Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:19 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: trolling motor question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:30 pm 

I have a 98 18.5' Cajun boat and recently picked up an X3 Motorguide SW series trolling motor (55lb thrust - 12 volt). I'm thinking it isn't enough motor though or maybe my wiring isn't heavy enough. It works just really really slow, I would hate to have to rely on getting in using it especially if any kind of weather. I purchased an outdoor heavy duty extension cord to wire it up. My question is could that maybe be the issue not heavy enough or is the motor just that weak? I know they say no more than 19ft boat for 55lb was just hoping it would work better, just didn't want to add another battery and all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

you have a lot of unknowns there what type and size trolling battery are you
using is it a deep cycle glass mat battery or are you running off your cranking
batter for both. what voltage did you have when you tested it was the battery
fully charged . That is a fairly heavy boat was you in the wind.

also what size was the wire in the extension cord some are only 16 gage

you should be using #6 gauge how far is the troll motor from the batter.
what is the rc of the battery and the amp hours. you are probably
pulling 55 amps or more wide open.

what weight is boat and motor .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:27 pm 

sticko wrote:
you have a lot of unknowns there what type and size trolling battery are you
using is it a deep cycle glass mat battery or are you running off your cranking
batter for both. what voltage did you have when you tested it was the battery
fully charged . That is a fairly heavy boat was you in the wind.

also what size was the wire in the extension cord some are only 16 gage

you should be using #6 gauge how far is the troll motor from the batter.
what is the rc of the battery and the amp hours. you are probably
pulling 55 amps or more wide open.

what weight is boat and motor .

Battery is an Exide 27MDPST http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/exide-s ... ne-battery
The Exide Stowaway Dual-Purpose Marine Battery offers marine deep-cycle and starting power capabilities to operate a 350 HP engine and provide up to 8 hours of continuous 10 - 12V draw. Thick, positive lead antimony radial grid construction provides durability, while enveloped separators surround the plates to protect them from vibration damage and material shedding.
Features and Benefits

Fold-down handle for easy movement
Thick, positive lead antimony radial grid construction provides durability
Stainless-steel SAE threaded posts
Provides up to 8 hours of continuous 10 - 12V draw
Dual-purpose design combines marine deep-cycle and starting power capabilities to operate a 350 HP engine
Enveloped separators surround the plates to protect them from vibration damage and material shedding

Specifications

Manufacturer warranty - general: 1 year
Manufacturer warranty - parts: 1 year
Amps: 730 marine cranking; 575 cold cranking
Volts: 12
Amp hours: 100
Product height (in.): 9.44
Product width (in.): 6.81
Product length (in.): 12
Product weight (lb.): 56

Was reading 12.2 volts when loaded up and headed out after using trolling and gps/fish finder (only things hooked to the battery) read 11.6 volts when got back. The battery is located in the back of boat so it's say 18 ft from trolling motor. The cord I used isn't 6 gauge not sure on the size but I know it's not that big. I did feel the cord and check it often to feel if was getting hot or warm and felt nothing at all. I'm unsure on total weight but being it has 130hp I'm sure it is on heavier side. I knew it might be close on working for it but I got it at a decent price so thought it was worth it. The unit was brand new never installed, picked it up for $220. It will work I guess for what I'm wanting, it's not like will be using very much just to move around little areas without having to crank up big motor.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:00 pm 

12v tm's work great on Jon boats up to 14' anything bigger/heavier 24v tm's will make you a happy camper....best thing I ever did too my Dargel was upgrade the tm to 24v......IMO

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

Boat weight is the most important consideration to take into account when choosing a trolling motor. A good rule of thumb is that you want a minimum of 2 lbs of thrust for every 100lbs. For example, if you have a 3000lb boat, fully loaded, then the calculation is (3000/100) * 2 = 60lbs of thrust. When calculating boat weight, make sure you calculate the heaviest potential weight which includes a boat fully loaded with gear, fuel and the maximum number of passengers

A standard 18-19ft bassboat will weigh in at around 1200lbs, motor 400-450, gas @ 30 gallons 210lb, batteries 150, trailer - 500-600, misc 200 for a total of 2500 - 2800.

so you are right at the max your motor will pull . If you are bucking any wind like we have been having
it may not even pull against it.

Also i don't want to seem cruel here just stating the facts as stated on a lot of the fishing sites
everyone has stated they do not get any good use from a Battery from Academy..
the best battery for a trolling motor is a deep cycle glass mat battery . they have thick
plates that will stand up to the charging and drain down of daily use by trolling motors.
Trojan is a good one . wal mart batteries stand up good also.

I am not saying it is your battery because your troll motor is at its max to pull that load
and could be loosing some to battery and wire. a twenty four volt would make a world of
difference if you ever plan to fish in texas wind.

I hope some other people with 55 pound thrust on a heavy bass boat would help me out here.
I have an 18.5 skeeter bass boat running a 24 volt 80 pound thrust minn kota and it pushes it
good in a 20 mile per hour wind.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:30 pm 

Thanks guys I figured it was at the max was just wanting some other opinions on it. Just didn't want to add a third battery to make 24v, or is there a set up or converter / reducer that works where could just have the two batteries for 24v then hook all the 12v stuff up to the reducer / converter? Like starter, live wells, gps, radio and all up too. Sorry but when comes to wiring and electrical stuff I know just enough to get myself in trouble, lol.

Thanks on excide battery notice too. After looking at reviews like you mention many say they arent very good.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:52 am 

Ok here is the deal if you have just say a depth finder only it would not be much of an issue to just use one of the batteries for that because its such low draw. To isolate you need to just wire up that device to one battery only in the two battery series wired 24 volt system.....but no one does just this.. its always something else also needed for 12 volts. And when the system tires and drains. Your battery with accessories on it die first. Boat wont crank. Tm wont run cant even use depth finder ...add a third battery for 12volt. I get my marine batteries mine from the trucks at boat ramp at Sheldon when they go fishing...lol...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

you could wire your two 12 volt batteries in parallel wont give you more power its still 12 volts
but it will give you much more draw time. but if you suck your crank battery to low
your engine may not start to get you home.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:15 pm 

thanks sticko and dobby -- i use to run two 12v's in the old race car like you mentioned to help start with the high compression but really dont want to use that set up just in case dont want to kill main battery. can live with gps, radio and other if one goes dead but got to have start up to get back home. like dobby mentioned if just hook off one battery, which they say can do, but it puts drain on the one battery and they dont charge correctly i hear. someone on facebook mentioned using an equalizer which puts equal drain to both batteries

guess its something to think about or consider if do change over. i just dont know how well they work or if can only work one thing off of it and have to get one for each 12v connection. for now though she will have to stay as she is. if anyone has knowledge or used an equalizer like this or converter would like to know if and how well it worked for you. Thanks again