Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:42 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:26 pm 

It is about 5 pm, and I am ready to hit the lake. I am launching the boat and while tieing the boat to the dock, I look over my shoulder and there is a board from my trailer floating in the water. W T H. Keep in mind I am by myself. So i get the boat tied off and now I have to retrieve the board. I get the board and the trailer out of the water and take a look at the board. The bolts are completely gone, not missing the nuts, the bolts, nuts, everything rusted away and gone. Now I have a boat in the water and no way to get it back on the trailer.
Luckily, I live close to the dock, so I went home and got my lovely wife to sit with the boat and I had to work on the trailer board instead of fishing. After two hours in the hot sun, I was able to drill the old bolts out, put new bolts in and re staple the carpet. After it was all done, my wife asked me if I was still going fishing and after all that I did not go out.
Now is a great time to put the boat in shop get everything looked at and maintained, take all the boards off and put new bolts. While it may be slightly interesting to read about my adventure, the entire ordeal really did suck. Well you guys have fun-out there and I will hopefully see you again in a few weeks.
The moral of the story is: maintenance is key to a successful day on the lake.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

i think i would have just moved the board back a tiny bit and made a new hole for

the bolt instead of trying to drill the old one out.

mclains trailers carry all the new bolts and brackets if you need them on i-10

in channel view.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:55 am 

I had a very similar thing happen to my side boards this weekend, but I caught it while I was still at the house. But, when we got out on the water, as we are running across the lake my engine just died. I mean flat out, dead in the water in the geographic center of the lake. I told my son to put the trolling motor down and we tried to just troll back to the ramp but the wind was blowing pretty good making it difficult to really get anywhere. Found that my positive battery cable ring terminal had just corroded away to nothing. I stripped a little insulation away on the cable and wrapped it around the battery post and was able to get the motor started so we can get back to the ramp. Didn't do any fishing. I learned a lesson though: Always check the battery connections before leaving the house! My boat is fairly new so I was surprised at the amount of corrosion that was present. Corrosion, be it on bolts or battery terminal can end your day early for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:57 am 
Site Admin

I always keep a long set of jumper cables in my boat it has saved many

trips also has helped many others out on the water to get back home.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:25 am 

I feel for you,in this heat.thats a durable wife for sure..