Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:35 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:57 am 

.... last time out, and I thought I'd lost a bearing. I quit fishing and went home. I called MinnKota and they said it could be repaired, and said I should take it to one of their 300 authorized repair shops. I remembered that Fishing tackle Unlimited has a trolling motor repair shop so I called them. They said it was hard to tell what the problem was, but they could probably fix it. I took it to them yesterday around 1:30 and left it there. The said it would probably be a few days to fix it, depending on what parts they may have to order. At 3:30 that afternoon, I got a call from them and they said it was fixed. So I went to get it. The problem was the seal behind the prop which had come loose in the unit. They replaced it and the squeal went away. He said it was running fine and silently now. Got it reinstalled today on the boat, and I'm ready to go. Total cost was $28 and change. If you ever need a repair on your trolling motor, this place is really good, and honest. They could have told me about anything for the cause, and charged me hundreds of dollars, but they didn't.

He also told me a tip. He said if there is a slight vibration in the unit when running, it may be the prop. He said these thing are not always balanced, and a possible fix was to just remove the prop and rotate it 180 degrees and put it back on. After I got the thing reinstalled, there was a very slight vibration when running at a fast speed. So I rotated the prop like he said and now there is virtually no vibration.

Custom tied crappie jigs $18/doz plus shipping.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:04 pm 

Although it shouldn't be a surprise to have gotten good service this day & time it's rare to hear of a good experience like this.....

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:01 pm 

thanks for sharing and thanks for the tip ! good to know honest buisnesses still around .

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:11 am 

I had that problem with mine after tuning it, I'll rotate my prop to see if it helps . Out of the Box mine had the keel plate at a 3% or so angle , so did my Buddy Bob's so he moved it to dead on 180 and all was fine . But he said he lost .4 MPH average on flat water. So I told him , Bob that's a DC Motor and it's Tunable . You probably lost that by moving the keel , that rotates the fields in retrospect with the Armature and you can loose Power and it will eat up more Battery Life. He Took my advice and got his RPM's back. To tune you Trolling Motor . Remove prop loosen , the Two bolts that go through the Field Housing , just till they Are loose enough to rotate it,( Do Not allow it to Separate from the Hub ) just loose enough to Rotate. then power up to full Throttle and slightly one way 4-5 degrees then right back to where it was then go the other way ,you'll hear the motor speed up and slow down, find the Sweet Spot where your RPM's are the Fastest, retighten bolts and your tuned . It's a Small Change but it may be the difference in Trolling all Day and having to go home Early. There are a couple of Utube Videos to show you if you need Assistance. Tight Lines Guys , OLHIPI

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:41 am 

Boy, now that's a helluva tip on tuning a trolling motor! Sounds like setting the timing on my old CJ7. Now, which way did you say to twist the distributor? :)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbN8VdTL3J0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:13 pm 

Glad to hear you had a good experience with them Dutch. Like you, I know very little about trolling motors. I'll know who to contact next time I have trouble with one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:25 pm 

Also a place in Humble G & S Trolling Motor that did some work on mine. Thought it was done and just like you about $30 bucks and 2 days later good as new. Maybe better cause they replaced some plastic parts with new improved stainless.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:25 am 

Good tip, OLHIPI. Someone gave me a 36 volt, Minnkota that has the keel off set quite a bit. The person said it worked fine, but they didn't want to buy new batteries for it, so they wanted to get rid of it. I'll test it out like you said. Sticko, that was a good video showing how to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:56 am 

Yeap G & S gives good service.....

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....