Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:52 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:23 pm 

Thanks for that information as I knew nothing about it. What are the water conditions like when the lake is full as it is now?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:18 pm 

I would say go slow up there north of the 1960 bridge, but I know it is do-able as there were boats moored to the restaurant dock on Sunday. If they came from the river, then coming from the lake should be easier.

Referring to the same pic, you'll just see an island just to the north of where the final hook turns NW. There is another channel that goes around the other side of that island, but you will need to make a sizable dogleg around it as there is still brush sticking out a ways off the east side.

I did see some white PVC pipes that somebody placed to presumably mark that channel. In fact I always thought that was the main river channel as that was the route most boats took prior to the drought. Not sure about now though!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:05 pm 

Thanks paddlegoon, I'll have to check around about getting to the restaurants. It would be a good place to have lunch and take a break when fishing all day.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

also a lot of people go to the restaurant at cedar landing for lunch

it is just across the highway from lake houston marina.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:57 pm 

We do cedar landing often...fried shrimp and french fries. We toss the shrimp tails to the seagulls, and feed funyons to the ducks while we wait for the food.

Cedar Landing will take your order from your boat, and serve the food to your boat.

The places up river will not. In Kingwood, you need to tie off your boat to the dock, and walk up the boardwalk to the restaurants. But say you wanted to take the old lady on a date night, and approach by boat??? Kingwood is the place to go. You can even do jacket and tie dining at a couple of those places.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:14 pm 

Maybe 5 or 6 of us could get together and travel toward kingwood side by side by side, and whoever stays in the deepest water, we will follow him, until we find our way up the river.

I know it can be done, I see many big 22' ski boats do it every summer.

Of course, some of those guys have more money than sense, and just go full speed on a plane over all the logs and sandbars.

I tend to want to creep along with depthfinder and fishfinder both going, so I don't do serious damage to my boat and outdrive.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:51 pm 

That would be something I would like to do. If for no other reason than to learn the water up that way.
I didn't know that Cedar Landing had boat docks either. I've eaten there several years ago and would like to again. I guess I should pay more attention when I go out. I'm always going up the East Fork or Luce Bayou and still not comfortable going up there from LHM. One day I will learn enough to feel better while on Lake Houston.

Last edited by TexasT on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:56 pm 

TexasT wrote:
That would be something I would like to do. If for no other reason than to learn the water up that way.
I didn't know that Cedar Landing had boat docks either. I've eaten there before several years ago and would like to again. I guess I should pay more attention when I go out. I'm always going up the East Fork or Luce Bayou and still not comfortable going up there from LHM. One day I will learn enough to feel better while on Lake Houston.

TT one time were out I'll show you some trails to save to your GPS!

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:04 pm 

silentkilla wrote:
TexasT wrote:
I didn't know that Cedar Landing had boat docks either. I've eaten there before several years ago and would like to again. I guess I should pay more attention when I go out. I'm always going up the East Fork or Luce Bayou and still not comfortable going up there from LHM. One day I will learn enough to feel better while on Lake Houston.

TT one time were out I'll show you some trails to save to your GPS!

I would really like to do that SK, but I'm about to buy a new unit and I would rather wait until I get it installed before we do that. I do appreciate that you are willing to do that for me. Most of the time I'm on the water I'm really worried about hitting something. You saw me and doublek trying to run up the river the other day and we were in the wrong place. We almost ran out of water before we realized what we were doing. I mean we were in shallow water and I didn't know for sure that we were going to be able to turn around and get out of there. I told doublek that I sure didn't want to see him jumping out to push! LOL
I'll let you know when I'm ready. Thanks again

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

The run from lake Houston marina is an easy run . run along the east shore till

scotts point then pick up the buoy just to the left of the island off scotts point

from there to the east fork or luces the path is marked all the way with marker

buoys that are in deep water just pass next to them and you will stay in deep water all the way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:30 pm 

I'd forgotten about Cedar Landing - I used to kayak over there from KW (7 mile roundtrip).

Scooper - Paddling a 'yak wearing a tie and jacket to do a formal event with the wife REALLY stretches the imagination!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:30 pm 

sticko wrote:
The run from lake Houston marina is an easy run . run along the east shore till

scotts point then pick up the buoy just to the left of the island off scotts point

from there to the east fork or luces the path is marked all the way with marker

buoys that are in deep water just pass next to them and you will stay in deep water all the way.

Thanks Sticko, I did not know there were that many buoys out there. I will look for them next time out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:30 am 

Yea going up the west fork is tricky. Took me awhile to find the channel. Here is a link to google map of the baic route I take. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=20 ... 7,0.027788 (Full disclaimer I have not been out this year, so take it slow and at your own risk.) You basicly have to follow the buoys as far as they go. Then angle to the left. There is a big stump in the middle of the river, if its showing, you should be to the left of that. Angle twards the dock at the point before the river turns west. As soon as you get to the dock on the point, there is a deep channel that goes due north. You cant angle into the river. You have to turn an cross the sand bars. The channel is 3-4 feet deep. Once your into the main river channel your home free.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:51 pm 

crawdaddct wrote:
Yea going up the west fork is tricky. Took me awhile to find the channel. Here is a link to google map of the baic route I take. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=20 ... 7,0.027788 (Full disclaimer I have not been out this year, so take it slow and at your own risk.) You basicly have to follow the buoys as far as they go. Then angle to the left. There is a big stump in the middle of the river, if its showing, you should be to the left of that. Angle twards the dock at the point before the river turns west. As soon as you get to the dock on the point, there is a deep channel that goes due north. You cant angle into the river. You have to turn an cross the sand bars. The channel is 3-4 feet deep. Once your into the main river channel your home free.

Is this route still good for passage into the West Fork? I have not been from main lake in a while?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:12 pm 

Cedar Landing just across the bridge from Lake Houston Marina