Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:56 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Over powering boats????
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:44 pm 

How do you feel about overpowering a boat? I'm going to add a center pontoon with built in transom jack plate lifting strakes on all three tubes so it will plain on top instead of plow the water and extra cross members to beef up the rear of my 24' pontoon boat! I will probley have to re title it as home built and have it inspected, the transom on the center tube is rated for 300hp but I don't want to push it....probley gonna stay between 150-200 hp!with a center tube the stress will be distributed evenly across the whole boat instead of the last 4' like it is now. My boat currently is rated for 120 hp but I need more to lift the boat on the strakes and plain!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:42 pm 

if it passes inspection and is legally rated to 600 hp, then I am all for it.

I am NOT for overpowering your boat if it isn't inspected by the appropriate authorities first.

i will be really upset if I pick you and your kids up from floating in the lake near a busted up boat, and you tell me, "OH, yeah! I put 300 hp on a boat rated for only 185 hp!"

Since I had to derail my plans and snatch you out of the water...that would be a bad thing to say, as you ruin my boating experience for the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

sounds like your going about it the right by equalizing the stress points . Once you get that much vibration then the metal starts to crack
but you are going at it the right way and it should be ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:01 pm 

Well, I can tell you I'm not just going to bolt a big motor on and call it done! I want it done right and it will be! There is no way I would put my family on anything that was unsafe, I can assure this will be safe...I'm not wanting to do 70mph and drive crazy at wot all over the lake, I'm simply wanting to be able to get up and go if the need arises(storm comes up or something). I'm also wanting to pull skiers with no problem, also if I can get my boat to plain on top of the water it would be a lot more fuel efficient and a new 4 stroke would help that to!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:09 pm 

Despite my last post, I would be VERY INTERESTED in seeing a 70 mph 'toon boat!!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:39 pm 

All you have to do to see a 70 mph toon is a search on YouTube for playcraft pontoons 70 mph is common for them! I love pontoons and don't think I would have any other kind!!! They are so easy to customize and you can do just about anything and still be comfortable! I love the fact that you can relax on the couch and fish or lay on the sundeck and catch some rays or fire it up (if built like I'm wanting to do) and do 45 mph across the lake!!!! I wouldn't put my families lives nor yours in danger, just wanted to see if you guys had any ideas on what I'm wanting to do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:45 pm 

As i said in my original post, if it is safe, I am all for it!

You should see my Maverick...it is safe, and just barely street legal, and VERY fast, but it gets and passes state inspections every year.

Of course, I play with it safely, which is WAY more important than how safe the vehicle is.

My maverick buildup "diary" website. http://scooper77515.fordmaverick.net/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:19 pm 

Just got off the phone with parks and wildlife about overpowering, they sent me to the coast guard and they said since my boat is under 5 metric tons they pretty much don't care and it's parks and wildlifes decision. I got back with parks and wildlife and told them what the coast guard said and they said since the cg dosent care we don't either, all they are concerned with is overloading and making sure the vessel is registered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:47 pm 

I find that to be an interesting reply from both government agencies. I figured they would err on the side of caution, and say "No, keep it in line with the sticker".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

you would be surprised to see how many boats are over powered and just changed out the motor cowling to read smaller than it really is.

people running 200 and more with a 150 cover.

or whatever they get to fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:59 pm 

I for sure wouldn't bolt a big motor on there if I didn't think my transom could hold it! BUT my other concern was getting a ticket or being banned from the lake for overpowering. Every time I've been stopped by the tpwd guys they never ask about my motor or look at the capacity plate, they just check all my safety gear and if I'm fishing for my fishing license. The coast guard on the other hand boarded my boat and asked me about the weight limit and if I had a out or inboard! I asked the coast guard since he was being so nice when he searched my boat about overpowering and he said he dosent look for it!!!!! I wonder if I just changed the hp numbers on the cowling to 120 or had a new capacity plate made if they would ever know the difference?? If anybody has any idea where I can get some more info please help because I'd rather be 100% legit!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:57 pm 

My Ranger manual does not say anything about being illegal to overpower a boat, but it does void the warranty. Additionally, my boat insurance wanted a picture of the boat, motor, and nameplate and cautioned me that overpowering would void the insurance. I have not found anything in TPWD (or even LAWF when I lived in B.R.) about overpowering a boat, just boating recklessly.

2007 Ranger 180VS (Gray/Black)
Yamaha 150 Vmax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:09 pm 

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of insurance do you have? I'm getting state farm on mine and all they asked for is pics of the outside of the boat but the insurance agent is like family!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:11 pm 

State Farm also. Been using them for years. Granted, the warning on overpowering could only void if the overpower was the cause of the claim.

Still a long time till I can fish to work...

2007 Ranger 180VS (Gray/Black)

Yamaha 150 Vmax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:14 pm 

That's another thing I've been talking about on a pontoon forum I'm on, is if your involved in a accident they can void your coverage if you are overpowered!