Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:47 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:06 am 

Last Wednesday I fished with JW a bit then we decided to go in , I had mentioned to JW that now that the water was low it made it difficult for me being as Disabled as I am ,I could use a hand up out of the boat at the Ramp. Well we got to the ramp and JW said I'll back your truck in and you can just drive your boat on since I have steps on my trailer to step off. Well we got to the dock and JW was loading his boat , I chose rather than go through the trouble I'd just try to get out on my own. Well I eased up to the dock shifted to neutral and allowed the boat to slowly creep towards the dock as I reached for the cleat to tie off , the boat was 8-10 inches off the dock I reached for the cleat as I was leaning over most of my upper Bodyover the Gunnel just as I grabbed the Cleat the boat made contact with the dock causing me to loose my balance ,as I fell forward the boat bounced off the dock and switched direction away from the dock. Here's where it gets Good! As my hand had the cleat my feet where all that were in the boat I found myself Planking! Needless to say I couldn't pull the boat back with my feet ,I found myself in slow motion slowly watching the Planking distance growing larger so at the last minute I pulled my feet off the boat and Splash! I'm in the Drink! Pulling my shoulder muscles and rotator cuffs to the extremes , loosing use of my right arm. So I'm grabbing my phone out of my pocket throwing it into the boat , then my blue jeans got soaked falling down , ( quit laughing) and wet jeans are heavy and with a hurt arm I couldn't getem back up , boats getting away , so at this point I grab the boat walkit to the ramp holding my pants with one hand the boat with the other , mushing in the Mud and muck 6"" deep under my feet finally getting to the ramp.Heck of an Experience to say the least. Now I know how Bill Dance Feels on a Bad Day! But JW being the Trooper he is he helped me load up pick up all my tackle and get me headed Home , and Graciously never Laughing Outloud where I could Hear Him! Thanks JW this is Twice you've Rescued Me . I can't thank you enough!.( he probably won't want to Fish near me anymore!!??. So I've decided to contact the Owner at the Ponderosa and see if She'll allow me to Fabricate a set of steps to bolt to the dock to help lessen the distance between the Boat deck and the Dock with Handrails for Some off us Older Folks who need a Hand up with a little more Stability. So with the rise and fall of the Lake getting in and out of the Boat will be "Hopefully Safer"tight Lines. I Hope y'all got :oops: a Good Laugh !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:43 pm 

No laughing here.... That's why I fabricated the side rails on the front of my boat... to keep from falling out... especially when I pull in the trolling motor.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

Last edited by Dutch on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:29 am 

Got to be careful, best to have the boat tied up before try'n to get out of it because it's definitely going to shift when you transfer your weight to the dock....
Was it your hook setting arm that you hurt?

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:57 pm 

Great story..
They need a lift there for us old people...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:49 pm 
Site Admin

Glad there weren't to many women down on the end fishing for catfish that could

have really whooped it up. when you stretch that rotator cuff out like that . the pain

will make you think you need to let the arm rest . but that is the worst thing you can

do for it . after a couple of days rest , you need to do some light stretches of those muscles to

get the blood flowing in those tendons to heal them. Look on the internet you can find some

exercises that will help it heal . it still takes quite a while for it to heal .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:31 pm 

Yea SK it was my dominate arm it's been 6days I have 50% movement without pain as of today , another week I should be ready to Jerk again. I wasn't trying to get out without being tied off I just reached for the cleat and the boat bumped causing me too loose balance I usually throw the rope over the cleat why I didn't I don't know. Thanks for all the replies see y'all Ina a few days if all goes well next few days.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:55 pm 

Wow. Close to being in a dangerous siruation! Real dangerous if you were by yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:03 am 

Yea you don't realize how vulnerable you are to having an accident till it happens , I'm just glad the water was only 3-4 ft deep , it's an eye opener for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:43 am 
Site Admin

that is why it is good to always wear a life jacket .