Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:11 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: catfish on Lake Houston
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

BY the Weatherman

Welcome to the forum.

As far as catfishing goes.....channel cats are plentiful in the spring along bulkheads and shorelines in as little as 1 FOW. Also, on cold days with sunshine where the water is warmer. Otherwise, they can be found just about anywhere.
Blues tend to run a bit deeper all year round.....generally 9 to 16 FOW. However, I have caught them in very shallow water year round. I have found 13 FOW to be a magic number for LH.
Flatheads are out there but not as plentiful as the above.
Catfish will eat almost anything. I use chicken hearts 99 percent of the time. Live shad or big chunks of cut shad work well....especially for drift fishing or on jugs.
With a depth finder, look for holes or drop-offs (slopes). Anchor along the slope and cast out or put jugs out there and let the wind and/or current work them. I rarely look for fish with electronics...just fish by depth.
Just about any part of the lake will produce catfish. I do not fish Luce or East Fork but there is no reason they cant be found there. Skiers cove has produced some great catches of catfish but do not try it on a warm weekend or holiday. Otherwise, the pumping station, RR bridge and power lines can be good spots.
Jugging will fill the freezer faster for those who don't fish much. Night fishing can be relaxing without boat traffic but not necessarily better than day fishing.
The lake is full of stumps and such so get to know the areas you plan on fishing. These hazards tend to change with every flood.
Good luck. We expect to see photos of your catch real soon.