Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:22 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: certified scales?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:49 pm 

wanted to weigh boat and trailer... are there any scales local one can do such?

Post subject: Re: certified scales?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

They show one at texas travel plaza in Humble but here

try maybe one closer http://www.publicscaleslocator.com/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:12 am 

https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/ ... gQodxpIC2w

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:04 am 

Thanks. I hit the flying j's at 242 and 59.
New tow vehicle doesn't tow the same as my old pick-up truck. Little massaging required.

I'll visit again after making some adjustments to confirm new tongue weight.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

could be the way your trailer is fitting on the ball most people do not
there is a bolt up inside the ball coupling you can tighten to help with sway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:16 pm 

You should have 10-15% of the trailer weight on the tongue. Too little and it will sway, sometimes dangerously.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:14 pm 

upacreek wrote:
You should have 10-15% of the trailer weight on the tongue. Too little and it will sway, sometimes dangerously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fkOVHAC8Q

I've seen that 10 to 15% number tossed around quite a bit on the net. However, most information being thrown around seems to be geared toward travel trailers and/or all trailers lumped into one group. Boat trailers may have characteristics that make it a little special? Seems the boat trailer is a bit more flexible than a travel trailer and my boat has outboard hanging off the rear.
Does a tandem axle trailer gets different suggestions for tongue weights than single axle trailers?

I haven't begun to research the weight distribution hitches yet. I was hoping this was going to be a simple hook and go like my old truck was...but I found out that is not going to be the case.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe this will help
https://www.shorelandr.com/pages/pf_trstep3.htm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:59 pm 

To keep this from being a guessing game please post what the weights are of the boat and weight and type of tow vehicle. If you're wanting to tow a 26ft offshore boat with a Subaru it aint gonna work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:09 pm 

sticko wrote:
could be the way your trailer is fitting on the ball most people do not
there is a bolt up inside the ball coupling you can tighten to help with sway.

I could be wrong but that nut is designed to adjust the clamp fit to the ball. Too little and the coupler could jump off the ball, too much and you will have to hammer the coupler closed. Expecting the friction of the coupler on the ball have a noticeable effect on sway is in my opinion poor advice. But I have been wrong before.
In my opinion the poster should have at least 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue. If it "pushes" the tow vehicle around then the tow vehicle is not of sufficient size.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

The fit between the ball hitch and the trailer coupler should be tight enough to prevent a disastrous decoupling while on the road, but not so snug that the trailer will have trouble making turns. Here's how to achieve the perfect fit in just a few minutes.

Step 1
Uncouple the trailer and insert a spare ball into the coupler (a). Close the coupler latch lever. If the fit is too loose, remove the ball, and tighten the spring-loaded nut (b) on the underside of the coupler.
Step 2**
Reinsert the ball and check the fit. Repeat the latter part of Step 1 until you get a fit that is snug but not so tight that you cannot move the ball by hand with reasonable effort. Rehitch the trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:22 am 

Sticko, your last post right there should be a sticky. That is some very useful information. And applicable to more than just boat trailers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:39 am 

upacreek wrote:
To keep this from being a guessing game please post what the weights are of the boat and weight and type of tow vehicle. If you're wanting to tow a 26ft offshore boat with a Subaru it aint gonna work.

For the little bit I pull my boat, I was thinking I was going to be able to make this work. For the long hauls, I still have my ol' truck ... simply letting my 16 yr old drive her.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (little bigger than a Subaru)
Max towing: 6,200 pounds
Max payload: 1,270 pounds
Curb weight: 4,875 pounds
GVWR: 6,500 pounds
GAWR Rear: 3,700 pounds

21' Fish & Ski with outboard on tandem axle trailer: 3900 lbs with gear (little smaller than 26' offshore)

The Jeep Owners Manuals states that a Weight Distribution Hitch is mandatory if towing over 3500lbs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:51 pm 

sticko wrote:
The fit between the ball hitch and the trailer coupler should be tight enough to prevent a disastrous decoupling while on the road, but not so snug that the trailer will have trouble making turns. Here's how to achieve the perfect fit in just a few minutes.

Step 1
Uncouple the trailer and insert a spare ball into the coupler (a). Close the coupler latch lever. If the fit is too loose, remove the ball, and tighten the spring-loaded nut (b) on the underside of the coupler.
Step 2**
Reinsert the ball and check the fit. Repeat the latter part of Step 1 until you get a fit that is snug but not so tight that you cannot move the ball by hand with reasonable effort. Rehitch the trailer.

Yeah, I would agree with all that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:16 pm 

RocketSurgeon1911 wrote:
upacreek wrote:

For the little bit I pull my boat, I was thinking I was going to be able to make this work. For the long hauls, I still have my ol' truck ... simply letting my 16 yr old drive her.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (little bigger than a Subaru)
Max towing: 6,200 pounds
Max payload: 1,270 pounds
Curb weight: 4,875 pounds
GVWR: 6,500 pounds
GAWR Rear: 3,700 pounds

21' Fish & Ski with outboard on tandem axle trailer: 3900 lbs with gear (little smaller than 26' offshore)

The Jeep Owners Manuals states that a Weight Distribution Hitch is mandatory if towing over 3500lbs.

We have a Jeep GC as well. From memory our max tow is 7,000#+. Ours has the 5.7 V8. I have never towed anything more than a utility trailer behind it. Besides the GoDevil, I have 21ft NauticStar CC with a 150 Yamaha. Probably comparable to your fish&ski. I've never weighed it but I believe the Jeep would pull it well on local trips. I've moved the NauticStar around the neighborhood behind the GC and it looks OK...not much squat. I've only pulled the bigger boat with a pick up truck.
Are the weights you're quoting from a scale or Jeep literature? I would weigh the Jeep on a CAT scale with the front and rear axles on different pads. Check your tires for max payload and max air pressure. Air the tires to max. Hook up the boat and go back to the same scale, they will charge a reduced rate if you re-weigh within 12 or 24 hours after the first weigh. Put the Jeep axles on separate scale pads like before and the boat trailer axles on another. Do the math. Be sure you are under tire capacity and not over the rear axle weight rating. If you put 10% on the tongue (400#) you should be OK.
I'm particular about towing weights and payloads. We have a 12,500# 5th wheel and a 4,000# cabover camper. I have a glove box full of scale weigh slips of the campers empty, with water, heavily loaded, etc.
Please post back what you are weighing and how the numbers work.
edit add....I checked our GC tag...RAWR is 3700, max tow 7,200 (4x4), max tongue weight is 720. 4x2 is 7400 and 740.
I don't see how you couldn't be anything but good. I would hook it up and see if it squats too much. You should be well under tongue weight. For short trips I wouldn't hassle with a weight distribution hitch.