Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:25 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:24 am 

Man, I have been beating the water and cant seem to catch a fish. It has been some time since I have caught fish out on the lake. Not sure what is going on but I have had no success. It has gotten so bad that I have decided to not get in any tournaments lately. I cant even catch a little one. It has been the last 3 months for me.
I fished yesterday in several areas that I should have caught fish on every cast. I know people are catching, I just cant get a bite. I went to fayette and caught fish last weekend but lake Houston has become a bear for me. Only thing the least bit enjoyable yesterday evening was a bunch of pigs came down to the water edge right next to me. Those were the only hawgs I saw.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

usually when that happens for me is i get so excited to catch a fish . I am fishing to fast and the more

i do not catch a fish the more i hurry to catch up. thinking the fish is just around the next stump or

structure . So the best i can give is slow down and concentrate on one structure at a time slow the

movement of the bait and actually picture in you mind what the bait is doing in the water. Until you slow everything

down the fish will continue to elude you. Concentrate is the name of the game.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:24 pm 

Yes, I think I am trying to cover to much water and need to slow down. By the way Sticko, did I see you and maybe Dutch in a boat together on the bayou right before red gully around 3:30? While I have never met either of you, it looked like your picture.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:45 pm 

I was abput to say the same thing. It get in your head and makes you change what is working.

Two conflicting game plans, 1. Get out you go to bait for that time of thr year, water color and sunlight and fish it real thorough. Or change it up, If your banging the shores, try deeper water and lures appropriate for that.

Last edited by CousinDan on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:47 pm 

Yup, that was us. Sticko is usually in his own boat, but we played together Saturday. Stop and say Hi next time.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:52 pm 

Its happened to me plenty o times, i have found that if i pick my most confident go to baits and concentrate on fishing them in the scenerios i have caught fish with them before i get more bites.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:53 pm 

My favorite is slow rolling a willow leaf spinnerbait

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

Bassman1 wrote:
Yes, I think I am trying to cover to much water and need to slow down. By the way Sticko, did I see you and maybe Dutch in a boat together on the bayou right before red gully around 3:30? While I have never met either of you, it looked like your picture.

yes that would have been us if we were fighting and throwing things at each other and him trying to throw

me out of the boat then that was us'uns

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

bassman the bass should be in the spawning flats and up on the bank in the spawning mood.

gravel points and ledges . Just pick one area and slow it down and concentrate on working the bait

properly and you will be back on your A game before you know it. if your quite and work slow

you can sight fish on beds even in the off color waters in lake houston. Be quite and slow listen

the bass will tell you where they are.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:42 pm 

Well all good advice and thats what makes this forum work.
I thought that I recognized you both from the pics on here. My son and I went past you 2 and I asked if you were catching all of my fish....... you said yes....lol.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

we did get 21 nice crappie and Dutch caught one nice Large mouth bass about 3 pounds .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:12 pm 

Sheldon was on Fire today. Hop over there to get some confidence back.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:15 pm 

I had a 20lb stringer on fayette last weekend, but I probably get skunked 3 out of every 4 trips on LH, so I feel your pain. I want to be able to fish it better soooo bad.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:41 pm 

Sticko/Dutch,

I think I saw you both as well around the same time.....just as we were getting swamped by a passing boat. I thought Dutch was going to lose his spider rig as the bow of that Tracker was rising/falling in the wake.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:45 pm 

Bassman1, we were out on the water 8 hrs Saturday and caught just 3 LMB....3.5, 2.5, 1.5lb.....mostly along the bank at Skiers Cove. Everything looked so "fishy" in the bayou.....skunked. Water was 67 degrees and relatively clear. :x