Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 4:33 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:12 pm 

Looking for something to snap tight or lockdown the door lids on my storage box in my boat. They just bounce up and down when riding around. Looking for something simple and cheap or simple idea. Was thinking like a boat seat snap or something similar to that but thought would ask to see what others have done or ideas.

Also just cause I'm not sure I want to ask on this pic of the steering hook up. Would it steer easier if was to move it up to the forward hole on this bracket or would that mess up the steering ratio. It doesnt steer bad but if running good it is little tougher than other boats I have had.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:04 pm 

How bout magnet strips for the lid....no drilling required...

NFB steering is what I use & if it's tough steering it may be time for a new cable.....

ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....

Some go fishn, me I go catchn & always feed'um a jig....May your jigs.....or minnas stay wet..... :wink:

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE....

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:52 pm 

silentkilla wrote:
How bout magnet strips for the lid....no drilling required...

NFB steering is what I use & if it's tough steering it may be time for a new cable.....

magnets is something to look at, thks -- on steering its only when under throttle and its not really hard or tight just wondering if would make any easier moving that but i really doubt it

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

The magnetic strips or Velcro strips on the lids .

if you motor is torquing to one side when running you might try turning
your trim tab a little to one side or the other to help the steering.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:32 pm 

Go to Northshore marine and get some lid tie downs

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:04 pm 

crappiejerk wrote:
Go to Northshore marine and get some lid tie downs

was going to look at what they got probably tomorrow -- got to go get some oil from there, I get the one gallon jug refilled there much cheaper than buying a new gallon

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:11 pm 

sticko wrote:

if you motor is torquing to one side when running you might try turning
your trim tab a little to one side or the other to help the steering.

this is the most sensitive boat i have ever drove on having to have trim just right or it does torque hard to one side (18.5' with 130hp -- when first took it out almost felt like old race car days with it torquing like car just launched and twigging -- like i mentioned though its not bad on steering just thought that little move might make it little easier and its only tighter when running fast, could be me just getting weaker too, lol

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:23 pm 

I would most definitely check that steering cable

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:33 am 

Like Sticko said, turn your trim tab 1/4" to the right side as you are at the back of boat looking at the end of motor and adjust it out a little until you get the feel you want.

Also if you drill any new holes to secure the lid, put tape in a square around that area, then with very little pressure with a small drill bit run it in reverse to start your pilot hole as this will / should not chip off your gel coat. Use 4200 or 5200 sealent in the holes and tighten snug as to tight may cause the glass to crack and the sealent will make a good permanent bond.

4200 cures quick 24 hours and 5200 72 hours is the only difference in these 2 sealers.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:36 pm 

well got the lids locked down now, hooks are like rtic and yeti cooler like locks. Marine grade material so should last.

also on the steering there is nothing wrong with it or the cable, its just me being much weaker than use it. some years ago in a wreck i broke my back, neck, entire left rib cage (losing left lung) so I am much weaker than before and also boat before had power steering i believe -- like i say its when under 3/4 to full throttle that its firm, out of the water or just putting around you can turn with one finger -- just me not being in the greatest shape, nothing to do with cable or issue really