Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:10 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:18 pm 

Went out today and got 17 keepers and plenty of throwbacks, mostly males on cranks and traps.
They are not stacked up on the sand flats like they were last week as had to keep moving to catch em.
The keepers today were 10 1/4" to 12 1/2"

Still a nice current in luce but it is falling as the gates are still open at the dam, water is stained to muddy with a few floaters in the cuurent and some are semi submerged. :shock:

Got to meet Mudbug today and caught 2 throw back crappie's while we were shooting the bull.(lol)
Nice to talk to you and your fishing partner today.

Seen Dutch and hope you caught some white bass in the area we met at this afternoon, if you did not they will be their again as they are going to spawn in that area. That's the type area's that's been working for me with the white bass .

Will be out tomorrow looking for any fish that want to play tomorrow.

JW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:26 pm 

JW, I didn't recognize you.... didn't have my glasses and you were too far away. We worked that area pretty good and caught a few small males. Tried several shallow areas like it back towards Ponderosa and ended up with 20 caught of all sizes, all released. My grand daughter had a grand time, and even caught 2 keeper black bass which were released also. Thanks for the tip about where to fish.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:51 pm 

That sir, just made my day better that you and your grand daughter caught them and the LM bass too~!

Glad to hear she had a good day catching them also.

JW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

sound like nice trips Jw and Dutch

CLEANING AND COOKING
White bass are excellent table fare if properly
prepared. Mucus secreted from the backbone
during cooking causes an off flavor; this
can be eliminated by filleting each fish. In
addition, the red-meat portion of each fillet
should be removed. The two slabs of
boneless fish thus obtained can be fried,
baked, broiled, smoked, grilled or boiled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:26 pm 

Sticko, never heard about the back bone, as me and Mudbug were talking about eating white bass today on the water. Told him that after their filet, to cut the red meat out of them. One thing I would do if not cooking same night, would put them in water with some salt to brine them out overnight in the fridge and cook them the next day, and they were good to go.

Do you cut off some of the backbone after you filet them or does the electric knife do it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:53 am 

A good way to do it also is filet them and once done Spray the meet with water in a sink until you stop getting the fat bubbling out, just keep spraying them until you get nothing but clean water and you will never get that taste in them. My wife did not like them because of the real fishy until I started doing that and now she can not get enough :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:06 am 
Site Admin

Jw if you fillet the fish you will not have any back bone in the fillets to worry about.

it is always a good idea to soak any wild game in salt water to get the gamey taste

out of them before putting them up. i have cooked white bass right along with other

fish and no one can tell the difference.

I guess soaking in salt water is doing the same thing Jignjim is doing with the spray

of water. Just get all that blood line out . and be sure to cut the rib cage out. That

will give a musty taste if you leave it in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:13 pm 

jw202 real nice meeting you,and enjoyed talking with you, yesterday was tough with the current on my pontoon, never could get my trolling speed set right if i set my speed set where it should be i would be going backward with the current and if i set my speed up i would be going to fast. we ended up with 7 w/b we released all. i think if we would have got in the slough where we met you ,we might have caught a few. looks like we have rain the rest of the week,so the current want be any better for a while.waiting for your report for today.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:58 pm 

Luce is now muddy and still dropping.

The white bass were eating early and caught a limit as a spot that they were at was given to some fellas on spring break and did not see them again to see if they caught any as they were stacked up and biting
when I left them so hopefully they also got a mess.

Had 18 when I left them and went back to where they were yesterday an had to work to get the limit.
Mostly males again with a few females today. Still lots of unders too, as it seemed to catch 4 unders to catch 1 keeper. Mudbug that new crankbait I showed you yesterday was retired today as all the paint was removed by the white bass today.(lol)

The parking lot looked like St. Paddy's day is now a national holiday. (lol)
It's spring break here in Huffman along with other schools and seen quite a few families out today.

The gar were out rolling the top of water and forgot to check water temp when picked up as it was over 60 this am at the lauch.

Was done and home by 1 and had to clean out the livewell as it was full of 1" to 1 1/ 2" shad from the whites spitting up their dinners so the shad must have just spawned again.

JW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:28 pm 

Marinating white bass in mustard or La. hot sauce before frying will get rid of the fishy taste. Been doing it for years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:41 pm 

Sure glad I don't have to do all that special junk to my keepers for them to be "DELICIOUS".....LOL

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:25 am 

I was all over the bayou yesterday and threw everything but the anchor at them and only caught one WB. Even tried drumming some up to no avail. I guess they can sense my presence!lol