Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:10 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:31 pm 

Crappie are not on the consumption advisories for Livingston

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think i would take the chance
they breath the same water mud and silt.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:53 pm 

See updated email info from EPA.
I asked:
I live on Lake Houston. There are plans to bring the Trinity River into our lake in December of this year. The Corp of Engineers and the Coastal Water Authority are working on a project called the Luce Bayou Interbasin Transfer Project. The Trinity River currently has Fish Consumption Advisories from Ft Worth Texas to Liberty Texas, and it includes Lake Livingston. I am concerned that Dioxins and PCB's from the River will be brought into Lake Houston. The people from the Dept of Health Services have told me they are not sure if the contaminants from the Trinity River will survive in the Interbasin canal and if they do, it is highly likely they will be introduced into Lake Houston. Will this affect the fish in Lake Houston? Can the fish be checked for the contaminants and can the water be tested both before and after the Trinity River is introduced into the lake? Please let me know.
William Hackett Huffman, Texas Cell: 281-414-5745 Thanks

Roberts replies: (It appears the links he provided did not load properly)

Mr. Hackett,

I have reviewed the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) produced by the US Army Corps of Engineers for the Luce Bayou Interbasin Transfer Project. The EIS is a comprehensive document which identifies the status of the area to be affected by the project; identifies potential environmental consequences as the result of the project; identifies environmental effects - both good and bad - resulting from the project; and identifies reasonable alternative actions. The EIS addresses potential impacts to water quality and aquatic organisms, in addition to potential impacts to land, air, cultural and economic characteristics.

At the time of the finalized EIS in 2013, the fish consumption advisory for Lake Livingston and the Trinity River below Lake Livingston had not been issued and therefore these waters were not identified as water quality impaired due to PCBs and dioxin in fish tissue. Therefore, the EIS does not address potential effects on fish tissue in Lake Houston as a result of transferring water from the Trinity River below Lake Livingston. Without such an evaluation, I cannot make a definitive statement regarding the transport and fate of PCBs and dioxins resulting from the interbasin transfer. In terms of direct transfer of fish from the Trinity River into Lake Houston, the EIS does identify that the proposed pump station would impinge some game fish on the screens of the intake thus limiting travel.

Legacy pollutants such as dioxins and PCBs are associated with river and lake sediments. These sediments can become mobile during higher flows and/or disturbance. The EIS references the use of a sedimentation (settling) basin to separate out sediments carried in the raw water for the purposes of reducing the amount of river sediment reaching Lake Houston via Luce Bayou.

Regarding current and future monitoring: The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), working with Clean Rivers Program partners, monitors surface water quality throughout the state. The TCEQ receives funding from EPA for the monitoring and assessment of these waters. Therefore, the EPA does not directly monitor TX surface waters for the purposes of assessing the state’s water quality. Currently, Lake Houston is monitored by the TCEQ and the Houston-Galveston Area Council. You can view the monitoring locations here: https://cms.lcra.org/schedule.aspx?basin=10&FY=2020. Additionally, I’m providing a link to the Houston-Galveston Clean Rivers Program that identifies a contact for the monitoring program: http://www.h-gac.com/clean-rivers-progr ... fault.aspx. Currently, Lake Houston is meeting Texas water quality standards except for high pH in the surface water at certain locations on the reservoir. Results of the most recent water quality assessment by the TCEQ can be found here: https://www.tceq.texas.gov/assets/publi ... asin10.pdf (search by “1002” which is the lake identifier code for Lake Houston).

I spoke with the TCEQ regarding your inquiry. The TCEQ contacted the Trinity River Authority (TRA) regarding sediment sample results for PCBs and dioxins in the Trinity River. The TRA indicated they have collected a few sediment samples in the Trinity River below Lake Livingston related to the fish advisory. The summary of sample results for PCB’s and dioxins in the Trinity River, including below Lake Livingston, can be found in Figure 1 of the TRA 2018 Basin Highlights Report (http://serv.trinityra.org/reports/Basin ... Report.pdf). These results indicate that all sediment concentrations in that part of the river were below the EPA non-impacted threshold value. Based on their findings the TRA plans to focus on several sites in the upper basin (i.e. upstream of Lake Livingston) where sampling indicated potential hotspots, but do not at this time have any plans for sediment sampling in the river below Lake Livingston. The TCEQ is considering future sediment monitoring for PCBs and dioxins in Luce Bayou and the upper end of Lake Houston below the confluence with Luce Bayou.

You inquired about citizen monitoring, particularly fish tissue analysis. Analysis of PCBs and dioxins is expensive and not performed by all analytical laboratories. Choice of fish species to be sampled should be carefully considered as these pollutants are typically associated with long-lived fish with feeding habits tied to lake or river bottom sediments. I cannot endorse a specific lab for analysis of samples that may be collected through citizen monitoring. However, should you move forward, ensure that the laboratory is accredited and follows established and accepted laboratory methods for the parameters of concern. Lastly, I would encourage you to coordinate with the other monitoring agencies performing sampling on Lake Houston. As I mentioned above, these pollutants are associated with the sediment and not the water column. Therefore, sampling of the lake water would likely not provide you with useful information.

Should you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to call me directly at the phone number below.

Robert Cook
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency | Region 6
1201 Elm Street, Suite 500, Dallas, Texas 75270

Email: cook.robert@epa.gov.
Phone: 214-665-7141

Sent: Friday, August 09, 2019 5:17 PM
To: Cook, Robert <Cook.Robert@epa.gov>
Subject: Re: inquiry regarding Luce Bayou Interbasin Transfer Project

Thank you very much Robert.
Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 9, 2019, at 10:26 AM, Cook, Robert <Cook.Robert@epa.gov> wrote:
Good day, Mr. Hackett.

I received your inquiry (below). In order to address your inquiry I am currently reviewing the 2012 Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) associated with the project and produced by the US Army Corps of Engineers - Galveston District. The EIS covers many subjects including water quality and associated fish tissue. I will follow-up with you with a second email once I’ve completed the review of this document and convey my findings in addition to other information. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me either by email or phone.

Regards,

Robert Cook
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency | Region 6
1201 Elm Street, Suite 500, Dallas, Texas 75270

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:27 am 

Here is what I received on potential zebra mussels;

Attachments:
FB574309-F025-4865-89B9-1C5286D6867A.jpeg
FB574309-F025-4865-89B9-1C5286D6867A.jpeg [ 40.6 KiB | Viewed 95 times ]