Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:42 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

This is only information for people that do not know how to catch crappie with jigs.

I know men do not read instructions.

you need to get the marker on the brush pile !!!! not just close to the pile.

A. lay marker on deck of boat by the troll motor B. set the troll motor on the speed of 1

C. as soon as the brush starts to enter the screen on the right side of you fish finder
kick the marker off.

fish around the marker in a circle so you cover all sides of the brush pile.

Work your jigs more slowly and do not raise the jig over one or two inches form

the down position. what you want is to make the jig look real to the fish and like a

little minnow or bug swimming along lazy and slow. not hopping like a bunny.

the fish hit as the jig falls so you always want the line tight as the jig falls. so stop the

rod tip at the top of your up pull. let the weight of the jig pull the rod tip back down.

then the line will be tight and you can feel the hit. If you drop the tip quickly you will be

throwing a big loop of slack in the line and you will never feel the fish when they hit.

always hunt brush on the channel drop of the river or creek the fish use the

channels as highways to move along and will stop on these piles to feed.

I think your fish catching will improve greatly with this information.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:41 pm 

Hope they read that Sticko cause it's the instructions on how to find feesh on your own.....

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:15 pm 

Ooopps did I say "instructions".....well hopefully those "men" will read your "how too" before they see I called'em instructions.....
I've always read instructions on just about anything I've ever dealt with, actually the only way to get whatever you're dealing with to operate to it's fullest potential.....
Lots aahhh times searching YouTube helps a lot too....
Nother thing that helps put feesh in the boat is too understand "FEESH BITE WET HOOKS".....LOL

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:07 pm 

Good stuff there Sticko. Thanx!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:07 am 

Great info Sticko thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:52 am 

(Hopping like a bunny) that funny! That is one of the things I was doing wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:16 am 

Another instruction is you need a good sensitive Rod read sticky (learn jig fishing basics #2). I have caught a lot of crappie in the fall and winter but in the hot summer I struggle to put fish in the boat and thought I had a good rod. Don't wait for the thump if you feel something different set the hook. sticky (Working the jig update #3)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:17 am 
Site Admin

I am far from being the best crappie fisherman on lake houston. But the better fishermen

are not posting any of their tips to help people catch fish. But as SK, Dutch , KC and others

on here can say if you print those stickies out that i have put on here and learn them they

will help you put crappie in the boat on jigs. Metalcutter has seen some of these in action.

I saw him catch a few fish that he did not feel tap once he used a more sensitive rod with

good backbone. And he saw me miss a couple that knocked fire from my jig. Its all fun

i sure like the Sam Heaton super sensitive rods and the new graphite reels that B_N_m have came

out with sure makes a super lite rod to jig all day with. I sure enjoyed the trip with you Metalcutter and

look forward to many more. Thanks for being a good sport.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:44 pm 

Good rule to follow. When all else fails, read instructions. lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:49 pm 

Yep RTFI !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:05 pm 

I been skunked the last three times I went after crappie this summer, including today in east fork and Luce. It can't be me, because I'm perfect. So are the jigs I use because I made them so they must be perfect too. Must be my rods... yeah, that it! I need some new rods that automatically set the hook when a fish has the jig in its mouth! ........Wait a minute, my sonar unit doesn't picture the fish right so I might need one of those new mega units too. ....and my trolling motor won't hold on a brush pile when I hit anchor on the control.... guess I need one of those new MinnKota ones that keep you right on the brush piles too!!!... YEAH! Don't know if my boat is scaring the fish away so I need a new boat too with stealth mode! That's why I haven't been catching fish!!! Glad i solved my problem, (can't be me that's the problem) but my wife won't like it. 8)

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:31 pm 

WOW.....

Slow your roll Dutch, are you vertical jigging or still spidering?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:36 am 

Vertical jigging with 1/16th oz jigs. ...from dead stick to fast jig movement... mostly intermittent movement. Can't even get a bite..... no throwbacks, east fork and Luce.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:06 am 

Are your spots getting beat up?

Most think they can advertise where they are catchn their feesh & think those spots will continue to produce....

If someone robs one of my holes it easily shows as that spot will not produce for Tom, Dick, Harry & me.....

One of the reason's I feesh tha small hidden stuff so when I drop my jig down there there will be feesh that haven't been picked on by however many folks.....

Yes crappie are very prolific but where they are & how bad it gets beat up makes a BIG difference in weather you catch or that ole pole cat being in your boat....

Try finding some new stuff stuff that not everyone will find easily & don't advertise it I'll bet you lose that skunk quickly.....

I've got a few spots that a lot of folks have seen my on but it's fairly well concealed..... however I have had some clerks pass by close enough to mark my locations...... :shock:

Like I've said for years & I know no one likes it but if you put in the work there will be very few times you go out & not get on some decent feesh....

Put In work = finding your own stuff that no-one is beating up, scan areas you DON'T see folks feeshn.
I have over 600 waypoints saved on my unit & there are still several areas of the lake I haven't even scanned..... Leave your rod at home & make a scanning trip to mark some new spots then when you go back & test them
delete the ones that are not productive......

Dutch the equipment you have is fine just go put what you've already paid for to work, you won't be disappointed....

I enjoy scanning as much as I do feeshn (well almost :mrgreen:) and I think it has paid off for me well...

Shoot i have JnJ & KR trembling in their boots when I pull up to the weigh-ins...... :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

You gotta ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:49 pm 

When you say you feeshed the river hopefully you're NOT goin by the power lines, that area has been announced in 50 post in the last year.
There were some stumps there that I feeshed that everybody past over but when that area got drug into the WWW I haven't feeshed there in over a year....

HELLO MR DUTCH.......