Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:23 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Loading the boat
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:09 pm 

Can someone please explain the benefit if any of using a rope to load a boat onto a trailer when it has a working outboard. Time and time again I see this usually while waiting to launch or load up my boat. Guys are walking in the water, climbing down the trailer all to get their boats onto a trailer. Just seems dangerous and time consuming to me. Not to mention its not an exact science when the wind is blowing or boat wakes are chopping up the water.

Post subject: Re: Loading the boat
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

Because they have never learned to drive the boat onto the trailer.
even without guide rails to keep the boat centered on the trailer it is
much better to drive on . even if you were to get it only half way up
it would be easier and quicker.
Most people just learning to drive on a trailer comes in way to hot
they hit the roller to fast and slide off the side of the roller and scratch
their boat a little and it scares them and they never try again.
if you do not have guide roller or rails on the trailer. sink the back roller in
the water till the second roller from the end of the trailer is even with the
top of the water . idle your boat up to that roller get started up on that roller
then center the bow of your boat with the center of the bow roller on the trailer
then give the motor a little more gas to push the boat up to the bow roller.

( always raise the outboard motor before attempting to drive onto the trailer
to make sure the prop does not hit the concrete ramp as the boat goes up
onto the trailer)

A lot of new drive on trailers now do not have rollers on them just boards configured to
throw the boat into center of trailer as the boat goes on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:27 am 

When I launch by myself, I use a rope, pretty much have to, but when trailering I put it up over the roller best I can otherwise and then climb onto the tongue and latch it and wind it tight. Nice to have someone helping and I often offer help when I am at a ramp. Perhaps some of those you see have had a bad experience by rolling it over and crushing to bow hook or fingers. A lot dont know how far down to back them either. Then there are ramps like Sheldon which I have to lift my boat over the roller, the angle is terrible. UCBM, this one would fall into the dont sweat the small stuff category for the most part :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:35 am 

Alls it takes is either get to the ramp early or late and practice unloading or loading.....
I just had to relearn my unloading and loading with the new trailer.... got it as fast as I was with the ole one now.....
Practice practice practice...... some just don't put any effort into doing anything anymore.... fishn, huntn or anything else.....

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

Check Out Some Good Crappie Vids Here....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Kisndismis this may help you . when launching just unroll a couple feet of bow line
leaving the bow line hooked to the boat and winch locked where it wont spin. Back your
trailer down in the water till the boat unseats and floats back on the trailer . pull the trailer
up a little where you can climb onto the trailer without having to get into the water. climb into
the boat and drive it off .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:28 pm 

Kisndismis wrote:
When I launch by myself, I use a rope, pretty much have to, but when trailering I put it up over the roller best I can otherwise and then climb onto the tongue and latch it and wind it tight. Nice to have someone helping and I often offer help when I am at a ramp. Perhaps some of those you see have had a bad experience by rolling it over and crushing to bow hook or fingers. A lot dont know how far down to back them either. Then there are ramps like Sheldon which I have to lift my boat over the roller, the angle is terrible. UCBM, this one would fall into the dont sweat the small stuff category for the most part :D

ok so, it all makes sense and I have powered on too fast and jumped roller early in my "career". Not really sweating it as much as worrying about peoples safety. I have seen people wading down into the water on ramp and also falling in the water trying to load up. Just didn't make much sense to me to drive home in my truck all wet or possibly worse. Yall made some good points about why people do it this way. Not the safest way was more of my point than anything else. Thanks for the replies.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:24 am 

I decided to take a break and go in to get a drink around 1230 yesterday. L Houston Marina had the clowns/amateurs out in full force. people backing right down the middle, leaving a kid holding the rope with boat in middle of launch,then finally a lady came and helped them pull it out of the way. forgetting drain plug, motor not starting, so they just kept it on the trailer...forever. All this in about 30 mins of watching.

Also did not help that it looked like someone abandoned an old walk thru right there on the L side of the ramp, it was tied off with tow strap, likely still there today. Guess they call the city or something who knows.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:06 am 

Kisndismis wrote:
I decided to take a break and go in to get a drink around 1230 yesterday. L Houston Marina had the clowns/amateurs out in full force. people backing right down the middle, leaving a kid holding the rope with boat in middle of launch,then finally a lady came and helped them pull it out of the way. forgetting drain plug, motor not starting, so they just kept it on the trailer...forever. All this in about 30 mins of watching.

Also did not help that it looked like someone abandoned an old walk thru right there on the L side of the ramp, it was tied off with tow strap, likely still there today. Guess they call the city or something who knows.

It is not only amateurs that forget to put the drain plug in or cant get motor cranked and kept in on the trailer. Or forget to take the back tie downs loose,,,,lol. If you own a boat it has happened to everyone whether they admit it or not.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:34 am 

The one thing that's gottenme that's prolly worse than all is getting all the wayto the ramp and forgetting my boat keys at the house.....
Can't make myself leave them in my boat.....
That's why I go so much, practice makes perfect..... :wink:

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

Check Out Some Good Crappie Vids Here....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:46 am 
Site Admin

put an extra boat key in your wallet bet you wont leave that at home.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:36 pm 

i thought the idea was to start the boat prior to unloading it from the trailer. In the event you cannot get it started...u pull back up out the way.

If I am going to Lake Conroe, I start the boat in the driveway before making the trip. This confirms I don't have a dead battery before leaving and I have the key in the boat. If I am going around the corner to Lake Houston, i don't bother and wait till I get there to start the boat.

Maybe I'm one of the idgets doing it all wrong...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

not good to start one dry .

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:02 pm 

sticko wrote:
not good to start one dry .

Start it with muffs and water hose