Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:50 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Lake Houston Boating
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:42 pm 

Ive been out A LOT lately and a couple thoughts...mainly for the occasional Lake Houston boater that may be lurking.

1 - If you havent been on the lake lately or dont get out often please idle. Im tired of helping people off the sand bars.

2 - If you see a big light blue aluminum Sea Ark with twin Power Poles and no outboard hanging off the back DO NOT follow me. Ive had a couple of people in outboards try to follow me upriver, across know bars, etc behind my jet and get stuck bad or hit stumps. I myself have got stuck a couple times lately even knowing where I am going with a jet.

3 - If I pass you in East Fork I will not slow down unless you are in small jon or kayak. My boat having only 8 degree hull pushes a big wave unless at dead idle or full speed. With the number of people parked and fishing East Fork Ive made the decision I am going to run full speed right next to bank to minimize wake and my time getting down or upriver.

Raptor

Post subject: Re: Lake Houston Boating
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:06 am 

My above post may seema little d#$&sh but I want to relate several stories from last weekend.

Me and a buddy were idling along south on the east side of the East Fork just north of BJs where the No Wake buoy ended up after Imelda. Im over near the bank in about 12 inches of water barely getting by myself while we are checking future fishing flats. Some guy in an older bass boat was heading north twoard me so I scooted further twoard the bank to give him more room. Note that the deepest channel here is on the west side of the river. This guy got pissed I was not moving over so we could pass each other on the left and proceeded to cuss me as he went by churning mud the whole way in 12” of water. I honestly was hoping he would hit a log.

The 2nd is we were down between the islands in the East Fork just north of Luce. We are headed back north and guy passes us going south (ie he was west of island whe he needed to be east of it) in a bay boat. We went to idle and hollered at him not to go that way but he doesnt hear us. Makes it just pass the island and immediately runs aground. I swore he almost flew out when he hit the bar. We turn around to go help but he manages to get turned around and going just as we get to him. We go around him and turn back north and he he moves to follow me out. Unfourtunately I dont care about the logs in the water but he went to playing pinball with his lower unit.

Raptor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:34 am 
Site Admin

we sure need some rain bad it is getting so low
it is scary to run at all as many years as i have
ran the lake and even with channel markers on
my boat map it is hard to stay in deep enough
water to run the way the channel turns and even
lot of that has sanded in. I have to trim high to keep
from bumping bottom in a couple places when running
marked track ,

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:16 am 

I've said it before Emilda did just as much damage and changes to the lake as Harvey did..... That sand bar at the mouth of the east fork is gonna make several folks day a lot longer.....
I've made tracks from the west fork top the main lake and into the east fork and they are different that what I've had....
A couple more floods and the mouth of the east fork will be closed and we'll be hitting that far west bank to get passed what will be a giant sand bar......

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

Check Out Some Good Crappie Vids Here....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:32 am 

Im glad I bought jet as I dont really have to watch stumps, just make sure I have water to get on plane. Ive actually had to back up lately a couple times just to get enough speed to get across bars.

I agree with SK. I think Imelda made changes to the lake / river that Harvey never even dreamed about. It seems the bars moved further and much shallower.

I know there is a few that get mad at me when I run past them on plane in the East Fork not realizing it’s better for them but the amount of shoe clerks out is amazing. Ive seen a couple twin engine 100K plus boats in the river lately. I just sat there and think, “WTF possesed you to bring that here.” I dont fish as much anymore but my son, wife, and I spend a lot of time out enjoying the river watching the gators, otters, ducks, eagles, birds working, etc. I think my wife is tired of me powering down and saying “Watch this $hit....” when I see somebody about to run aground.

Raptor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:45 am 

It seems the bars moved further and much shallower

I sure do agree with this assessment. I was fishing with that big group in the curve and when I tried to go around everyone, got stuck myself there, not 50 yds from another boat. Coming out of Dunham and turning left I have to run that on plane and puckered then only make it to those laydowns.

Truth is someone can legally run on plane right through that big crowd over there. I mean after all they are essentially blocking that whole pass thru there.

I am getting my BILS key tomorrow so I am going to run into W some this next week. I was gone this weekend but looks like inch or so of rain here.

No one has business coming in and out of Luces that has not done it, period. I know the lake and its getting dangerous for me to run, I see a lot of broke down daddy ski boats all up and down the river and lake next year, maybe I need to start a Seatow franchise out here!!