Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:40 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: OLHIPI's Gumbo Recipe
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:00 am 

Olhipi's
Chicken, Sausage & Shrimp Gumbo Recipe

Ingredients: ( Yields about 7-8 Qts. Of Gumbo)
1 whole Chicken , 1-2 lbs. Smoked Sausage, 2-3 lbs. Peeled & Deveined Shrimp
4-6 stalks Celery, 6 Stalks Green Onion, 2 Med. White or Yellow Onions, 1 Lg. Bell Pepper
¼ C. Olive Oil, 3 Bay Leaves, 1 Tb. Thyme, 1 Tb. “Tony Chachere’s” Creole Seasoning, ½ t. Garlic Powder
1 Tb. Old Bay Seasoning, 1 Tb. Kosher salt, 2 Tb. Zatarains Crab Boil Seasoning ( Liquid ) or 2 Tb. Dry Crab Boil Seasoning, 1-2 Pks. (5oz.ea.) Louisiana Gumbo Mix ( Dry Roux ) , 1 Tb. Black or Cayenne Pepper, 1 Tb. File’ Powder (Optional to taste ) Corn Starch may need to be added to thicken for “Thick Gumbo” (Optional) at the end of Cooking Process.
(Dice Veggies in ¼”- ½” cubes, cut sausage into ¼’’ slices, cut shrimp into 1” pieces if they are X- Large)

In a 10 Qt. Pot …..Boil Chicken in 4-5 Qts. Of Water (till Tender) approx. 30 minutes meanwhile start to Sautee Veggies in Olive Oil till Dark Brown add Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Old Bay to Mix while Sautéing. Remove Chicken from Pot and allow to Cool and Debone.
Put Sautéed Veggies in Pot along with Deboned Chicken, Sausage, ( Add Shrimp Last) Bring to a Boil, and 1-1/2 Bags of Gumbo Mix ( Mix Gumbo Mix in Cold water to dissolve before adding to Pot), allow to boil 3-5 minutes, Reduce Heat add the remainder of Seasoning and Shrimp , Simmer for 20 minutes If Gumbo needs to be thickened add remainder of Gumbo Mix (and / or ) 2 Tb. Corn Starch ( mix in cold water ) before adding, to Thicken to desired Thickness.

(Add Crackers and Hungry Mouths and ENJOY!!!!)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:21 am 

Sounds good, will have to give it a try. I have to use chicken breast though, wife wont eat dark me or skin. I always add some chicken stock to make up the difference. I have used Louisiana Gumbo Mix several times. Especially when out at the deer lease or in a hurry. Most people cant tell the difference from home made roux and that stuff. I like how you kicked it up with crab boil. I often add leftover boiled crabs, shrimp or crawfish to my gumbos. Gives it a good flavor.