Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:04 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:42 am 

I start today. Mornings are taken up by helping my grand daughter practice basketball. I just came in from that. I may work out there mostly in the evenings and on weekends. If it takes a little longer than I hope, so be it.

My electrician buddy looked at the wiring and deemed it OK except for the trolling motor wire. He said it was 10 gauge and needed to be 6 gauge (like Sticko said). He also suggested I move the trolling motor battery up to the front of the boat. There is ample space under the front deck on the right side. I'll get a battery box of the right size and foam it into place. Then I only have to add a hinged lid above it and we are in business. I also ordered a 60 amp circuit breaker (Minn-Kota) and two DC outlet plugs that will have to be wired in. The new Minn-Kota trolling motor and the new seat posts and bases should arrive this week.

9:30 PM: Looks like I won't start carpeting until the weekend. Got the plywood today, $85 for the 3/4-inch and $65 for the 1/2-inch (marine). Also got the Ram mount that I ordered for the Humminbird .

Custom tied crappie jigs $18/doz plus shipping.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:25 pm 

How will the battery at the bow impact your hole-shot? Or the ride of the boat when up on plane? I suppose you can trim the motor a little higher to compensate. You'll have to post once your done, I'm curious if it is noticable in the performance of the boat.

2007 Ranger 180VS (Gray/Black)
Yamaha 150 Vmax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:26 am 
Site Admin

If it is in the center on that tracker i would think it would give him a more stable ride.
good question.

Sure would shorten his power loss on the battery and give him more electrical power at his troll motor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:19 pm 

Received two things today that I had ordered for the boat, and two more are coming later today. Shown in the following picture is the new MinnKota Maxxum 55. It is digital and has infinite speed adjustment. The tube that extends down into the water is composite and flexes when you bump into something. In addition there is a heavy spring loaded ball assembly that absorbs big hits and then returns to center position. My other trolling motor was 42 pounds thrust and this is 55 pounds.

The other thing in the picture is the Driftmaster spider rig I ordered. It will mount right in front of the front seat to the floor. The rig comes out with one wing nut leaving the floor mount flush. It will be much easier to reach when I am spider rigging than the individual rod holders were that were in the boat . I will still use those also when needed and for long line trolling.

In addition, here is the Humminbird and the Ram mount I ordered for it. The mount is a gimble that will allow me to attach the sonar to the console.

I'll post pictures of the other stuff when it arrives tonight.

OK, here they are. I ordered two Springfield seat post assemblies. The posts adjust up and down 3 inches. The posts are taper lock, so they shouldn't ever get wobbly/ The seat spider is also cast aluminum and swivels on the long black section at the top of the post. At the bottom left are two DC plugs and a 60 amp circuit breaker for the trolling motor. I think I'm done buying stuff now.... I hope....so does my wife (hope). Now all I have to do is put it all together. I won't post any more pictures until I get the boat carpeted. The non-circular base is called a "D" base for obvious reasons. It is made to go in an area that the 9-inch round base won't fit. I have to use it on the rear seat to miss two hinged lids.

"Retired fishing" is just being out in the boat whenever you want.... and getting a Dairy Queen on the way home

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:46 pm 

good looking additions Dutch! when do you plan on having it back together? did you ever get your umbrella put together? you'll be able to watch those crappie nibble your jig on your big screen now :lol: :shock: :wink: !

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

Check Out Some Good Crappie Vids Here....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:43 am 

Not sure anymore when it will be finished. :? During the week, my grand daughter comes over at 9:00, and we spend 2-3 hours sweating basketball, and then have lunch. In the afternoon, it is too hot and I'm too tired to work in the garage. Evenings are cooler, but after supper, I get too comfortable in my recliner to get out there. ....so who knows??? I'm still shooting for the middle of August.

SK, I ordered some of that braid you use, but in 20 lb test. When I get the boat done, I'll be able to "feel them breath on the jig", and watch them breathe on the jig!! :wink:

I haven't worked on the umbrella rig yet, because of the new diameter seat posts. I still have to work that out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:02 pm 

Got the battery moved and the box foamed in. Thinking about some of the comments above, I began to worry about the heavy battery causing the boat to lean a little. I decided to remove the metal trough under the front deck on the left (rod storage which I never use for rods)) and build a storage box there with a lid in the deck. I'll use that for rope and anchor storage. I have three and they will offset the weight of the battery on the other side (at least some). Also have started working on the carpeting for an hour in the morning and an hour after dark, and also got a lot done this past weekend. That will finish it a lot sooner. The lake is still going down. It is now down 6.4 feet. By the time I get done, none of the ramps may be useable :cry: I have ordered so much from Cabela's, they now send me a hard cover, bound version of their catalog. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:41 pm 

sound like you are getting alot accomplished Dutch keep at you'll be done in no time. i think i'm going to put me one of those umbrellas on my boat, that sun was brutal this w-end. the wind may make it tough to use though.

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

Check Out Some Good Crappie Vids Here....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

Dutch you using stainless piano hinges on your lids

or what is good for you to use.

I wish i had used this kind on my back lid so i could remove the lid when i have to around the battery and bilge pump and things in the back.

Stainless Steel Cast Take A Part Hinge 3.625" x 1.5" (Right)
http://www.boatoutfitters.com/miscellaneous-hinges.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:43 am 

All the existing deck lids are aluminum and have aluminum piano hinges. I'll use either aluminum or stainless piano hinges on the two new plywood lids on the front deck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

yes forgot about aluminum it will work great

they don't rust either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:20 pm 

OK, tomorrow is the last day of basketball practice at our house. Now I can start working on the boat in earnest every morning (except when I'm lazy). What is left should go relatively easy. I ran out of carpet... I ordered 50 yards for a 16 foot boat. I am not sure they sent me that much as I didn't measure it. Fortunately I cut the big deck pieces first. I said at first that I may want to go 2-tone. Now I have to. Some of the deck lids will be painted. I found out that the remaining glue on the aluminum lids is very soluble in gasoline. I'll do that this weekend out behind the garage with a big fan blowing the fumes away. I hope it is windy. I'll go ahead and post a couple of pictures next week even though it won't be finished. I got all the decals off the motor. I'm going to replace them with something more my style :lol: ..... after I get it compounded and cleaned up.

OK, my math isn't as good as it used to be. Turns out I only ordered 16 yards of carpet. It was 8 yards long and I multiplied that by 6 feet wide instead of 2 yards wide. Oh well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:22 am 

Still in no hurry, but I figured I should post a couple of pictures to show that I really am working on it. :) All the carpeted pieces are dry fit, not attached, except the back deck. The big hole in the front deck is where three lids go. Most of the hard work is done, except re-mounting the console and hooking everything up. I'll post again next Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:07 am 

Looks really good Dutch..I bet you can't wait to finish it up and go fishing.

Question are you mounting your new finder with the transducer on the back? If so were your going to do another one on your trolling motor so you could see while your fishing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:58 pm 

My old Humminbird will be on the trolling motor like it was before. The new Humminbird transducer will be transom mounted with the screen on the console. My plan would be to mark interesting spots as waypoints on the new Humminbird while running the big motor about 4 mph. Best speed for sidescan they tell me. Then go back and fish them using the front one for final location. The new one has an external GPS antenna, and I will mount that on the back right top corner of the back deck so it will be right above the transducer. Yes I'm starting to get a little anxcious now. When I see it coming together, I want to finish it sooner. I think it will be all done in the next week to 10 days.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next