Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:17 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Crappie Reels
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:49 pm 

Ok I am a complete neophyte to crappie fishing. Ive only done it with brim buster and minnows for something to eat. Ive always been a bass fisherman who y throws artificials. Ive watched SKs videos and got some questions. On Lake Houston is most of the jig fishing a horizontal cast and then work the jig or does some vertical jigging occur? Does anybody use the lightweight crappie reels (B&M, etc) or do all use spinning reels?

Raptor

Post subject: Re: Crappie Reels
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:07 pm 

All that's needed if you're planning on vertical jigging is something to hold some line, in other words any reel will do. I myself like a reel with a good drag, I use a little reel by Berkley (don't remember the models) on my long rods but if you're planing on doin any casting say for instance bank fishn I'd advise a fairly decent shimano reel.
I will say you would want to stay away from any of those so called Mr Crappie reels, they are trash IMO....

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:31 pm 
Site Admin

I do mostly vertical jigging and do not cast horizontal . I get right next to a brush pile and
drop my jig straight down into the limbs . letting the jig straight down slowly through the limbs
sometimes the crappie will hit the jig just inches under the water . work the jig slowly. I use this small
graphite panfish reel by bnm it is very light and i can jig it on a 11 foot super sensitive
sam Heaton jigging pole all day without tiring my arm out.
i have made some sticky posts that stay at the top of the crappie lounge to help people learn how to jig
for crappie.
I also carry a lite spinning rod and reel that i use to cast for crappie or when i am long line trolling for
them. here is the reel i use to jig it just holds my line does not have a good drag if you get hold
of a good Bass or catfish. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bucks-Best-U ... 3=&veh=sem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:46 am 

Look up Salters Jigging Poles. They show a combo you could order online.
But... You don't need a reel at all if you are jigging. Especially from the bank. A fiberglass extendable pole will do. If you notice SK reel in the videos, he doesn't use the reel to land a crappie. He just lifts it and keeps his reel set at the same depth. The reel just makes it easier to adjust the line depth.

Last edited by okden on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:45 am 
Site Admin

you have that right the reel is only there to hold the line. to help change depth
or if you hang up and break some line off.
other than that dont need the reel. a long stick with string tied on it will work just as well . a cane pole.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:40 pm 

silentkilla wrote:
All that's needed if you're planning on vertical jigging is something to hold some line, in other words any reel will do. I myself like a reel with a good drag, I use a little reel by Berkley (don't remember the models) on my long rods but if you're planing on doin any casting say for instance bank fishn I'd advise a fairly decent shimano reel.
I will say you would want to stay away from any of those so called Mr Crappie reels, they are trash IMO....

+1 on Shimano. I was an Ambassadeur user for a long time growing up but once I started using Curados and Chronarchs I never looked back. I bet I got 15 of them in rotation.

Raptor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:46 pm 

Ok so yall fish basically how I did with brim buster (Georgia term for extendable graphite “cane” pole). Only difference is we mostly fished minnows and we always fished them under corks. Only time we ever crappie (we call them white perch) fished was in winter when the bass were pretty much shut down.

Raptor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

yes and you can fish a jig under a cork.