Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:15 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: just wondering
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

does any of you crappie fishing. Ever not fish any holes that you caught fish on before.
you will fish the whole day hunting all new brush piles or crappie holding structure.

Post subject: Re: just wondering
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:23 pm 

I do that several times...I usually do it by area... I like areas that I don't ever see folks fishn... but that don't last long :roll: :roll: :roll:

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

Check Out Some Good Crappie Vids Here....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:44 pm 
YEA I know it does not last long if you know what I mean :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

is that why he says stay out of my holes.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:42 am 
Not my holes them are Harvey holes, I just do not like fishing crowds so I will leave and go search other areas where there are no people around if that is possible at certain time of the year. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:33 am 
Site Admin

Oh i see you don't play well with others. It is kind of interesting to be around a bunch of
people and be the only one catching fish. Them telling you that is disgusting because they
have not even gotten a bite. All the time they are inching there way closer and closer to
your hole. By that time you have caught most of the fish there. so just crank up move a
little ways and watch them rush to get on the hole and they still don't get a bite and now
they really do not know why. I just thank the good Lord for the ones i catch. It is different
when fishing tournaments you don't want people pounding your holes all week. When they
will not put in the hard work to find their own. That is why i made this post was to see how
much of your fishing time is put into finding new holes . A lot of people have one hole they
can go to and catch fish i bet that they did not find that one they just saw someone else
catching fish there. They will go to that hole and pound those fish every time they go fishing
once spook all the fish off that hole they are lost and can not find any more. Even lf i have a good
hole i am not going to sit on it and pound the fish i will catch a few and move on to another
hole . That way the holes will continue to have fish feed on it. I may spend the day in an area
but i will be on different piles. I am sure most of the better fishermen do the same. I spend
a good 70 % of my time on the water hunting new piles to fish.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:38 am 

Hey Sticko

I'm new to crappie fishing on Lake Houston and all trips are looking for brush piles away from season veterans and crowds. It has been fun. I guess as I get older its relaxing to be out.
Yesterday afternoon caught a few nice crappie 12 ft or so located where I have not seen anyone fish before. Lost equal number easing em up through the debris.

A few drive by's witness me horsing a few through the debris. I'm sure someone is sitting over that very spot this morning. That didn't last long. Good luck.

Wife and I look forward to bream & cat-fishing spawn kicking off...chasing crappie until then.

I tried attaching photo, file to large.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:58 am 
Site Admin

welcome EGator I sure like to hear stories of new comers that will get out there and hunt
new piles and catch some nice crappie. so congratulations on catching those fish.

I enjoy hunting new brush piles about as much
as catching the fish. It just makes you feel good when you find a new hole that no one
has fished the fish go wild and really jump on your bait . I have posted instructions
at the top of the crappie lounge. That tells exactly how and where i locate new brush
piles . Any body can take those instructions and find their own piles and be catching
fish in just a little time . But they have to put that time in. Once you get on a few
it becomes easy .

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:42 am 
Went out this morning around 7am back by 11am with a limit, good bite :)

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:47 am 

I've almost gotten use to how MOST folks are bent pole fisherman and MOST of them that are able to find the pile don't understand how to catch the fish that are there...
Boat control can and will make the fish not bite or leave a pile....
Most bent pole fishermen just get in the way of the folks that put in the work to find the piles....
All they want to do is drop their line in the water and load their boat without thinking, well you may catch a few but that will just be luck.....
We talked at the last tourney about some of the folks that just cover a easily marked hole such as by a channel marker.
If they see a person catch a fish then move they will come right behind that person not understanding the reason the guy moved is more than likely the fish are not biting there anymore...
I hope I don't come across as being a butt but folks need to understand enjoy the hunt or stay home....

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:48 am 

butz wrote:

Stop it..... :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

butz wrote:

you catching them that fast everyone needs to follow you around and leave me alone.

the crappie have been biting good for the last couple weeks .But it is strange to see the parking
lot empty of cars most have given up on crappie fishing during the best time of the year when
the fish are biting good.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:08 pm 

The fish are different this year, past years minna dunkers could pitch the banks and catch a decent amount of fish ina days time....
Right now the fish seem to be holding just out from the spawning grounds tight too wood....
It's great for me because I ain't worth a squat pitching the banks....
I'll say again crappie catchn ain't that fish you're gonna be good at catchn thinking you're gonna go out, kick back, have a beer, laugh, crack jokes and be good at catchn....
If you do this you just might luck up and catch a few....
To go on a catchn trip it's work getting directly on the piles, touching that trigger limb without getting hung, being stealthy with your boat position, know what action that worked to provoke a strike, know what depth, ect.. ect....
This type fishn is de-energizing, if your lookn too re-energize on a successful catchn trip you might wanna chase cats or bream.... you may find that it takes work to be good at those also...

IT AIN'T EASY BEING CHEESY

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:30 pm 

Well I have started fishing lake houston the last couple of weekends. I haven't been on the lake prior to that in nearly 10 years. What I've done is fished a couple of places that I've seen folks fishing to get my confidence on what the fish are orienting to, what colors they like and what depths to key in on.

I caught just a couple on "spied" holes. Mainly because they were pretty well picked clean before I fished them. But using that info, I was able to head off in my own direction and find more fish at spots I haven't seen anyone on in the last 2 weekends or where I fished long ago.

Finding your "own" spots is far more rewarding than beating somebody else to their spot.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:33 pm 

GregG wrote:
Well I have started fishing lake houston the last couple of weekends. I haven't been on the lake prior to that in nearly 10 years. What I've done is fished a couple of places that I've seen folks fishing to get my confidence on what the fish are orienting to, what colors they like and what depths to key in on.

I caught just a couple on "spied" holes. Mainly because they were pretty well picked clean before I fished them. But using that info, I was able to head off in my own direction and find more fish at spots I haven't seen anyone on in the last 2 weekends or where I fished long ago.

Finding your "own" spots is far more rewarding than beating somebody else to their spot.

Well done Greg and it was nice to finally get to meet ya out there.....