i started fishing we had a

rock tied on a string for a depth finder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:26 pm 

You guys might not of noticed, I said "general location" NOT specific location. I also never said anything about giving screenshots with fish... Paranoid much? :?

I have some stumps marked on my portable GPS from the drought, I will be heading back to those locations now that the water is up, should be easy to set the sensitivity.

Can't wait for the Gen2 to come out though, those side-scan picks are excellent.

Still a long time till I can fish to work...

2007 Ranger 180VS (Gray/Black)

Yamaha 150 Vmax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:31 pm 

wight4031 wrote:
You guys might not of noticed, I said "general location" NOT specific location. I also never said anything about giving screenshots with fish... Paranoid much? :?

I have some stumps marked on my portable GPS from the drought, I will be heading back to those locations now that the water is up, should be easy to set the sensitivity.

Can't wait for the Gen2 to come out though, those side-scan picks are excellent.

we were just picking at you 4031, you know how we do it!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:51 pm 

I hear you Sticko, but that was 90 years ago!!!

I won't have a problem giving general locations of where I caught fish.... such as "in the water"..... "in the mouth".....

Joking! Giving general locations such as a quarter mile up from Ponderosa, or near the big house on the hill in east fork, or just before the mouth of Luce in the deep part of the corner that turns south. I isn't easy to find specific stumps and brush piles that you didn't know about unless you get lucky and go right over the top of them with a regular sonar unit (except I find a lot when I am spider rigging by getting hung in them). That is why I sprung for side and down imaging. The only problem with it is, like SK said, there is so MUCH cover it is difficult to not move around a lot. I need to learn patience like Sticko has.

I plan to jig brush tomorrow and not spider rig.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:06 am 

LP, I have down imaging on my hummingbird so I know how useful DI can be. I hope this is not a dumb question but what added benefits are you getting from side scans besides side view of your DI? Are there things that you see can sometimes on SI but not on DI?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:10 am 

wannabe1 wrote:
LP, I have down imaging on my hummingbird so I know how useful DI can be. I hope this is not a dumb question but what added benefits are you getting from side scans besides side view of your DI? Are there things that you see can sometimes on SI but not on DI?

There are no dumb questions. The answer is yes, you see a lot of stuff on sidescan that doesn't show up on downscan. Also, I use Lowrance stuff so my explanations are based on that brand but I'm sure HB is about the same.
Downscan is throwing a cone from the transducer to the bottom just like a 2D transducer, but it's showing you a 3D image of what's underneath you.
Sidescan is showing you what's out to the side, and further outside of the range of the downscan "cone".
Sidescan took me awhile to figure out just what it was showing me, I know there were times when I was just twisting my head around trying to make sense of it then one day it finally "clicked" and I since then I always have a unit on sidescan on while "searching" and have found numerous pieces of structure that I would have missed with downscan only.

Look at the shot below. The black cross on the left (downscan) shot is the exact location of the black cross in the sidescan image on the right side of the screen, and is showing top of a laydown tree that is slightly off to my right side but still pretty much directly under the boat.
Now look down to the lower part of the sidescreen image at the laydown off the the left side. Other than a couple little twigs, that laydown did not show up on downscan because it was outside of the range of the downscan "cone" and I probably would have missed it seeing the "whole" picture with downscan only.
In sidescan, your tranducer (boat) is located at the very top center of the screen, everything from top to bottom is stuff you've already passed over. The line down the center of the shot is center line of your transducer and it shows the water column on each side of centerline. In this instance I had the sidescan range at 50' meaning I'm projecting images 50' each way, minus the water depth.
The cool thing about Lowrance, and HB may be the same but again I'm not familiar with them, is that I can scroll backwards and look at something, take a screen shot of it, or most importantly make a waypoint of something I passed over quite a ways behind me. I've done that before, scroll back, mark a waypoint, then go back over the waypoint and thoroughly graph the area, it's a helpful tool IMO.

Clear as mud??

Yamaha 150 VMax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:21 am 

LP, Thanks for the clarification. That was very helpful. I guess I know what I want for Christmas next year.