Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:06 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:54 pm 

Hello all. I recently move to Kingwood from New Orleans. Here is my brief fishing history. I grew up bass fishing in Tennessee. I spent about 7 years in Mississippi, where I bass, catfish, and crappie fished ponds and streams. In New Orleans I fished speckled trout mostly, but I really didn't do too much fishing the past 10 year when I lived there. I have two very small children who love fishing with me. We bring one pole for the three of us to share because I can't keep up with baiting and untangling multiple lines while making sure nobody hooks themselves.

Now onto my issue. I have been taking the kids crappie fishing. We are using small j hooks with a bobber and pellet weight. Our bait is worms. I drop the bait as far down from the bobber as I am comfortable casting, maybe two & 1/2 feet. We have fished rivergrove park, the pond at Eisenhower park, the ponds in Fosters Mill entrace, and East End Park, all from the bank. We have had varying success. The worst being the Fosters Mill ponds. The best being East End Park.

When we have good days, we can pull in a Crappie about every three cast, while constantly getting nibbles. But our catches are all so small. I have only caught one legal to keep crappie.

My questions are:
1) Is it safe to eat fish from Lake Houston? I know the San Jacinto is a Superfund Site downstream by I-10. Does that effect our water?
2) What could I be doing differently to get large enough crappie for a little family fish fry?

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

for right now fish from lake houston is good to eat. No toxins yet in the lake waters
from your statement you must not be fishing out of a boat only from the bank.
for catching crappie the spawn is over the biggest quantity of crappie have left the
shallow water . you need to get a slip cork and bobber stops so you can get your bait
at least 7 feet deep to 10 feet deep for crappie this time of the year. Worms not the
best bait for crappie . you need Minnows mainly Arkansas shinners. now that is better
fishing for the lake . now the ponds you are fishing are most shallow and so you fish
shallow but most are little fish. You may do much better fishing from durssen park
lake houston marina or from the 2100 bridge.
catfish may be a lot easier for the little ones to catch than crappie from the bank

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:37 pm 

Thanks. I had never heard of a slip bobber. That helps a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

codwater wrote:
Thanks. I had never heard of a slip bobber. That helps a lot.

THIS might help you under stand how they work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOyQffOiL4I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXVOvKVCWrY