Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:05 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:38 am 

Attachment:
IMG_20190108_102726.jpg
IMG_20190108_102726.jpg [ 21.15 KiB | Viewed 269 times ]

So, I've only caught 4 white bass...while targeting the thumpers of course!

All I've caught have been the size on top, but WHOA.....this big Ol'thing tried to steal a jig meant for a crappie, so I sent it to jail....in the movie "The Great Escape" I believe they called it "the cooler" hehehe.

So, is the one on the bottom normal for a white bass, or is that considered "big"?

Thanks for any input!

"Life is shorter than we've been lead to believe. Soak it all up like a dry sponge!" 8)

"If I never win anything else in life, I smile knowing I came in first place in a race of billions!" :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:28 am 
Site Admin

look at the belly on that one full of eggs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:22 am 

Yes, Sir! But I only noticed the egg situation once I got her out of the bucket when I got back to shore.

When landing a fish aboard a skinny 10' piece of floating plastic(kayak), stability is of the utmost priority. Step one: catch, land, & bucket fish. Step 2, don't flip boat while doing so. :mrgreen:

I was so amped from seeing the size of that fish (4th white bass ever) and trying to place her in the bucket behind me without going swimming, that I didn't notice she was with young to be. Otherwise, I would have just snapped a photo and slipped her back into LH.

Once I made it to shore, that's when I noticed she was a mom fish, and it would have made no sense to toss her back by then. White bass don't hold up as well as crappie in a bucket. I caught her on one of those, " I'm headed back to the dock, but I'm going to cast along the way" casts. Lol So, no bucket water change on the last 5 mins of fishing.

Fun though! Hope I didn't destabilize the WB population. :|

"Life is shorter than we've been lead to believe. Soak it all up like a dry sponge!" 8)

"If I never win anything else in life, I smile knowing I came in first place in a race of billions!" :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:25 pm 

Nice wb and I see'um that size and bigger..... Please keep evar last one of'em you catch as there are way too many in the lake.......

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

Check Out Some Good Crappie Vids Here....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:28 pm 

Well, SK, I'll go on your words. I'll keep what I get. It weighed 1lb 10 oz.

On another note, I weighed the two biggest crappie i had this weekend, both 1lb 4oz. Just need to find 7 like that so I can saunter up to scrum the weigh-in table. :mrgreen: I'll get back to the crappie board to talk crap of my upcoming tourney take home!

Caught a couple little yellow bass too! Those things have some temper. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:21 pm 

How long was the white bass?
I caught three over 17” last year...
So there can be big ones...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

EnjoynLifeInfinately you don't need 7 to come to the weigh
in table only one man had 7 fish last tournament.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:47 am 

Okden, it was 14.5 inches long and 5 inches tall. For only my 4th WB, I'm happy as heck! I'm sure your fish were fun to play and land. Thank you for your input as well.

Well, Mr. Sticko, I've only recently began to get the hang of convincing these fish to ride in my kayak with me. Although ice only fished 1 tourney, and might I add had 2nd biggest fish (-thumbs suspenders proudly- :mrgreen:) I still show up to the weigh-in to gain insight from experienced anglers, and sometimes at launch just to say hey and the good luck line.

...but seriously, the main reasons for not having more tourneys under the belt, is watercraft.... motorized watercraft. My ability to cover area and increase catch chances and size is severely limited when your average mph is 4.25 without breaking a sweat. Although, I'm putting in time finding clusters of holes until then to compensate for lack of HP.

Sometimes I'll ride the wake of a wild boater. :mrgreen: Rather distracting from fishing, but soooo fun. :mrgreen:

I've plans on getting something to float rather soon. All I need for now is a 14' Jon with a 15Hp. I like skinny water. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:05 am 
Site Admin

okay buddy i bragged on you all i can you have to have
confidence in yourself. It is funny the people fishing on the
bank want to cast out as far as they can . People in boats
want to cast as close to the bank as they can. Its not how fast your
boat can go. people with fast boats spend more time running up
and down the river than they do fishing. I have fished tournaments
for more than 40 years and won many of them close to the boat
ramp without ever cranking my outboard up except to get off the
trailer. The thing is study the habits of the fish you want to catch
where they like to hang out during each season of the year .
then search the area close to the ramp that has the depth and structure.
the fish like,
for lake houston that depth is mostly 10-12 feet. structure there are several
kinds but mostly brush piles . on channel drops , on points , on ledges,
look for these in or near 10 feet depth most of the time . right now with
all the high water the fish have moved shallower.
with the fish you caught you are in the right depth and on the right structure
so just find more areas holding the same thing and you will be fine. Just do
not run off from your fish i mean do not leave the spot to soon change jig colors
and jig size to try to get the fish hitting again. also search around that same
area to see if there is more brush or structure close to the one holding fish.
learn to fish the fish and not fish the lake. There is more fish in one creek
than a man could catch in ten years if he just fished it every day. we just need
to learn an area good and where the fish are holding in it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:10 am 

Indeed, Sticko. I agree completely about finding several spots in close proximity; and on a different thread I've mentioned how now it's getting to the point I can induce a strike on more than 50% of my jig drops even if I miss the hookset.

So yeah, the confidence thing is behind me.

I like the yak because of the low profile from fish eyes below. I look like a big floating log that is swept stationary against some type of structure. Not some huge honking rectangle that blocks out the sun. Smaller bow waves upon approach as well. Also, my motor never gives me any issues. :mrgreen: It runs on Gatorade! The 6 inch draft never made me upset. Looking forward to that shallow spawn.

The areas I want to target for more mature fish , let's say, the railroad, that's an hour paddle, each way. I can spend that time trying to pull up fish. Although I'm considering launching at LH marina. However, I've always been one to consolidate work. This last weekend, I had 4 different people approach me on water and ask if I was the same guy in this same spot yesterday, last week and so on. :mrgreen: Guilty!

I do thank you again for your insight, like not moving from your fish. I agree there too, although, I've yet to start changing size and color, I've just been rotating sides of the same pile(s) until the bite is dead for 30 mins. I then run off somewhere else and return to pile #1 :mrgreen:

I'll give the size/color change next time bite goes weak. By the way, I may have met you when I first started on LH last year during spring. If you ever were cleaning fish at the station at BJ's, and asked for advice for a newbie. (Like that's never happened to you before lol) The fella sorta resembled your avatar. Some time ago though, so who knows.

Thanks again! If you see me on water, give a holler.