Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:08 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 1 Jig or 2
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:32 pm 

I was wondering when if ever do y’all use 2 jigs, if you do what method do you use to rig them?

Post subject: Re: 1 Jig or 2
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:02 pm 

I only use one at a time when vertical jigging & can barely keep from getting it hung on a stump... LOL
I do use tandem when I'm long lining but that's the only time....

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

I use only one jig when vertical jigging brush piles.

I use two jigs in tandem when long line trolling and that time is starting about now
with this cold spell i get a leader about a foot and a half long tie a jig on each line and
a loop in the line about 2/3 way down so when you hold the line by the loop the jigs will hang
a little distance apart from each other .then tie the main line from your rod and reel to the loop.
cast this out behind the boat a good long distance and troll it with the trolling motor at a speed
of .7 to .9 mph. most pull two rod set up holding rod in each hand
but those with rod holders may troll 4 rods or more.

most people will use single jigs when on spider rig with a 1/2 to 3/4 ounce egg sinker tied
above the jigs . Like the coleman and capps rigs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:39 am 

sticko, when you're long-lining, do you start out in the channel, on the ledges, or do you follow the dropoff on either side? Obviously you troll where the fish are, but looking to get a sense of game planning while you search for the schools.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:54 am 
Site Admin

I think you answered that question nicely. I can locate the fish faster with my depth finder
than i can by trolling. I wont start trolling until i see the fish on the finder or at least bait
ball showing up. The fish will pretty much tell you what depth they are in. The crappie always
feed up and will not go down to hit a bait.
This time of the year the crappie will be in the channels chasing shad early morning. They are
trying to put on weight for the winter and to help develop the eggs before the spring spawn.
sometimes as the sun warms the water the fish will move up on shallow flats . But i sill stay
on the fish in the channel as long as i can get them to hit there because you are less likely
to have hang ups. As the fish start to slow in the deep i will venture to check the edges of the
channel and even on top to find them . Once the fish quit showing on my finder i will go to
jigging brush piles or cranking ridges and humps , secondary points .

on calm days i will spider if the wind gets up i will long line . This week when i went the wind was
calm and i caught the fish on a spider rig early morning they were hitting suspended ten feet
down in twenty feet of water . latter in the day they went down and i was catching them 14 feet
down over 25 to 30 feet of water the fish schools were wide from 20to 23 feet with some ranging
up to 15 feet. water temp was 49 degrees when i got there.
wow did i say all that . Hope it didn't confuse you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:54 pm 

Only if most of the folks would read some of this stuff they would be on crappie in no time.... y'all have up some valuable info....
Don't worry though it still won't help MOST....
Now if you post a pic with something in the background that sticks out there will be 75 thousand boats setting there a couple hours after the pic was posted with 90 thousand 5" corks in the water with triple minna hooks on'em..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

yes you can tell them exactly how to locate fish and have all the fish to themselves
but most are to lazy to get out there and use the information. But will run on
you after you have done all the work to find them.
Those that really want to learn will print off the information and go find their own fish.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:33 pm 

Wooo, that WAS a mouthful sticko, but I followed you all the way!! We will be out Sunday playing with different techniques on the river.

SK, between all you guys here, if someone can't catch a crappie down here, they just ain't LISTENING!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:55 pm 

I like 2 when trolling also; anywhere from 14”-18” apart.
I like red roadrunner jigs, 3/16, with 2” rubber tailed jigs and
Tipped with chartreuse crappie candy. Sometimes black, white or chartreuse
Roadrunners work better but red is a go to. I troll with the bottom jig in 6’ to 8’ of water.
I find it better to tie the bottom jig so it is free and not tight. The color of the trailers has to be
Experimented with...