Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:53 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:55 am 

Any of you guys running the Lowrance HDS 5 series w/GPS chartplotter? If so, what has been your experience? Is there anything that you like or dislike about it?

I need to upgrade my old outdated Garmin 162 unit, and I'm considering the Lowrance HDS-5M (GPS only) as a replacement. It comes pre-loaded with Nautic insight maps. I prefer to have separate GPS and fishfinder units. To me, a 5-inch screen just seems too small to split into 2 screens, and I'm not dropping the coin on units with the bigger 7, 8, or 10-inch screens. Was thinking of getting a Garmin 541 or 546 until now, but not real crazy about the screen . . . it's more of a rectangle shape than square (like the Lowrance). Since I already have Lowrance/Eagle fishfinder units, including a handheld Lowrance IFinder, I figured I'd stick with Lowrance. It looks like the Lowrance mapping is just as good or better than the Garmin. I plan on getting the Lakemaster chip for it also.

Post subject: My Experiance W/ the HD5
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:52 pm 

I own two Lowerance units in the HD format, one being the HD5..

I LOVE the unit.. a can't say anything bad about them... I did make some mistakes with them, in that I left them on the boat in in climate weather.. more than once...

This resulted in me having to send my HD-7 back to Lowerance for them to wring the the water our of it... they returned it in about 2 weeks.. gooder-N- New.. good customer support and service!

However, I didn't want to loose out on two weeks of fishing during the fall run, so Freddie Lester at Red Wing Boat Co. cut me a heck of a deal on a demo/trade in HD-5 to keep me on the water while my 7 was in for repair...

It is a good unit.. takes some getting used to to learn it.. but YouTube is full of videos to ease the leaning curve.. I love the previous track feature, the maps at least for the Bay System is good, neither one of my HD's have been on the lakes yet... The Way Point feature is easy to use, has a bunch of symbols to choose from, and you can type in name if desired.. there are so many options on both units that I have yet to explore..

The set-up is not too complicated if you take the time to watch a few videos on youtube, and read the book.. It is a good unit...

Pro's:
great mapping, very accurate GPS.. More accurate speed that the Best Tournament grade Airguide water ski speedometers.. good graphics, and easy to read in all lighting.. Good, accurate surface temp readings, will interface with engine electrics,as well as radar, heck even weather radar and weather channels on satellite radio.. (I'm not that fancy, but the unit is)

Con's: The software is not that easy to update., but the needs for updates are rare, mapping is about it, and those are done for awhile. a bit more complicated than the HD-7.. not that easy to hit the buttons and adjust underway, if it's bumpy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:45 pm 

I've only got one complaint :lol: they need to come way down on the price so I can buy two of them, one for my dingy & one for my dargel :lol: :lol: . I like the humming bird also!!!

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

Check Out Some Good Crappie Vids Here....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:21 pm 

Thanks BBob. Since I made that post, I've decided to go with the HDS-7 and structure scan. Not sure whether to mount the unit on top of the console or flush mount. I'm thinking on top for better viewing and for easy removal if needed (less chance for theft). It's going on a 19' Pathfinder. I'm thinking of just getting the unit with base maps only, then getting the Navionics Platinum or Insight HD chips for coastal areas and inland lakes. What maps are you using?

Post subject: IMHO...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:01 am 

1st, Good Choice..!

In my opinion, I would mount it on the console, that way you can tilt it if the sun glare hits at a wrong angle, the screens are VERY bright and this is GENERALLY not an issue... plus you keep it away from sticky fingers...!!

However, the units are not as watertight as they should be, and mine got interior moisture from leaving it exposed..

Yes they come with a plastic cover that is supposed to keep the screen dry and protect it from UV damage, however, I prefer to pull mine and store it inside.. I smear a touch of dielectric grease on the face of the Female plugs,(one on the unit, and one on the wiring harness, so that they pick up a light costing of the grease on the pins to retard any corrosion that may build up over time.. I think that the pins are gold coated, and it really should not be a problem anyway.. call me paranoid.. but I believe in a touch of insurance..

One of the things that I would do differently, is the transducer mount.. seems that the transom mount transducers need to me mounted EXACTLY like stated in the instructions, or they will not give you accurate depth readings at speed, most brands don't anyway.. However, if the transducer is mounted low enough to where the midline of the transducer is even with the bottom of the hull when level, you will get the best results.. by all means read the darn directions before you drill... the shop that installed mine mounted the brackets a tad high.. and it gave me heck until I remounted it...

To get an accurate depth reading at speed, you really need a thru hull transducer mounted near the transom,,, however the cost there is a less that accurate water temp reading.. I think that this unit is capable of running multiple transducers thru a network cable, but that is more than I have been willing to tackle..

One of the things that you will want to do is check and see which software version you have in it.. here is a quote from their download page and a link to it... It depends on how long it has been setting on the dealer shelf...

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Downloads/Pr ... ion-files/

"How to see if your HDS is already using version 3.5:

1. From a chart or sonar page, press the MENU key twice to activate the Settings menu.
2. Select SYSTEM.
3. Select ABOUT from the SYSTEM menu.
4. The software version is displayed with the title "Application" and 3.5.33.217.
5. If your Application is the same as listed in step 4 above, there is no need to download the software."

All it takes is an SD card Reader and a 32gig SD card... only takes a few minutes..

I really have been pleased with my HD-7... I was too cheap to go the side scan, I should have... it is a REALLY nice feature...

Post subject: Navionics
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:12 pm 

I found the Navionics salt water and fresh water chips on clearance at Academy for twenty bucks each. They are outdated maps, but better than the stock ones.

I love the bottom alarm and navigation. However I learned real quick not to rely solely on the GPS to navigate. Its good, but not always exact. Instead of slowing down and properly navigating a shallow area. I followed the line from going out. Were did that sand bar come from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

that is the most complaints i read about Lowrance it they get moisture in them.

You don't get that so much with hummingbird ,