Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:02 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:40 pm 

I'm replacing my trailer tires with some I bought from Amazon and am looking for a inexpensive but good place to mount and balance that wont charge a fortune. I don't want someone that damage my bead for me or give a bad balance. I know balance isn't critical on a boat trailer but I'd like to have it close and not have the weights fall off after the first bump.

Where have you guys been getting your trailer tires changed at?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:05 pm 

Discount tire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:02 pm 

crappiejerk wrote:
Discount tire

Yep & with road hazard ins.....

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:40 pm 

I took mine to discount and they wanted a ridiculous price so I pointed out that they didn't have to remove the wheel off the trailer because I had them in my hand and then he said 8 dollars.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:23 pm 

As I was greasing the bearings on the trailer the other day, I noticed both trailer tires were badly screwed up on the inner and outer edges. I threw both tires in the trunk of the car and went to Discount tire. I could have almost bought the tires with new wheels at Wlamart for what Discount tire charged, but I'm glad I got it done. I don't want to have a blow out going down the road.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:31 pm 

Lemme tell ya what i wound up doing. Im a deal finder (nice way of saying cheap a$$).
I want good quality at the best price i can get it.

I looked at carlisle, goodyear merathon, maxxis, triangle, greenball, you name it in ST tires and they all have bad reviews. unexpected blowouts was the most common complaint. They all claimed to have them properly inflated to the sidewall rating and the load was well within the tires rating.. :/. Looked at regular truck tires but the arguement was the truck and car tires are expected to roll every week or so or they develop flat spots. My boat can sit for quite some time between runs (months) when i get busy and it sits outside so i was cincerned about sun damage. ST tires are supposed to have more "sunscreen" in them which is what turns them brown. The brown is good and shows it is protecting the rubber. Dont be too aggressive about removing it with strong cleaners. Just soap and water.

Anywho, i found a ST tire brand called Trailer King on amazon. I have prime so 2day shipping was free. I paid like $65 after tax for 14" tires. A bought three since my spare was 16 years old and looking it. Total was $195.

Went to walmart to get them mounted......woooo nelly. That was a bit of a goat ropin but it got done for about ~$10/wheel mount and balance. The guy argued that trailer tires didnt need balance but i wanted it anyway. The wheel balance guy complimented the tires saying they were very close to balanced and only needed his smallest weights. Hopefully that is an indication of quality.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:32 pm 

The tire shop across the bridge on 1960 had trailer tires for 43 bucks mounted I got 3 for mine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:30 am 

becksg wrote:
As I was greasing the bearings on the trailer the other day, I noticed both trailer tires were badly screwed up on the inner and outer edges. I threw both tires in the trunk of the car and went to Discount tire. I could have almost bought the tires with new wheels at Wlamart for what Discount tire charged, but I'm glad I got it done. I don't want to have a blow out going down the road.

I found that out as well however, I went online to Discount web site and got the tires a lot cheaper and they shipped them to my home. I took them up to Discount and had them mounted and balanced.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:59 pm 

Those are all good things to remember about buying the tires. I'll be buying some more soon for my lowboy trailer.