Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:12 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:42 am 

My starter went out on me yesterday. I have a 4.3 Mercruiser I/O. The Tracker Marine store on I-45 wants $230 for a new one. That price seems outrageous to me for a starter. Where do you shop for your parts at?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:55 am 
Site Admin

Not saying your starter is not bad . but they do go go out to often might just be your battery

not having enough power to turn it over. My starter is 33 years old and i have never had a problem.

if it spins and just not engageing the flywheel it is more than likely the battery. if

the starter will not turn at all then the starter. I would try the battery first . if that don't work

then pull the starter and bench test it . SHAVER MARINE in pasadena has the biggest used parts

dealer in this part of the world he may have one at a better price. But for me i would take it to

a starter repair shop they will re bush it and rewind it if needed at a much better price.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:12 am 

If it spins and you hear a whirring sound because the flywheel fails to engage with the bendix, it could just be stuck. Squirt some WD 40 on the shaft and let it set for a minute. Then try it again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:41 am 

That is not bad a price as marine starters are more expensive cause they are specially sealed motors. they must be sealed to avoid any sparks from motor possible igniting any fuel vapor in bilge compartment. Its federal law that any automotive starter not be installed in a boat. Try Finch starter service on North Shepherd 713 692 0507 He will rebuild yours for much less.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:44 pm 

Thanks for all the replies!

I did quite a bit of troubleshooting to narrow it down to the starter. Had both my main battery (1000 MCA) and aux battery (650 MCA) fully charged. Tried each of them independently and combined. When I turn the key I could hear the initial click (like the solenoid engaging) but then nothing. Took both batteries to Autozone to get tested and both checked out fine. Checked all cabling and connections and everything looked good. Ended up taking the starter out and did some testing per the video at the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-RzcsdFoRQ

When I close the circuit, the piston moves forward but the gear doesn't rotate. It did a couple of times but rotated super, super slow. Maybe 1 rotation every 2-3 seconds.

Found this one from Sierra for $130 but I've never bought parts from them before.
https://amzn.com/B0000AZ7CG

It's good to hear that that price is not necessarily too bad. Guess I'm just used to paying $80 for one on a car.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

starter repair shop might be half that .

here is one online for for $49. for Marine Starter Mercruiser 3.0-8.2L 96-On Clark Volvo Penta

they may have one for you

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-2231-mari ... aQodTngJJg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:20 am 

Thanks Stico. That price seems too good to be true! Have you ever ordered from dbelectrical before?

After some more troubleshooting I have found the problem to actually be within the solenoid. I'm wondering if it is okay to just replace the solenoid or should I just swap them both out at the same time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:27 am 
Site Admin

no i have not bought from them just saw on line.

yes it is okay to just replace the solenoid just take the

two screws out that are holding the solenoid and twist the solenoid

a half turn sideways to get it to come off, if you jumped across the solenoid

and the starter runs then just replace the solenoid and all will be fine.

here is how to jump around the solenoid to see if the starter will run https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAjMO3Zu88s

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:00 pm 

dwntwn87

if you still have it off where the piston/gear is turning slow, try this as you may have a metal shaving/ burr or 2 holding it from fully engaging.

With a screw driver or best if you can turn the gear that spins the flywheel with your hand.

1st try turning it to see if it will rotate/ pop up all the way and do it several times, if it still will not rise up shoot a LITTLE wd 40 on the gear and twist it somemore and you may get lucky and dislodge any shaving/metal burrs to work out of the gears and good luck as it may just be 1 or 2 burrs holding it up from fully engageing.

Seen where you said it would turn slowly and this may fix your issue, easy and cheap. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:32 am 

Thanks jw!

I have actually taken the whole starter apart and cleaned it up. It actually didn't look too too bad. The solenoid however had one of the nuts half rusted away on the positive post terminal. However, all posts also have a locking ring at the base of them. I could get the starter to spin up sometimes when jumping the solenoid, but not always. I went ahead and took all the locking rings off the posts and cleaned up the posts some. Then kept the posts held out using what nuts I had in the garage. After that, jumping the solenoid would spin up the starter every time I tried it. It seems it might have just been some bad connections on the solenoid. I wish I could open up the solenoid to see the contacts inside, but this one was not made to do that.

Going to go to the store today and get some stainless steel nuts for the solenoid posts and open the starter one more time to grease the gears. I may be in luck after all!

I haven't been on the lake in weeks ( work and vacation) and I need to get my fix!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

there is a big copper washer in the solenoids that slide up to make contact when hit with juice to

turn the starter and the arching on this washer causing sticking . some times i have been able to

turn this washer over and make it work . but you say you cant get the top off the solenoid you

have.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:33 pm 

dwntwn87

looks like you are getting close to getting back on the lake.

Another tip while you have it all off, make a baking soda paste and use an old tooth brush and clean all your connections with the paste, then hit it with a small wire brush and risne it off with WD-40, then wipe it all off so it is dry.

After you get all the connections back on, put some grease or vasoline on them and your connections will no longer get corrosion on your terminals.

Be sure to grease the terminal connections after you have attached them as you will then have covered your metal to metal contact points and wish you many more years of boating.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:19 pm 

sticko wrote:
there is a big copper washer in the solenoids that slide up to make contact when hit with juice to
turn the starter and the arching on this washer causing sticking . some times i have been able to
turn this washer over and make it work . but you say you cant get the top off the solenoid you
have.

yep, definitely can't seem to take it off. the cap is pressed on somehow. but that's good to know about the copper washer. I bet that thing just needs a little cleaning. i'm sure a new solenoid is in my future, but I'm just trying to save a few bucks right now.

JW202 wrote:
dwntwn87
looks like you are getting close to getting back on the lake.

Another tip while you have it all off, make a baking soda paste and use an old tooth brush and clean all your connections with the paste, then hit it with a small wire brush and risne it off with WD-40, then wipe it all off so it is dry.

After you get all the connections back on, put some grease or vasoline on them and your connections will no longer get corrosion on your terminals.

Be sure to grease the terminal connections after you have attached them as you will then have covered your metal to metal contact points and wish you many more years of boating.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm half tempted to wire up a push button/or switch to mount in my engine compartment so that i can jump the solenoid manually if I ever need to. Being on the underside of the engine makes it almost impossible to get to in my rig. Of course no one could know about this... 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

that would serve you good any good momentary switch would do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:55 pm 

Well after messing around with getting the posts all cleaned up and secure she still didn't want to play nice. She would spin sometimes and sometimes not. So i decided to break it open just to see inside.

sticko, you nailed it. Instead of a washer it was a copper plate that was so dirty she just needed a good cleaning to make good contact. Stinks that I couldn't open it up without breaking the plastic. Oh well. Case closed and off to buy a new solenoid.

thanks for all the help and replies!

Attachment:
IMG_9267.JPG
IMG_9267.JPG [ 1.92 MiB | Viewed 3780 times ]