Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:04 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: What were you
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:51 pm 

Doing when you caught that black crappie & in particular that Mohawk black crappie?
My research continuous on how to target black crappie & in getting a handle on it.
My question to you is what we're you doing when you caught that black crappie?
I have on my resent trips the past few in particular caught mostly all black crappie, coincidence I think not....
Any technique that someone post that they were doing that I feel helps me I will agree or disagree....
I will not spill my beans without you having some fun with this.... :mrgreen: :lol: 8) :wink:

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

Last edited by silentkilla on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What were you
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

I was jigging tops with a 1/32 red head and a chart/ sparkle body and tail.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:48 am 

sticko wrote:
I was jigging tops with a 1/32 red head and a chart/ sparkle body and tail.

I agree with smaller jigs has worked & definitely gotta be on or near brush....

Sticko I guess you & I are the only ones that've caught a black crappie recently??? :roll:

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:56 am 

I've caught mine spider rigging real slow over brush on 1/8th oz. head and a popsicle colored soft plastic tail. I seem to catch the whites when tossing a small crankbait or actively swimming the jigs near brush. They seem to be more actively chasing the baits where a black crappie wants it spoon fed to them. Make sense?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:44 am 

my observations: (and this has only been in the last couple of weekends since the discussion started)
1.) white crappie prefer perimeter of brush pile whereas black crappie are embedded deep in the pile. You know the spot where you say to yourself "It looks like a crappie would be in there" but after you barely have enough room to drop your jig through the sticks, you tell yourself "I hope there ain't a big one in there, I'll never get him out." Thick brush = black crappie
2.) water clarity ......clear to tea stained = black crappie. tea stained to muddy = white crappie
3.) water movement / turbidity / ripples........slight movement, ripples = white crappie. still water = black crappie
4.) both species very social. if you find one, you are very likely to find his friend within minutes, usually within 6" of the first find....always known this

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:03 am 

Hawgtied wrote:
I've caught mine spider rigging real slow over brush on 1/8th oz. head and a popsicle colored soft plastic tail. I seem to catch the whites when tossing a small crankbait or actively swimming the jigs near brush. They seem to be more actively chasing the baits where a black crappie wants it spoon fed to them. Make sense?

I agree with one of the techniques that have worked for you & me.....
With the recent cold front & water temps in the 50's spidering is starting to be a good technique....
I have caught a few while spidering... :mrgreen:
I disagree with the action the feesh want.... or at least it haven't/don't work for me....I find it quite the opposite most of the time....
Now let's be clear here, to consistently catch these feesh none of what we are discussing is what the feesh will want all of the time or at anytime during the day as they will change in a heartbeat....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:15 am 

slabdaddy wrote:
my observations: (and this has only been in the last couple of weekends since the discussion started)
1.) white crappie prefer perimeter of brush pile whereas black crappie are embedded deep in the pile. You know the spot where you say to yourself "It looks like a crappie would be in there" but after you barely have enough room to drop your jig through the sticks, you tell yourself "I hope there ain't a big one in there, I'll never get him out." Thick brush = black crappie
2.) water clarity ......clear to tea stained = black crappie. tea stained to muddy = white crappie
3.) water movement / turbidity / ripples........slight movement, ripples = white crappie. still water = black crappie
4.) both species very social. if you find one, you are very likely to find his friend within minutes, usually within 6" of the first find....always known this

Yes I think the black crappie prefer clearer waters & white crappie prefer stained more than clear but they are found a lot in clear water just as much as the black crappie thrive in stained...
I also think the black crappie depend on their vision more than a white crappie and the white crappie I think depend more in their lateral line to detect prey... IMO
Very good observations SD.... you got your thinking cap on this morning..... NICE
I don't ever feesh the visible stuff but them hanging out in the thicker stick-ups may be a good try....
YES both species hang on the same piles & I've found that if I'm catchn either species and the bite slows, if I change jig color & or size I will start catchn the other species...
What I haven't pinpointed yet is what colors they will prefer since one trip the color that worked on one of the species will only work on the other species..... go figure....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:41 am 

I haven't caught any in so long I have no idea what I was doing.... LOL But that should change Saturday.... :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

I do love to fish the visible stuff and the thicker the better. Sure a lot of people will fish it
but most fish it wrong. I have went on piles after others have left it and limit out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:47 pm 

Yes I agree Sticko, one can always catch feesh on visible structure but I like using my electronics to put me on feesh & on top of that it's a confidence thing....
I like to think I do it to allow the less fortunate a place to feesh just like the bridges.... only time you'll see me feeshn a bridge is if its raining or to get out of the hot sun....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

your way of doing it is the best that way you pretty much have the fish to yourself

and not have to contend with a lot if people beating the holes up. I do a lot of that

type structure hunting and fishing but i will hit any good looking tops above

or below the water. If i motor through a bridge and see a lot of crappie holding on the

pylons i will even give that a shot also.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:53 pm 

Last weekend we pulled out about 50 all together. We targeted both lay downs and piles. When the bite got slow late morning we dropped those jigs deep on those piles. Working it down between the branches close to the bottom and got thumped almost every time. Lost a lot more jigs than normal. Mostly black crappie. First time I've caught that many that deep. All chart & pink/chart worked best. The bite was very light, some fish we didn't even know were on, we had to somewhat spoon feed it to them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:41 am 

Last black crappie I caught was the tournament i fished in July. Casting roadrunners at the root balls that used to be in the east fork....slow roll would get whites, pick up the speed a bit, blacks. Seemed like they wanted a little hesitation then a jump and they'd react to it.

Stayed in the bayou since then and have been on whites all fall and winter.