Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:58 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:18 pm 

Hello all I am new to this forum. But I have a share for luce bayou crapie right now. At the start of luce bayou from lake Houston is producing huge crappie. I won't lie. It takes all day to get a half a limit. But for those who love quality over quantity. Pick a day soon and try your skills and luck. I am not sure how long they will school there so make a trip sooner that later. Look for brush piles in water 12 to 18 feet deep. And on drop offs and even better if a brush pile is on a drop off. Spider rig speed is slow....slow... slow. Start off with a depth of 10 to 11 feet then lower or raise if fish are not responding. Swimming a jig super slow over or through the brush piles is working too. White has been the color. Good luck yall. Don.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:25 am 
Site Admin

welcome aboard Dobby . Thanks for the fishing report. This time of the year the crappie

are migrating up the river and creeks from the main lake where they spent the summer

months. The crappie will stack up there in the mouth of the bayou and out front of there

in the east fork of the sanjacinto river. From there they will start moving up the bayou and

east fork. feeding heavy on shad to put on some fat to help them get through the cold months

of winter and to help develop their eggs. You should be able to start catching more bigger fish

up the bayou and more north in the river from now till the end of spawning in the spring time.

the spawn will start in March till May

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:59 pm 

Hey Dobby..... has your master given you clothes yet? :lol:

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:33 am 

Thank you so much Sticko! I feel welcome. Thank you also for the report on the crappie migration. I am a huge crappie enthusiast. I love to hunt them, learn them, and of course catch them. I catch a lot of slack from some that I always throw them back. But I just love catching and I am from Georgia and have old south values when it comes to this one thought. " keep what you need and leave the rest". Ergo McDonald's keeps me in fish filets lol. I look forward to reading and sharing info. " Nothing is worth having if you cant share it"......Don.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:38 am 

To Dutch. Im am blown away. Im super impressed. You know Harry Potter. That is exactly who I named my boat and screen name. And I to answer your question yes indeed a free elf here lol. Have my sock to prove it. Guess thats one for you and one for me. Binford tools hehehe.
Great to meet you the other day. I will forsure see you again in time. Best wishes to you and your family this Christmas. And Merry Christmas to you sticko and all....Don.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the Merry Christmas wish Dobby. I also wish you and your family

a very Merry Christmas . Hope Santa brings all you want and for your stringers

be filled with crappie. At the top of the crappie lounge i posted some sticky posts

on jigging for crappie there is quite a bit of information on the crappie in lake

houston that maybe of some help on your search of the elusive Houston crappie .

I admire someone who turns loose the crappie they catch. Leaves more for me to

catch. But from all the studies i have on crappie they say the crappie are so prolific

and lay so many eggs and their life span is so short lived . That turning them loose

will not improve their populations. But i do not believe anyone should ever take any

more game on any king than what meets their mediate needs.

also Ergo McDonald's never ever had any fish that tasted as good as a platter

of good ole fashioned cornmeal fried CRAPPIE . Hope to see you out on the lake.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:52 pm 

Thats a big 10 4. Hope to meet you one day. Don.