Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:47 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:55 am 

1st--LBG--7 Fish-10.91lbs--Big Fish-1.80lbs

2nd--Butz & Knotrite--7 Fish-10.11lbs--Big Fish-1.76lbs

3rd--SK--7 Fish-9.72lbs--Big Fish-1.67lbs

4th--Dutch-7 Fish-9.30lbs--Big Fish-1.56lbs

5th--Greg-7 Fish-7.53lbs--Big Fish-1.41lbs

6th--Ken & Craphac-7 Fish-7.29lbs--Big Fish-1.82lbs (Big Fish Winner)

7th--Don & Eli-7 Fish-6.43lbs--Big Fish-1.30lbs

How about a BIG CONGRATS to LBG on the W...... It was well deserved as he's put the work in and came up with some of the most beautiful stringer of the tourney....
Speaking of which it's amazing the beauty and quality of the crappie out of this lake.
How about another BIG CONGRATS to Ken and Craphac on the Big Fish Win....
The chat at the weigh-in was as good as it gets and all really gave some valuable info on what worked for them.....Can't really say anything stood out that worked the same for any two contestants as all used different colors, depths and actions...

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

Check Out Some Good Crappie Vids Here....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting

Last edited by silentkilla on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:58 am 

Yeah my partner and i saw Dutch catch some good ones yesterday and a few other crappie guys were getting them as well. Bass bit good yesterday as well. We had 14.81 for our limit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:44 pm 

I caught so many bass yestdy I wanted to through them up on the bank....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:01 pm 

Congrats on the win money mike.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

Way to go little bluegill your the top dog now 10.91
Impressive spring time weight.
they are chasing you.

nice big fish Ken and Craphac 1.82

Lets not leave Greg out he caught way over his limit of 1
that's the way to show them Greg. moving on up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:41 pm 

REALLY...... IS THIS ALL THE CONGRATS THE WINNERS AND OTHER CONTESTANTS CAN GET.....WOOOOOW
NO WONDER OUR TURNOUTS SUCK.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:16 pm 

Congrats to the winner..... LBG ! Well done by all for it being so early ! Y'all are true crappie jerking professionals !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:58 am 

Congrats to all..very very nice catch. I'll join you guys next time for the fun and laughter!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:12 pm 

Thanks to all that commented.....

All you otherns "get with the program".......

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:31 pm 

Just not a lot of popularty with fishing in general on LH. I post on the bass section and it gets 2 comments in 3 weeks, and no one else ever puts a report on there. Like there is some big secret out here or something.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:50 pm 

O.....K...... congrats to all the weeners and a merry christmas to all. :wink:

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:48 am 

LOL DUTCH :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:35 am 

Kisndismis wrote:
Just not a lot of popularty with fishing in general on LH. I post on the bass section and it gets 2 comments in 3 weeks, and no one else ever puts a report on there. Like there is some big secret out here or something.

You bass fellers are worst than most crappie guys with being secretive........

Don't take offense that I don't comment, it's just that i'm a bass (the fish) hater...... They won't leave my crappie jigs alone.....LOL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:22 am 

I've been talkn to a few of the guys that fish the big tourneys they have on the north and east Texas lakes and they can't believe we with Lake Houston being so close to houston can't get this tournament up and going strong.....
I'm not sure what we have to do, it simple amazes me that with so many folks that fish for crappie we can't get contestants that would fish Lake Houston and Conroe to come together and make this thing work.....
Wish I had more time to really push to get folks more involved and participate....
I now we should be able to get some sponsors involved with all the outdoors businesses we have in the area....
Not sure that would even work.....
Anyone know of a board where some of the Conroe boys chat?
I know all the boards I'm on Lake Houston nor Conroe gets any attention.....
I was posting the tourney dates and then the results on 6 different boards with very little interest ever shown.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:17 pm 

silentkilla wrote:
I've been talkn to a few of the guys that fish the big tourneys they have on the north and east Texas lakes and they can't believe we with Lake Houston being so close to houston can't get this tournament up and going strong.....
I'm not sure what we have to do, it simple amazes me that with so many folks that fish for crappie we can't get contestants that would fish Lake Houston and Conroe to come together and make this thing work.....
Wish I had more time to really push to get folks more involved and participate....
I now we should be able to get some sponsors involved with all the outdoors businesses we have in the area....
Not sure that would even work.....
Anyone know of a board where some of the Conroe boys chat?
I know all the boards I'm on Lake Houston nor Conroe gets any attention.....
I was posting the tourney dates and then the results on 6 different boards with very little interest ever shown.....

You cannot compare the Houston area anglers to North and East Texas anglers. The reason I say that is that crappie are the second or third sought after species of fish in the North and East Texas regions. Whereas, in the Houston and other coastal areas, crappie is maybe 6th, 7th or even 10th or 11th sought after species of fish.

Here, crappie tournaments are up against Trout, redfish, flounder, king fish, saltwater other species to include black drum, sheepshead, wahoo, tuna, and a few more in the Star and only after all of that do you get to the big dog of freshwater species, bass. That leaves crappie and catfish tournaments sucking hind tit... if they get to suck tit at all. there is a reason that 2coolfishing and dosfrio are the big dogs of fishing forums for Houston. Saltwater interest far outweighs freshwater interest.

Then when you strictly limit it to Lake Houston and not Conroe, Livingston, Sommerville, Sheldon or even as far Rayburn or Gibbons Creek, then you cut the potential participants even more. Those that fish Lake Houston often, know it is a good lake, but you are not going to change public perception about it to the majority of people. If you didn't grow up on the east side of Houston, then the opinion you hold of Lake Houston is that it is a shallow mud hole devoid of fish. Right or wrong, that is what people think about it in general. Why, I don't know, probably because that is what somebody else told them. I doubt 5% of the people that fish Conroe regularly have ever put a boat in Lake Houston. If I tell somebody that I'm going to Lake Houston to fish over here in the Cypress/Katy yonder regions, they get this puzzled look on their face and end up blurting out, "why would you do that?"

Ask those North and East Texas folks if they held a tournament only on Lake Arlington how successful they think the tournament would be in the long run. Lake Arlington doesn't have a stellar reputation in the metroplex. So, I think that is a good comparison.

I say all of that as an attempt to get the truth out in the open. Can crappie tournaments on Lake Houston grow beyond 5 or 10 teams, sure. But, if you stay grounded in reality, you shouldn't be too disappointed if the lake houston tournaments don't. The potential participants are a very small fraction of the angling population in the Houston area due to a far more diverse opportunity that we have at our disposal. That belt of country between I20 and I70 from TX to the Carolinas is the heart of Crappie Tournament potential and with Lake Houston being so far outside of that core interest area, it'll be a tough long row to hoe to overcome the reputation and the interest level to get many more participants.