Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:12 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: swimming worms
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:24 am 
Site Admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szL_Xdpir5A

Post subject: Re: swimming worms
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:33 pm 

Im not a big fan of fishing worms that way. I feel like if your gonna swim it that fast, and the bass is aggressive enough to chase it down, you might as well be fishing a spinnerbait so you aren't constantly replacing short strikes on the tail. Now give me a weightless trick work and let me dance it in front of them constantly and you can coax the less agressive ones into hitting a lot of times.

My usual progression from fast to slow is spinner bait, weightless trick worm, Texas rig worm, Carolina rig worm.

Further clarification....I can see a use in areas where the bass have been beat over the head week in and week out with spinnerbaits by everybody, their brother, wife, and mom.

Raptor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:22 am 
Site Admin

To be able to consistently catch Bass you need to be versatile. Fish all styles of baits .
A Bass like people change their diet on a regular basis. They feed on what ever is hatching
out at the moment. The bass seem to feed on spinners better when they are feeding on shad
minnows and things . But the swimming worm they would hit when the are feeding on snakes
worms and . Some days one type of lure will way out fish the other, The way this man is putting
fish in the boat sure makes it worth while to add to your baits like the toads, frogs,buzz baits,
moss master jigs. The swimming worm was the #2 most productive lure for years . That was way before
they came out with all these new swimming worms they have out now. Back then they fished it on a bent
hook and the worm actually spun in the water but when you looked down on it . The worm from above
looked like a baby snake making an (S) symbol and it swam. the fish just destroyed it. You needed
two barrel swivels to keep it from twisting your line.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:13 pm 

Sticko,

I agree. The more techniques you know the better however I use to fish a fare number of tournaments awhile back (amateur....no pro by any means) and I spent a lot of time trying to learn new techniques. What I found is that unless you got a lot of fishing time (retired, serious serious amateur, or pro) mastering some of these more niche techniques is tough. Ive spent way to much time learning how to fish a jig and have finally admitted to myself that Ill never be good enough. I simply could never get the feel for the subtle strikes. Ive finally decided to fish what Im good at and fish it well.

Hahah...I know the exact swimming worms you are talking about. Loved those for big bass fishing but I tended to fish them like a trick worm more than swimming them.

Raptor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

I was lucky when i started out Bass fishing tournaments. I met the man that was the owner of
the Night crawler lure company he was the national champion at the time. He Taught me
most of the tricks on how to work many of the lures at the time. I became a rep for night crawler
lures . He taught me how to manufacture plastic worms and pour spinner baits buzz baits. Little
George type baits at the time. I went on to own my own fishing tackle company I was a wholesale
tackle dealer for this part of texas . sold tackle all along the coastal waters from tri city beach to galveston.
supplied tackle to all the tackle and bait shops around lake Houston and all the grocery mart stores in the area
that sold tackle. I fished pro Bass tournaments for well over 35 years qualified in the top six out of this
district for several world Bass tournaments on Lake Mead . In las vegas and a world series in Kentuckey.
sponsored by Houston fishing tackle and calaway Boats.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:11 am 

Sticko,

You definetly had and put in the time hahaha. I got into it pretty serious in college but found “having” to fish every weekend amd prefish every week became more like a job and less like fun. Jigs are the ones that still drive me crazy.....even though fishing them seems so similar to worms, and worms are my go to lure, I never could get the hang of fishing them. In college I would stand on our patio and flip into buckets at different distances while drinking beer till my arm was sore. Got real good at flipping but horrible at fishing them. I finally gave up a couple years ago and threw tem all in the trash.

One question...you ever fish the Alabama Rig? I pretty much quit fishing for a couple years and just getting back into it. Seems to be all the rage now. When do you find it work best?

Raptor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:34 am 
Site Admin

Summer time is good. best times to throw it are when the bass are grouped up, and feeding on shad.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:50 am 
Site Admin

If you pitch that good you should have been good with the jignpig.
I love to throw it at the base of trees drop it in the roots bounce it a couple
times no hits pick it up and drop it around the next tree.
very good on Rayburn or Toledo once the moss mats up on top just knock a hole in the top
layer of hydrilla and let it fall same thing let it hit bottom bounce it a couple time
then move over a few feet do it again. Black/blue frog or craw on rayburn black/ chartreuse on
Toledo. 3/4 to once ounce. moss master jigs. a 1/4 or 3/8 makes a great swimming bait.
crawl it over limbs let it fall . Great in and around buck brush pitching docks. need good
hi vis line and need to watch the line they will hit it on the fall really good most times
wont feel the hit but see the line move. open the gap on the hooks shorten the weed guard
and keep the hook razor sharp.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:43 am 

Sticko...sounds like you are the bassmaster around us. Don't be shy...shoot and post the instructional video!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

at one time i did fair but now they have techniques i know nothing about.
But the old baits and teachings still work great . The fish have not changed
just the baits people use . spoons have been around since the cave man
and still catching fish. A jigger pole will still put monster fish in the boat is
very exciting to have a 5 pound or bigger fish on a very short line at the end
of a pole.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:53 pm 

Don't let Sticko fool you. He has won MANY bass tournaments and has fished in the bass masters classic (I think).

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:51 pm 

Sticko,

Yeah I could pitch / flip it good but never got good on feeling the subtle strikes on the drop. I got fair when I could see subtle line movements but not great by any means. My partner and I finally agreed he would pitch the jig and I would flip worms / lizards / brush hogs / etc. Something about the plastics just made it easier for me to feel the bite.

I would say the one technique I learned tournament fishing that I have grown to love is Carolina rigging. I took to that like a pig in slop. :D

Raptor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iCKZHNYRt8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:55 pm 

Sticko,

Now thats a neat looking bait. Looks to me to be a more realistic looking torpedo. Suprised he was fishing it withut a barrel swivel.

Another interesting thing that video brought up. When bass fishing did you always have a finger on the line in front of the reel, hold just the reel, or vary depending on the lure?

Raptor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:55 am 

We throw Big Bites Cane Thumpers quite a bit. For some reason Academy doesnt stock Swim Senkos. Thats fine really because they are overpriced and the thumpers are the bomb.