Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 2:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:10 pm 

My poor wife and son....she keeps trying, but the fish just don't want to cooperate when she goes. Went to Sheldon this evening. Got a frog sucked down a few times, but only 1 true blow up and it was mine. Still did not get it, no clue how not, it almost pulled the rod out of my hands, then my Hookset came flying back to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:53 am 
Site Admin

you may want to take your wife out to catch a different fish for a bit

so she can catch something it is very boring to fish all day and not

catch anything. That is what i would do just to keep her interest up in fishing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:57 am 

sticko wrote:
you may want to take your wife out to catch a different fish for a bit

so she can catch something it is very boring to fish all day and not

catch anything. That is what i would do just to keep her interest up in fishing.

X2...

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:17 pm 

I have never really tried to fish for anything else, so I would probably would not be any more likely to catch fish. I remember being younger and being able to catch perch in ponds without even trying, but don't know where around here to do that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

basically any place you find Bass will hold the perch sandy or gravel points, lay downs,

rip rap, along road beds . weed beds . along bulkheads etc>

use live meal worms or crickets. should have her on fish in no time.

or the catfish are on the bulk heads now early mornings.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:30 pm 

Well I thought tonight was gonna be the night....went up the east fork a ways and had her throwing a wacky worm and I spinnerbait with no luck. Tried some stinkbait for catfish next to the channel ledge, no luck. Decided to head to the main lake bulkheads and she said she did not like catfishing, so I went and found some pads to frog.... did not take long and I had several strikes. they where hitting it like crazy, but not taking it completely. Some where slamming it pretty hard. I got her a wacky worm rigged up so she could cast to where they missed my frog..... I seen her sitting with the rig on a lose line and the slack starting to go out of her line heading toward the pads. I looked over to see if she was paying attention, she was, but about that time her rod bent over, and I told her to set the hook. Unfortunately her Zebco 33 with stock line was not prepared to wrestle the bass which was now into the pads out. She is still mad, but said she kept setting the hook too soon before. I ended up finally landing about a 16" before the night was up.

All in all she still did not get her bass, but it was enough action she was not ready to go home at dark, and is determined to go back and fish those pads lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

yes it is a timing thing with the frogs have to wait after the hit before setting the hook.

33 is a might iffy in the pads for a good bass maybe an 808. and some good line.

or a good lew's speed reel.would be nice to break her in on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:31 pm 

I am amazed how many I missed myself, majority I was not even setting the hook, they would blow up on it hard and be off instantly. I would wait for a comeback strike and pop it a few times but no. Going to try modifying hooks and using I different frog next time, I trimmed the tails thinking that would help but did not seem to make a difference.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:32 pm 

gonna set her up a baitcaster to cast into the pool while I am at toledo this weekend lol.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:36 am 
Site Admin

now that is the way to get her started.

Stanley frog fishing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x6VDfvanC4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:25 am 

Radar, you are the victim of the "short strike". It takes some self control fishing top water baits. Especially frogs. When the fish hits the frog, drop the rod tip down giving some slack. When you feel the fish on the line, set the hook.

Now, when they are just slapping at the frog and not eating it stop using it. They want something else. I have a lot of success with a 6" to a 8" curly tail weightless worm. Drag it across the pads and hang on.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:13 pm 

Well today was the day, Loaded the family up at 4am to head to Fayette. Pretty windy today but that was alright I had a spot in mind, and was willing to fight the wind. Pull up and position the boat in 22fow and it is really windy. I rigged up a C-rig with a heavy weight for my wife on a baitcaster and positioned her to cast with the wind hoping she wouldn't backlash this way. About 20 minutes in she catches the first fish of the day. I catch 2 more in pretty short order and its looking like it's going to be a great day. I tell my son get ready because I am going to let him reel in the next one I get on.......and then the trolling motor breaks off the plastic tabs that lock it down......so much for that. Entirely too windy to try and rig it and expect it to work out. *sigh* at least she got one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

I thought the pros like you always carried a spare troll motor in the rod box
clune
and just whipped it out and latched it on . I saw rick clunn do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:20 pm 

I am usually anything but prepared lol. I still need to get a spare prop for the trolling motor, the whole thing is out of the question.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

I just had to mess with you drive all that way to Fayette then can't fish. But I know your wife

was glad to catch one. But you may want to get a spare drive pin for that troll motor prop.