Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:03 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Luce to lake route
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:13 pm 

Like it says, just got me a "new to me" bass boat. Ive put in a few times but either stayed south side of lake or in Luce. I remember from high school days that there was a certain route that was safe. Anyone mind explaining it to me. On another note, been having hell finding these big mouths lately. Oh well, just gives me excuses to fish more LOL

Post subject: Re: Luce to lake route
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

well i see your wanting to go from the ramp in luces to the lake . fairly open if you go down the center

of the bayou going south. the first buoy marker you come to is marking a big stump go to the right side of that

marker. after that you will go around a big bend then a short stretch of water and you will see a big bay on

your left then the creeks narrows again you will see some boat houses on your

left once you get to the last boat house; go the far right side of the creek go down that side

because once past that last boat dock is a big stump just under the water that had a bouy on it but was washed

away in the last flood. so go down the right side of the creek till you reach

the next curve then you will see marker buoy's leading you out to the main lake and east fork of the river. .

nice to have a lakemaster map in your depth finder to show the channels.

BUT always take it very slow your first trip to mark you a safe trail.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:25 pm 

We have a high school tournament March 4th on Lake Houston and I've never been on the lake. Any suggestions, have a brand new boat so concerned about navigating, stumps, and shallow areas. Is it best to put in at Ponderosa Marina and stay in Lucy's Bayou? Is it safe to run Lucy's Bayou? I understand things can change and floaters can appear, just want to know how to navigate the lake safely. If anyone has any tracks I'd appreciate it, not looking for exact fishing spots, just navigating the lake. I have both LakeMaster and Navionics cards (Hmmingbird units) if one is better than the other for Lake Houston. Thanks, appreciate any information.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

I run the lake master and it has been right on shows the channels in a bright

purple or pink line also the main lake and the east fork have buoy markers in the
main channels but only in the mouth of the bayou . south of ponderosa is
okay to run has a lot of curves to watch for. but the north end from ponderosa i would only idle if never been there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:24 pm 

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:11 pm 

C130 wrote:
We have a high school tournament March 4th on Lake Houston and I've never been on the lake. Any suggestions, have a brand new boat so concerned about navigating, stumps, and shallow areas. Is it best to put in at Ponderosa Marina and stay in Lucy's Bayou? Is it safe to run Lucy's Bayou? I understand things can change and floaters can appear, just want to know how to navigate the lake safely. If anyone has any tracks I'd appreciate it, not looking for exact fishing spots, just navigating the lake. I have both LakeMaster and Navionics cards (Hmmingbird units) if one is better than the other for Lake Houston. Thanks, appreciate any information.

I would say you can run pretty safely towards the lake from the ramp but not the other way. I have been fishing down on the south end of the lake most recently and not bothering with the fight in Luce with all of the boats. Although there are good fish in Luce just too many boats to deal with.
What high school?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:12 pm 

Thanks for the info, Magnolia High School. My son started the club there and this is our first year.