Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:55 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Jig Colors
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:39 am 

https://youtu.be/9putVXrltuc

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

Post subject: Re: Jig Colors
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:26 am 

Good info there.

Custom tied crappie jigs $18/doz plus shipping.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Many things will effect the color chance for the lures we use . One main things is to match
the hatch. or color of what the fish are feeding on. Crappie feed mainly on shad . But they are
like people they get tired of eating the same thing. White crappie feed on different things than
black crappie. the things you catch fish on today they may not hit tomorrow. the creatures
that they feed on in the summer they do not feed on in the winter.
colors will be more predominate during hatches and molting periods. you have the red swamp
crayfish white river crawfish kind of grayish when molting fish feed on them more when they are soft
right after molting. I have even seen segments on crayfish that are a bright chartreuse color.
Brown for earth worms or when june bugs hatch by the millions. pale yellow when may flies hatch.
hermitages brownish to greens . shad minnows silver chrome whites pinkish hews. muddy water
all these will effect what colors will work at different times as major hatches occur . Even different
ends and parts of the lake fish will be feeding on different creatures and may prefer a different color
if an area of the lake has a rocky or gravel bottom it may hold more crayfish or hermitages grassy areas
may have more grass shrimp or pearl clams so all these things can make a difference in what color will
work. Best thing is do not leave your brain in the closet when you go fishing. I am thinking all the time
what do the fish want and where are they hiding and why are they doing this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:37 am 

This is great information to have for those us that are Novices at this thing called "Crappie Fishing". In short order, my enthusiasm and love for this fish has been reignited through this forum and more specifically this lounge. Please keep sharing your knowledge and wisdom, as I for one have totally benefited and enjoyed learning. Thanks!!!!