Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:23 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:04 am 

I took my nephew out for one more trip before he goes off to Afghanistan after Thanksgiving. I tried a new spot in Caney Creek. tied onto a brushpile in 10 fow. tried pink / white...only 1. blue / silver managed 2 throwbacks. junebug / truse...zero. switched to minnows and put eleven keepers in the grease by 3 pm. lost about 4 hooks in the process as the shiners were extra aggressive and got tangled in the brush as usual. all fish were 6-7 feet below the cork. biggest fish was 1.25. balance were barely 11". very peaceful. saw only one other boat I was pretty impressed with the result as I am mostly a spring spawn stump thumper. I will definitely try more in the cooler months.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:17 am 

Nice report.

Thank your nephew for his service!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

a nice trip for the nephew to get a mess of fish. If he is going there to serve our
country I say thanks for his service.

back when i fished minnows and would get hung up . I would always carry a 1 ounce
or bigger sinker attached to a snap . i would snap that sinker on just below the float
and send it sliding down the line it will knock the hook loose from the limb it is stuck on.
then you can reel hook and sinker back up.If it does not knock it off at first just jig it
up and down a bit and it will work the hook free with out scaring off all your fish .
because if you have to pull on it to break the line it does scare off your fish.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

I had sent you a PM jiggy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:33 pm 

He is in the Army and this will be his first deployment. he is a wonderful guy and a great outdoorsman. I just wanted to remind him of what will be awaiting his return. Blue skies, light breeze through the pines, floating the creek, feeling the "THUMP", fried crappie fillets with a dash of slap yo mama and a cold Modelo Especial..........if that don't keep you motivated, I don't know what will

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:23 pm 

I normally use 3/0 hooks so they straighten out when they get hung up. but these minnows got completely wrapped up.... plus the sliding weight method never gets past my split shot. I used to use an old can (like can of corn) with both ends cut off. just shimmy it over your pole and give it a jiggle. sometimes you'd retrieve the can and hook, but normally the can was sacrificed. how's that for "redneck ingenuity"? I learned that trick from an old family friend back in the early eighties while using 20' Calcutta cane poles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

i would think if you pulled on that limb enough to straighten a 3/0 hook it
would shake the fool out of that bush scaring off most of the fish down there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:31 pm 

I'm gentle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

yes sir that is what Dutch says when he straightens out his lite wire jig hooks.
when he gets hung. But the waves from it is rocking my boat 20 feet away from
him. ( no I would not pick on you or Dutch)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:56 pm 

Pick away Sticko. :lol: Those light wire hooks are REALLY sharp, and they will lift a 12 inch crappie into the boat without bending. I lose on average only one jig per trip due to non-recoverable hang ups. Plus the weedless guards help a lot too.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:31 am 
Site Admin

It may lift a 2 pound fish in the boat But how many fish have you scared off of your piles
trying to jerk that hook loose from those hang ups. That might very well keep one from
getting a 25 limit in a day. If you shake the tree full of birds how many birds will
stay in the tree. But crappie are different they might stay in the bush to bite when the tree
down there quits shaking from jerking a hook out of the limbs down there. ( no they will all
spook off also)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:01 am 

Usually if I'm feeshn with someone & they set tha hook on a pile I'm ready to move.....
I NEVER get hung up so I don't ever scare feesh away :shock: :mrgreen: :lol:
LOL..... if I do get hung I'll gentle stick my rod down to push my jig off the limb.
If I don't disturb the pile I'll continue to feesh it....
Them feeshes for sure gonna fly away if'n their restaurant has an earthquake....

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:22 pm 

Hard to do the SK method with a 10' rod in 14' of water...minor strategic errors :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:56 pm 

SK never fishes lower than he can reach with the tip of his rod.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:12 am 

HANG AROUND A MINUTE THEY DO NOT GO FAR AND WILL BITE AGAIN, I HAVE PULLED LIMBS UP BEFORE AND WOULD STILL CATCH FISH IN THE SAME HOLE, JUST GIVE THEM ABOUT 5 MINUTES. NOT THAT I GET HUNG ALOT,HELL I AM USING THE SAME JIG I PUT ON A WEEK AGO,JUST HAVE TO RETIE WHEN YOUR LINE IS LOOKING BAD. :mrgreen: