Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: JIGS #5
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

When working a jig, the best i can tell you slow is always better. If you think your working your jig to slow, well slow down. The crappie will hit a jig stopped. or laying still in the water. But they will not hit a jig worked to fast.
The way to work the jig when vertical jigging is with just the use of your (wrist) in a slow up and down motion. Try to stay in contact with the jig on the fall. that is when the hits will come.

I like to have my jig bumping something either the bottom or the brush. If i am hopping the jig along a ledge it want it to stay in touch with the bottom. If the terrain changes up or down i will change my line where it stays in contact with the bottom. That is when i am covering ground in search of holding places.

If fishing structure like stumps. Trees, brush piles, etc. Then i don"t always have to touch bottom . Also let the jig down very slowly around these things and into the middle of brush and limbs on fallen trees. Crappie will suspend a lot of times up in these limbs and around stumps. So if you just drop in fast and pass them up you wont get hit. Also in brush piles i like to hold the jig still in the middle of the limbs, for a bit before i start jigging around in there. Crappie are very spooky and the less motion you can make and get them to hit the better.

If in deep water around bridge pilings or stumps i will drop to the bottom and count cranks up on my reel until i find the fish up off the bottom. once found i know how many cranks to come up to the fish on other drops. also if i am setting in 30 feet of water and see fish at 15 feet on my depth finder. I will drop my jig to the bottom and count cranks on my reel till i come to the top. If it takes me 15 cranks to get to the top then i know i am coming up 2 feet on each crank so i only have to bring my jig up 7 and 1/2 cranks to be where the crappie are in 15 feet.

~STICKO~

Last edited by sticko on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Appreciate it
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:27 pm 

Sticko, I justed wanted to thank you for your advice. I consider myself an above average crappie fisherman and everything you are saying is dead on. I thought I knew a lot about crappie fishing, but you are teaching me new things (use of color line). Just wanted to let you know that you are not preaching to dead air. Keep it up. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:19 pm 

Same here sticko, I've learned alot just in the recent posts you put up. I really appreciate the information and look forward to more posts in the future. I bought a 10' crappie pole from gander mountain earlier this year and haven't used it yet. I can't think of the brand but it's a 2 piece rod with fixed guides and a reel seat. I also have a small spincast reel that I want to use, just have to clean it up first (have to replace the bearing and drag washers).
Keep it up buddy, the information is priceless and makes the learning curve alot easier :D .

thanks again
rjr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:09 pm 

Thank you for the helpful tips that you post.

Post subject: Re: JIGS #5
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:37 pm 

Sticko, I've spent the last Year on TFF and rarely would I get the info ,Help and Tips You and the others on this Forum Provide .You guys make a newby Feel like one of the Guys and Even give Up Hotspots , you Guys are a Rare Bunch and I'm Proud to be Associated with this Quality of Anglers and to be able to feel free to ask a question and being able to get an Honest , and Valuable Answer . Thanks Sticko and all the other Members as Well. OLHIPI

Post subject: Re: JIGS #5
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

tt

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]