Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:48 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Rant on boat etiquette
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:23 am 

Talk about shoe clerk number 1 of the year, but the year is just starting. lol

Friday morning was idleing just south of the 2100 bridge as 3/4 boats were heading up Luce and they were also idleing as we all met in the narrow part of the bayou, but suddenly here comes a boat wot up the bayou and stays full throtle and goes in between me and another boat, then continues to pass the other boats that idled under the bridge as he did not slow down to idle under the bridge either as he must have not wanted anyone to get to HIS FISHING SPOT.
wot = wide open throttle

Hindsight, should have went and got his tx numbers as had plenty of witnesses see him running under the bridge and driving reckless. The boat is easy to reconize as he had a mud motor on it and not very many of them on the lake. His was the only one I seen all day yesterday.

So to the person that owns this boat if you read this site as a lurker, next time I will get your TX number and report you as there is not a fish in the world to disrespect everyone out on the lake, bayou or river in that careless / disrespectful manner.

Could had made a perfect day on the lake a bad / terrible day on the lake.

A PSA for all the new boat owners that fish on Lake Houston, every bridge on this lake is posted / spray painted on the pilngs to idle only while passing under them.

Also the lake patrol just this week put 2 new no wake buoys out in front of the Ponderrosa boat ramp, with 1 on the lake side of the bridge and the other 1 on the ramp side, they also put 2 out at the oxbow just up from the ramp as the home owners must have finally got them to keep the jet skis from running thru there.

Rant over

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:06 am 

There are definitely a lot of idgets that should not be allowed to own a boat..

As the weather warms it's only gonna get worse..

And the big kicker is want until someone say they caught feesh up shalla and post pics... you talk about boats everywhere with several being operated by idgets...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:25 pm 

That's why I Don't Fish Weekends!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:09 pm 

I broke my rule of no weekend fish. Ponderosa had 42 trucks in the lot. And what made it worse was the Dobby got sick. I had to pass by every one on trolling motor limping back in...the weekends will never see me again. I had ti help a newbie launch his boat the friday before too. And I was giving him instructions in what to do as I backed his truck for him. Smh....I would trade my left one for that bad a%# boat he had it was so nice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:19 am 

Dobby I dint know you had broke down I think you were on tm when you passed me.....anytime you have trouble out there don't be afraid to ask for help.....
I'll tell ya this too a good feeshn trip can be had with nothing but a tm, I've done it several times.....I'd just crank up to load the boat....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:41 am 

Thats very kind thank you for that. Also thats a good idea on going with just the trolling motor. I could make it to front of luce and back and about same distance if I go north of ponderosa. Also when I went by you Saturday I knew we were going to make it back in on trolling motor. So I wasn't popping flares or using my morse code just yet ...---... ...---... ...---...lol. The only thing that I can't make is the white bass run in north luce or caney. But Im sure a few crappie make it all better. Thanks again SK....Dobby

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:57 am 
Site Admin

I have done that many times you can do the whole bayou in your light boat on the troll motor
in a days fishing. i have ran all the way to the mouth of the bayou and back on my troll motor
in a days fishing in my heavy boat. you could make it to white bass country if you put a spare
battery in the boat the first trip just to see if you can make it on one. There is just about always
one of us on the water and we will always help when your broke down just get some phone
numbers. we have all helped someone and we have all had to get help on the water at times.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:01 am 

Thank you will do

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:18 pm 

Some of us have work schedules that only allow us to hunt /fish/whatever on the weekends. So I have no choice but to be lumped into the "shoe clerk" category. I am probably one of the more courteous folks you'll ever meet when I am out on the water. I just wish folks would return the favor. I've been there when the dude with the "look how fast I can go" boat roars by at WOT. Not smart in the bayou where it can be narrow with blind corners. But speed is not the only uncourteous act. I had a boat with a very nice trolling motor installed on it that would leap frog around me with the big motor (oil smoking two stroke-loud) just to shut it off a few yards past me and deploy the said trolling motor. Happened twice. As I reeled in another I went by them and was just as friendly as could be. A little courtesy goes a long way on the water. They could have just used the silent trolling motor to come around. Some folks just don't think, or think they own the water. I'm not sure which.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:37 pm 

Juss because you can only feesh on tha w-end don't make you a show clerk, you're juss aahh w-end warrior.....it's the idgets that we classify "shoe clerks" & some of them feesh during the week also.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:14 pm 

I hear you. And get that. I understand work schedules and fishing when time permits. Its just the math. More people more locals yes....but also more bone heads. The guys who contribute to this blog and fish tournaments and have care for others in life are never the issue. Its the clerks that care about their day more than others lives is the problem. And this will never change. Rant is the only release. I love a good rant too lol.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:54 pm 

Hey HT....Back down off them two strokes....l like my smoker.....LOL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:41 pm 

LOL SK! I don't have a problem w/2 strokes. This one was particularly bad though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:43 pm 

LOL.....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:47 pm 

I have had shoe clerk moments, ie: forgetting boat plug, left bow strapped down and tried to power off :lol: I have towed people in and been courteous as can be :wink: and I have also proved how fast my boat is :evil: . All in all my tally is 5% shoe clerk, 90% Courteous and 5% disrespectful but only to those who were discourteous first :P.