Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:33 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:53 am 

After many years of fresh water fishing, I went primarily saltwater back in 2004. I bought a beach house on Bolivar and convenience gave way to what I enjoyed more. I have recently gone full circle and will fish primarily fresh water. Im mostly a bass guy, but I have a wife that I "think" I can get on the water more if I can put her on fish. She will never bass fish, but if I could get her excited with catching crappie, I think I can get her out more than once a year.

Having said all that, I could use some help. First off, Im not looking or asking for gps coordinates...or markers to find existing brush piles. What I am asking for is some direction as to what part of the lake I should start my search AND a depth I should search this time of the year.

I run a very large tournament type boat...its basically a bass boat on steroids...without carpet and with a center console. I have a 25' 6" Majek Extreme with a 250 SHO. Its a low profile boat with a ton of room (I have pics but have no idea how to upload on this site). I live in Pasadena so just a short trip to Lake Houston. My biggest concern is since I dont know the Lake, I dont want to put in somewhere and tear the boat up...or risk someones safety. Ill never get on plane until I am comfortable with the surroundings. Looking at lake maps and my Navionics chart, the upper end of the lake looks "fishier" than the south end. Here are my questions:

1. What marina would be a good place to launch? My boat drafts about 14 inches...

2. What depth should I concentrate on at this time of the year? I understand Lake Houston is more of a "shallower" lake than many others??

3. When searching for brush piles, I assume I should target the creek edges and river edges?

4. When searching for the brush, Im guessing its like trying to find a needle in a haystack...just roam up and down by creeks...deeper points etc...looking for them on the graph, then tossing the bouy over...then come back and find it again??

5. When looking for brush on Lake Houston is it plentiful?? or is it difficult to find...I dont mind putting in the work finding them, just want to set the right expectations...

My buddy and I are going out tomorrow to try and find structure to fish...basically a recon trip...my hope is to find 8 to 10 brush piles to mark (not sure if thats realistic or not) so that I can have a place close by to fish. Im a catch and release guy for the most part. I will keep maybe 6 to 10 crappie for a meal, but am not on a meat haul...

Any help is appreciated....simply looking for some direction that my boat will work and some general tips on the type of water to look for....Thanks for any input....

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:11 am 
Site Admin

BobbyG welcome to the board. you have a good head on you for fishing crappie or bass
the crappie will hold to most brush that the bass do. you have answered most of your own
questions. Fish were easy to find a month ago they were up shallow spawning and limits
were easy to get. Right now the spawn has just finished up and the fish are moving out to
their summer homes in the deeper cooler waters along the river channel. So the fish are
really scattered right now some deep some shallow and every where in between.

I fished yesterday and picked up 28 nice crappie in the 9-11 feet down. on 1/16 ounce
red head jigs with a black back chartreuse tail. 90 % of the time the crappie on lake houston
will hold from 8 to 12 feet deep year around. holding on brush piles along the creek and river
edges. If you have a side image you will find piles easy. If just down image a little more time
but still works. with your lake map just bring it up and look for the under water points on it
right at rivers edge. get on top of the rim of the river or creek and hold the boat in the
8 to 9 foot range and scan the points there is a lot of piles in the east fork and luces bayou
above 1960 bridge. good launches are lake houston marina on hwy 1960 east side $10 fee
Ponderosa marina on luces bayou on the huffman new caney rd. $7 fee Duesen park south
end of the lake it is free, the main lake has buoy markers marking the channels to run it
but you have that on your nav map. the bayou and east fork of the river are kind of stumpy
so go slow till you map you a safe route .

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:20 pm 

What electronics are ya running???

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think your wife would enjoy going out in this heat might wait till oct or nov.
then she will enjoy it more and may come out more often.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:24 pm 

silentkilla wrote:

Lowrance HDS 9...no downscan or sidescan yet....Ive ordered the Lss-2 transducer for that but wont be here until the weekend...

Sonar is very good...I see structure well...but probably not as detailed as w the downscan

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:27 pm 

sticko wrote:
I don't think your wife would enjoy going out in this heat might wait till oct or nov.
then she will enjoy it more and may come out more often.

Yea thats the purpose of finding spots now...shed hate it in this heat...I wouldnt even attempt to bring her. Im hoping to find a few spots that when I do bring her out we will at least have an opportunity to catch some crappie...

Thinking about launching at Ponderosa in the morning....will I have better luck going North in Luces?? or South toward the main lake??

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:00 pm 

SK,
(Garmin) echoMap Chirp 93sv Side Vu scanning and Clear Vu , I have no clue what I'm doing with electronics. Still learning!
Why you ask what we are using? Will you be putting on some tutorials, if so sign me up!
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

BobbyG wrote:
silentkilla wrote:

Lowrance HDS 9...no downscan or sidescan yet....Ive ordered the Lss-2 transducer for that but wont be here until the weekend...

Sonar is very good...I see structure well...but probably not as detailed as w the downscan

as long as you can see the structure it will work just fine. is it mounted on the console or
on a troll motor. at the top of the crappie lounge i have a sticky #7 crappie finding structure
that will give you an idea how to find brush piles . using a depth finder with transducer on the
bottom of the troll motor.

also go south in the bayou tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:30 pm 

EG I've never dealt with a Garmin unit but I''m sure it's the same principles as HB & Low units....
Spend time with your unit, it will give you results a lot better at around 3 to 5mph than 50 or 60mph.....
I like running the crapp outta my boat too but when I'm in search of fish I'm idling for sure.....
There's so much stuff in LH it's unreal....
I'm most areas you can't go 50yrds without being on top of structure that will hold fish.....
I got a good laugh outta ole SkinnyKenny this w-end while he was sitting on one of my piles and was fascinated that by just opening his eyes there is structure just beneath the surface that will hold good fish....
Kenny stay off my holes..... Gonna get you explaining on vid next time.....
Nothing beats time on the water....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:08 am 
Site Admin

what gets me is you will see a nice size pile you mark it and turn around to
go to it and run across a little tiny stump that will hold more fish than
the big pile you first saw.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:31 am 

Had a great day on the water. yesterday..mostly scouting and learning the lake. Need to give a HUGE shout out and Thanks to Richard (Yamaha250)....I get a call from him yesterday offering to show me the lake one day. I told him I was actually on the water as we speak. He then said he had a couple of things to wrap up and he could meet me in an hour or two. Richard was kind enough to run me from Luces Bayou to the sand bar at the north end of East fork...to the restaurants at the north end of west fork...AND all the way to the dam. I now have good tracks to run and to hopefully find quality places to fish.

I found NUMEROUS brush piles...I marked them on the way out of Luces. On the way in we checked them and found good brush. We didnt fish much as my buddy and I were a bit spent. We got on the water at 6 30 and left at 330...it was a bit tough but well worth it.

Luces bayou looks a fishy as any place ive ever seen...had great depth...structure everywhere...seems like many tournaments could be won in just that area.

I marked probably 10 to 15 brush piles...most in 9 to 12 foot of water...I am hopeful they will hold fish. I just need to refine my crappie fishing skills as i was hanging up on nearly every drop.

Thanks again for everyones help...I now have good tracks to run for safety, and I have found what looks to be very fishable areas...and its so close to home you just cant beat it. I am a fan of Lake Houston for sure...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:40 am 

BobbyG, sounds like you're on the right path!!! And props to Y250 for helping you out!!

That's a good depth range for piles. Don't worry about hanging up, you'll get the feel for dancing your jigs around the limbs real quick. If you lift up and feel your lure hit a limb, don't try to free it immediately, let it sink back an inch or two if it will and see if you can get a bite. Sometimes the easiest way to get a jig out of a brush pile is in a fish's mouth! Most of us use 12 foot long poles...reel down till your rod tip hits the jig and gently push it off the limb. Most times, if you were catching fish, you can back away and come back after 10-15 minutes and start catching them again.

You're fixing to have a lot of fun out there!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:17 am 

Glad to help out ! Some areas of the lake are strewn with floating debris, with some just below the surface, so it was a delight to show BobbyG some safe routes to follow. Of course each time the lake rises above normal and falls, the debris is prone to get lifted and moved so we should never get complacent !

All the best to yall !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:26 pm 

Hold up SK you're getting out hand. The one spot I've seen you at was by the mouth & plenty of people fish that spot. I use my electronics to find the spots that I fish! You can't claim the entire Lake Houston as your spot. Please tell me what other spot have I fished that was your so called hole?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:29 pm 

Skinnykennie601 wrote:
Hold up SK you're getting out hand. The one spot I've seen you at was by the mouth & plenty of people fish that spot. I use my electronics to find the spots that I fish! You can't claim the entire Lake Houston as your spot. Please tell me what other spot have I fished that was your so called hole?

LOL...... I'll let you know when I pass by and tell you Get outta my hole..... yes if you didn't know I own all of Lake Houston and gonna own Lake Conroe real soon.....
Not to worry I'll blast you on video when you see me in a area then wanna say you found this and that.....
Go put your own work in.... Go where you don't see other folks fishn.....I did it just so I wouldn't hear folks sayn I was on their hole.....I might be close but I don't wanna fish you're already beat up hole.... you get what I'm sayn.....
A lot of the areas I fish even if it's in someone's back yard they're gonna think what the he'll is he sitting right there for...
That's how you catch a 3lber, go where others don't and let folks that bird dog you know you're watching them....
Took you long enough to read that....
You learn anything yet....
Bring me my money this w-end....